Sign in to follow this  
cheekygeek

2 QBs on the field?

With Frost's comments about "McCaffrey making plays with his legs" and wishing his QB group was "in a 4x1 relay competition",  a comment in The Athletic article "Ranking Nebraska's offensive position groups: No. 1 may be a gimme, but there's guesswork at another key spot"
raised an intriguing possibility when, under "QBs > Best Case Scenario:" it finished with

Also, Vedral plays a lot in September and the Huskers find a role for McCaffrey as a weapon at QB and elsewhere on offense.

Wow. If Frost's offense isn't already keeping Defensive Coordinators up at night, imagine the potential defensive confusion with Martinez under center and McCaffrey coming in motion when the ball is snapped. I can see the possibility for not only nifty gadget plays that take advantage of unaccounted-for players, but also pulling this out when you are in a crucial situation and you want to force the other team to burn a time out. 

With McCaffrey a freshman, I'm sure that they will want to keep a 4 game redshirt year possibility open for him but, even so, it is fun to imagine Frost pulling out such a thing in the Wisconsin and Iowa games (2 of the last 4 games of the season - that could have a lot riding on them).

7 minutes ago, cheekygeek said:

With Frost's comments about "McCaffrey making plays with his legs" and wishing his QB group was "in a 4x1 relay competition",  a comment in The Athletic article "Ranking Nebraska's offensive position groups: No. 1 may be a gimme, but there's guesswork at another key spot"
raised an intriguing possibility when, under "QBs > Best Case Scenario:" it finished with

Wow. If Frost's offense isn't already keeping Defensive Coordinators up at night, imagine the potential defensive confusion with Martinez under center and McCaffrey coming in motion when the ball is snapped. I can see the possibility for not only nifty gadget plays that take advantage of unaccounted-for players, but also pulling this out when you are in a crucial situation and you want to force the other team to burn a time out. 

With McCaffrey a freshman, I'm sure that they will want to keep a 4 game redshirt year possibility open for him but, even so, it is fun to imagine Frost pulling out such a thing in the Wisconsin and Iowa games (2 of the last 4 games of the season - that could have a lot riding on them).

Sounds way too gimmicky. Maybe a trick play that is used one time ever.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Ulty said:

Sounds a lot like the Osborne years. Some of those plays are Classics of Cornhusker football.

• Plus1 3
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Ulty said:

It's not gimmicky when McCaffrey may be one of the most electric athletes we have.

4 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

So, who is faster, Martinez or McCaffery?

I would guess McCaffrey but I don't know.

22 minutes ago, Blackshirt316 said:

Michigan did this with Denard Robinson and Devin Gardner. Gardner was both a primary WR and the #2 QB.

didnt TO do that with bobby newcombe and scott frost?

• Plus1 1

4 minutes ago, desertshox said:

That would have been Solich with Newcombe and Crouch. 

Newcombe ended up at WR full time. 

• Plus1 1

3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

newcombe was a freshman in frost's senior year. he was too good an athlete to keep off the field so they put him in at wr. then under solich they both were at qb. newcombe even began the season as the #1, until like the 2nd, 3rd or 4th game of the season.

• Plus1 1

On 8/9/2019 at 3:58 PM, Ulty said:

When you add a second quarterback, you take away a running back who is probably a better runner and blocker. Much better to train a back to be able to throw the ball.

6 hours ago, desertshox said:

newcombe was a freshman in frost's senior year. he was too good an athlete to keep off the field so they put him in at wr. then under solich they both were at qb. newcombe even began the season as the #1, until like the 2nd, 3rd or 4th game of the season.

Not saying McCaffrey is on Newcombes level but  if there was any case to be made for working in another QB just because they are an incredible athlete this may be that case. He should be a viable recieving threat given his HS experience.

• Plus1 1

18 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

18 hours ago, desertshox said:

Technically no. In 1997 Newcombe was only a WR and never listed on the QB depth chart. The backups in 1997 were Frankie London and Monte Christo. When Newcombe moved to QB in 1998 he was no longer listed as a WR and caught zero passes that season.

Conversely Frankie London was only a QB in 1997 and only a WR in 1998. Essentially Newcombe and London swapped positions.

15 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

Not saying McCaffrey is on Newcombes level but  if there was any case to be made for working in another QB just because they are an incredible athlete this may be that case. He should be a viable recieving threat given his HS experience.

You make such moves because you’re short on athletes at a position. 

• Plus1 1

If Washington plays every single game (which I believe he will), there wouldn't be any kind of need for this unless there are a bunch of bizarre injury situations.

When the original article says "Noah Vedral plays a lot in September" that should only happen if we're blowing teams out. Ideally McCaffrey redshirts.

4 hours ago, Undone said:

If Washington plays every single game (which I believe he will), there wouldn't be any kind of need for this unless there are a bunch of bizarre injury situations.

When the original article says "Noah Vedral plays a lot in September" that should only happen if we're blowing teams out. Ideally McCaffrey redshirts.

Washington and McCaffrey wouldn't have close to the same role if McCaffrey is at WR.

Washington is a RB who can be motioned into the slot or catch out of the backfield

McCaffrey would either be at the Z as a deep threat/end around target or come in as a sub for Kade Warner when they need more speed at that spot. 

Saying Washington being on the field means McCaffrey won't would be like if you had said if Marlon Lucky was on the field in 2008, Niles Paul wouldn't be.

7 minutes ago, Blackshirt316 said:

Saying Washington being on the field means McCaffrey won't would be like if you had said if Marlon Lucky was on the field in 2008, Niles Paul wouldn't be.

This really isn't that difficult. If McCaffrey sees the field in a role other than the QB receiving the snap, something will probably have gone horribly wrong with our roster.

Something will have gone horribly wrong with our roster if he's the QB receiving the snap, too.

• Plus1 1

49 minutes ago, Undone said:

This really isn't that difficult. If McCaffrey sees the field in a role other than the QB receiving the snap, something will probably have gone horribly wrong with our roster.

Something will have gone horribly wrong with our roster if he's the QB receiving the snap, too.

One more time for the people in the back please! 

1 hour ago, Undone said:

This really isn't that difficult. You are wrong.

13 minutes ago, Blackshirt316 said:

This really isn't that difficult. You are wrong.

Give a reasonable scenario where McCaffrey plays a non-quarterback role for more than four games.

• Plus1 1

54 minutes ago, Undone said:

Give a reasonable scenario where McCaffrey plays a non-quarterback role for more than four games.

I'm not saying he will. It's very unlikely unless he's just too good to not play. Which isn't impossible, expecially considering he may be the best backup we have for Warner seeing how little production we've seen from Mike Williams

He's still almost guaranteed to be much better off redshirting and having 2 years at QB once Martinez is gone no matter how good he may be at wideout.

That doesn't change the fact that that decision has absolutely nothing to do with Washington's status or something going horribly wrong elsewhere on the roster which are the assertions you made.

Furthermore neither you, I nor the origional post said anything about him playing more than 4 games this season. In fact the OP specifically stated such a scenerio where that would likely not be the case as they specifically mentioned the final four games of the season.

Again I didn't say McCaffrey would see the field this year, only the two reasons you gave against it were wrong.  And in the case of Washington's status playing a part incredibly so, for the reason I gave and you quoted.

We need a 2 kicker formation.  Are they attempting a field goal?  Are they punting? NOBODY KNOWS.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

In '99 Newcombe threw a jailbreak screen to Crouch, who took it all the way. Granted, Crouch was probably one of the fastest guys on the team, and I don't think McCaffrey or Vedral are

12 hours ago, Undone said:

When Smothers gets here.  

I don't think McCaffrey redshirts this year and I also don't think he will finish his career here as a QB.  

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Jeremy said:

In '99 Newcombe threw a jailbreak screen to Crouch, who took it all the way. Granted, Crouch was probably one of the fastest guys on the team, and I don't think McCaffrey or Vedral are

Crouch played a lot as receiver in the first few games of '99 when Newcombe was the starter at the beginning of the season.  Solich was trying to get Crouch's athleticism on the field and appease Crouch by giving him some PT.  When Crouch took over the starting QB role, he and Newcombe basically switched spots and Newcombe became a full time WR (edited to what I meant to type).

2 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Crouch played a lot as receiver in the first few games of '99 when Newcombe was the starter at the beginning of the season.  Solich was trying to get Crouch's athleticism on the field and appease Crouch by giving him some PT.  When Crouch took over the starting QB role, he and Newcombe basically switched spots and Newcombe Crouch became a full time QB.

FIFY

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Stumpy1 said:

When Smothers gets here.  

I was talking about this year. 

8 hours ago, The Dude said:

We need a 2 kicker formation.  Are they attempting a field goal?  Are they punting? NOBODY KNOWS.

I mean this could be a fun on like a 50+ yard field goal attempt. You either keep everyone at the line of scrimmage or send guys out to cover the punt. Either pin them deep or run a fake or something. Super gimmicky. 

7 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

I mean this could be a fun on like a 50+ yard field goal attempt. You either keep everyone at the line of scrimmage or send guys out to cover the punt. Either pin them deep or run a fake or something. Super gimmicky. 

Scrimmage kicks are pretty defined formations, contingent mostly on depth of recipient of the snap. I’m not even sure how you’d mechanically pull off what you’re describing.

3 minutes ago, brophog said:

Scrimmage kicks are pretty defined formations, contingent mostly on depth of recipient of the snap. I’m not even sure how you’d mechanically pull off what you’re describing.

You would short yourself a blocker/kick coverage guy but you could just have the kicker and holder line up like normal with a punter lined up where he would normally be and the snapper snaps it to either depending on the call. Then the holder and kicker can turn into protection on a punt and the punter is just there for show if its a kick.

8 minutes ago, brophog said:

3 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

You would short yourself a blocker/kick coverage guy but you could just have the kicker and holder line up like normal with a punter lined up where he would normally be and the snapper snaps it to either depending on the call. Then the holder and kicker can turn into protection on a punt and the punter is just there for show if its a kick.

Yup that's what I had in mind. It's obviously a trick play/gimmick so you're not holding yourself to traditional formations. Could be a total bust too.

1 minute ago, Nebfanatic said:

That sounds like a snap just waiting to go bad, and a kick likely blocked if attempted. 

5 minutes ago, brophog said:

That sounds like a snap just waiting to go bad, and a kick likely blocked if attempted. 

On top of that, what is there to gain out of such a manuever? 

• Plus1 1

The biggest gain is the defense likely wouldn't have someone back to return the punt- allowing you to pin them deep if executed.  I don't like the idea but fun to think about.

Just now, Hilltop said:

The biggest gain is the defense likely wouldn't have someone back to return the punt- allowing you to pin them deep if executed.  I don't like the idea but fun to think about.

Which you can do with a QB squib kick. 

Plus side, your holder doesn’t get killed. So that’s nice.

24 minutes ago, brophog said:

Which you can do with a QB squib kick. 

Plus side, your holder doesn’t get killed. So that’s nice.

Or drop kick.  #BRINGBACKTHEDROPKICKMOVEMENT

Probably not a realistic play, but I saw the 2 kicker comment and it made my mind wonder to what a play like that would look like!

2 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

Probably not a realistic play, but I saw the 2 kicker comment and it made my mind wonder to what a play like that would look like!

Hawaii tried a two punter thing last year vs CSU but never got the play off. Disappointed, I was curious what they might do.

I think I trust Scott Frost's offensive mind to come up with the time and place (and plays) for getting McCaffrey on the field - than I do some of the off-the-wall ideas from this thread's contributors.

Does Frost even call gimmicky plays? I can't remember any from last year nor his time at UCF, but I could be wrong. If not, I don't see a reason why you would play 2 QB's on the field at the same time unless our receivers aren't performing at all. I hope the offense is good enough to not have to get too cute but it is always great when it pays off.

11 minutes ago, cheekygeek said:

I think I trust Scott Frost's offensive mind to come up with the time and place (and plays) for getting McCaffrey on the field - than I do some of the off-the-wall ideas from this thread's contributors.

The thing about that statement is that The Athletic's original assertion about McCaffrety, for example, is in my opinion basically on par with offseason click bait.

26 minutes ago, FTW said:

Does Frost even call gimmicky plays? I can't remember any from last year nor his time at UCF, but I could be wrong. If not, I don't see a reason why you would play 2 QB's on the field at the same time unless our receivers aren't performing at all. I hope the offense is good enough to not have to get too cute but it is always great when it pays off.

Does the Flea Kicker count?

• Haha 1