2 QBs on the field?

7 hours ago, Jeremy said:

In '99 Newcombe threw a jailbreak screen to Crouch, who took it all the way. Granted, Crouch was probably one of the fastest guys on the team, and I don't think McCaffrey or Vedral are

Crouch played a lot as receiver in the first few games of '99 when Newcombe was the starter at the beginning of the season.  Solich was trying to get Crouch's athleticism on the field and appease Crouch by giving him some PT.  When Crouch took over the starting QB role, he and Newcombe basically switched spots and Newcombe became a full time WR (edited to what I meant to type).

2 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Crouch played a lot as receiver in the first few games of '99 when Newcombe was the starter at the beginning of the season.  Solich was trying to get Crouch's athleticism on the field and appease Crouch by giving him some PT.  When Crouch took over the starting QB role, he and Newcombe basically switched spots and Newcombe Crouch became a full time QB.

FIFY

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, The Dude said:

We need a 2 kicker formation.  Are they attempting a field goal?  Are they punting? NOBODY KNOWS.

I mean this could be a fun on like a 50+ yard field goal attempt. You either keep everyone at the line of scrimmage or send guys out to cover the punt. Either pin them deep or run a fake or something. Super gimmicky. 

7 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

I mean this could be a fun on like a 50+ yard field goal attempt. You either keep everyone at the line of scrimmage or send guys out to cover the punt. Either pin them deep or run a fake or something. Super gimmicky. 

Scrimmage kicks are pretty defined formations, contingent mostly on depth of recipient of the snap. I’m not even sure how you’d mechanically pull off what you’re describing.

3 minutes ago, brophog said:

Scrimmage kicks are pretty defined formations, contingent mostly on depth of recipient of the snap. I’m not even sure how you’d mechanically pull off what you’re describing.

You would short yourself a blocker/kick coverage guy but you could just have the kicker and holder line up like normal with a punter lined up where he would normally be and the snapper snaps it to either depending on the call. Then the holder and kicker can turn into protection on a punt and the punter is just there for show if its a kick.

8 minutes ago, brophog said:

3 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

You would short yourself a blocker/kick coverage guy but you could just have the kicker and holder line up like normal with a punter lined up where he would normally be and the snapper snaps it to either depending on the call. Then the holder and kicker can turn into protection on a punt and the punter is just there for show if its a kick.

Yup that's what I had in mind. It's obviously a trick play/gimmick so you're not holding yourself to traditional formations. Could be a total bust too.

1 minute ago, Nebfanatic said:

That sounds like a snap just waiting to go bad, and a kick likely blocked if attempted. 

Just now, Hilltop said:

The biggest gain is the defense likely wouldn't have someone back to return the punt- allowing you to pin them deep if executed.  I don't like the idea but fun to think about.

Which you can do with a QB squib kick. 

Plus side, your holder doesn’t get killed. So that’s nice.