2 QBs on the field?

18 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

That would have been Solich with Newcombe and Crouch. 

Newcombe ended up at WR full time. 

18 hours ago, desertshox said:

didnt TO do that with bobby newcombe and scott frost?

Technically no. In 1997 Newcombe was only a WR and never listed on the QB depth chart. The backups in 1997 were Frankie London and Monte Christo. When Newcombe moved to QB in 1998 he was no longer listed as a WR and caught zero passes that season.

Conversely Frankie London was only a QB in 1997 and only a WR in 1998. Essentially Newcombe and London swapped positions.

15 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

Not saying McCaffrey is on Newcombes level but  if there was any case to be made for working in another QB just because they are an incredible athlete this may be that case. He should be a viable recieving threat given his HS experience.

You make such moves because you’re short on athletes at a position. 

• Plus1 1

If Washington plays every single game (which I believe he will), there wouldn't be any kind of need for this unless there are a bunch of bizarre injury situations.

When the original article says "Noah Vedral plays a lot in September" that should only happen if we're blowing teams out. Ideally McCaffrey redshirts.

4 hours ago, Undone said:

If Washington plays every single game (which I believe he will), there wouldn't be any kind of need for this unless there are a bunch of bizarre injury situations.

When the original article says "Noah Vedral plays a lot in September" that should only happen if we're blowing teams out. Ideally McCaffrey redshirts.

Washington and McCaffrey wouldn't have close to the same role if McCaffrey is at WR.

Washington is a RB who can be motioned into the slot or catch out of the backfield

McCaffrey would either be at the Z as a deep threat/end around target or come in as a sub for Kade Warner when they need more speed at that spot. 

Saying Washington being on the field means McCaffrey won't would be like if you had said if Marlon Lucky was on the field in 2008, Niles Paul wouldn't be.

7 minutes ago, Blackshirt316 said:

Saying Washington being on the field means McCaffrey won't would be like if you had said if Marlon Lucky was on the field in 2008, Niles Paul wouldn't be.

This really isn't that difficult. If McCaffrey sees the field in a role other than the QB receiving the snap, something will probably have gone horribly wrong with our roster.

Something will have gone horribly wrong with our roster if he's the QB receiving the snap, too.

• Plus1 1
49 minutes ago, Undone said:

This really isn't that difficult. If McCaffrey sees the field in a role other than the QB receiving the snap, something will probably have gone horribly wrong with our roster.

Something will have gone horribly wrong with our roster if he's the QB receiving the snap, too.

One more time for the people in the back please! 

1 hour ago, Undone said:

This really isn't that difficult. You are wrong.

54 minutes ago, Undone said:

Give a reasonable scenario where McCaffrey plays a non-quarterback role for more than four games.

I'm not saying he will. It's very unlikely unless he's just too good to not play. Which isn't impossible, expecially considering he may be the best backup we have for Warner seeing how little production we've seen from Mike Williams

He's still almost guaranteed to be much better off redshirting and having 2 years at QB once Martinez is gone no matter how good he may be at wideout.

That doesn't change the fact that that decision has absolutely nothing to do with Washington's status or something going horribly wrong elsewhere on the roster which are the assertions you made.

Furthermore neither you, I nor the origional post said anything about him playing more than 4 games this season. In fact the OP specifically stated such a scenerio where that would likely not be the case as they specifically mentioned the final four games of the season.

Again I didn't say McCaffrey would see the field this year, only the two reasons you gave against it were wrong.  And in the case of Washington's status playing a part incredibly so, for the reason I gave and you quoted.

12 hours ago, Undone said:

Give a reasonable scenario where McCaffrey plays a non-quarterback role for more than four games.

When Smothers gets here.  

I don't think McCaffrey redshirts this year and I also don't think he will finish his career here as a QB.  

• Fire 1