2 QBs on the field?

2 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

Probably not a realistic play, but I saw the 2 kicker comment and it made my mind wonder to what a play like that would look like!

Hawaii tried a two punter thing last year vs CSU but never got the play off. Disappointed, I was curious what they might do.

Does Frost even call gimmicky plays? I can't remember any from last year nor his time at UCF, but I could be wrong. If not, I don't see a reason why you would play 2 QB's on the field at the same time unless our receivers aren't performing at all. I hope the offense is good enough to not have to get too cute but it is always great when it pays off.

11 minutes ago, cheekygeek said:

I think I trust Scott Frost's offensive mind to come up with the time and place (and plays) for getting McCaffrey on the field - than I do some of the off-the-wall ideas from this thread's contributors.

The thing about that statement is that The Athletic's original assertion about McCaffrety, for example, is in my opinion basically on par with offseason click bait.

26 minutes ago, FTW said:

Does Frost even call gimmicky plays? I can't remember any from last year nor his time at UCF, but I could be wrong. If not, I don't see a reason why you would play 2 QB's on the field at the same time unless our receivers aren't performing at all. I hope the offense is good enough to not have to get too cute but it is always great when it pays off.

Does the Flea Kicker count?

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

Does the Flea Kicker count?

I seem to recall Frost having a number of different "gimmicky or tricky plays last year.   I believe we ran some rather nice looking 'statue of liberty' type plays and more than one where the RB was either throwing after the hand off or atleast appeared so inclined.   Some of his bread and butter type plays could arguably have been considered gimmicky not that many years ago.

As for having 2 QBs in the game at the same time, that has happened over many decades.   I recall Crouch catching a pass for a long TD from our 3rd string QB vs. Oklahoma.

It appears McCaffery is actually making a strong push for the QB spot, such that Adrian may actually have some real competition.   This is great news for both those guys and even better for the team.   If I am Frost, I view McCaffery as a vital piece of the puzzle which should allow Frost to use Adrian's running skills much more freely and frequently without being so afraid of losing his one and only QB.   This will make the offense so much more lethal if opponents truly fear the QB run game - this is absolutely essential to a potent offense in my view.  Hopefully we don't need Adrian to be a battering ram but at the same time, this will mean he can run hard and strong and minimize the slides and the runs out of bounds to avoid tackles.  Adrian is big and strong and has some shake and bake so teams will have to make best efforts to bring him down or he'll make big plays out of the medium ones.   This is the key.  His heisman chances will grown exponentially if he plays with the all out fire and guts we know he is capable of.      

15 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

I seem to recall Frost having a number of different "gimmicky or tricky plays last year.   I believe we ran some rather nice looking 'statue of liberty' type plays and more than one where the RB was either throwing after the hand off or atleast appeared so inclined.   Some of his bread and butter type plays could arguably have been considered gimmicky not that many years ago.

As for having 2 QBs in the game at the same time, that has happened over many decades.   I recall Crouch catching a pass for a long TD from our 3rd string QB vs. Oklahoma.

It appears McCaffery is actually making a strong push for the QB spot, such that Adrian may actually have some real competition.   This is great news for both those guys and even better for the team.   If I am Frost, I view McCaffery as a vital piece of the puzzle which should allow Frost to use Adrian's running skills much more freely and frequently without being so afraid of losing his one and only QB.   This will make the offense so much more lethal if opponents truly fear the QB run game - this is absolutely essential to a potent offense in my view.  Hopefully we don't need Adrian to be a battering ram but at the same time, this will mean he can run hard and strong and minimize the slides and the runs out of bounds to avoid tackles.  Adrian is big and strong and has some shake and bake so teams will have to make best efforts to bring him down or he'll make big plays out of the medium ones.   This is the key.  His heisman chances will grown exponentially if he plays with the all out fire and guts we know he is capable of.      

I get what your saying in wanting the players to exude toughness at the same time I want Martinez taking as few hits as possible and to pick his spots.  No reason to let defenders tee off on you and get a free hit.

If McCaffery wins the backup job over Vedral then fantastic.  In a perfect world, I'd imagine Frost would prefer that McCaffery gets 4 games in and redshirts to save a year of eligibility and put a gap between he and 2AM. 

• Plus1 1
11 minutes ago, Xmas32 said:

I get what your saying in wanting the players to exude toughness at the same time I want Martinez taking as few hits as possible and to pick his spots.  No reason to let defenders tee off on you and get a free hit.

If McCaffery wins the backup job over Vedral then fantastic.  In a perfect world, I'd imagine Frost would prefer that McCaffery gets 4 games in and redshirts to save a year of eligibility and put a gap between he and 2AM. 

I'm with you.  I want Martinez to be a huge threat in the run game, but I don't want him taking extra hits, just for the sake of taking hits.  He needs to pick his spots and know when it's the right time to use his size and get extra yards.

I think people need to remember that McCaffrey is in his 2nd week of Fall Camp.  Yes, he's athletic, fast, and has a good grasp of the offense, which has enabled him to battle for the backup QB spot.  However, there is still a sizable gap between Martinez (who could be one of the best NU QB's ever) and whomever is the backup QB.

Not suggesting anything, as I would hope they RS him. With that said, I remember as a freshman, Bobby Newcombe was placed as a wingback in 1997 and was very successful. He was designated  to be the next QB after Frost graduated the next year. Sure enough he did start at the beginning of the season and Eric Crouch almost left the team. Then, as we know, Newcombe got injured, and the rest was history. He should had remained at wingback, and he could had been by far the best one at that time since Irving Fryer. But Newcombe was never the same after that and never became a star after moving back to wingback. I don’t remember if he had a bad attitude, or it was poor coaching by Frank Solich.  

13 minutes ago, Pedro G said:

Not suggesting anything, as I would hope they RS him. With that said, I remember as a freshman, Bobby Newcombe was placed as a wingback in 1997 and was very successful. He was designated  to be the next QB after Frost graduated the next year. Sure enough he did start at the beginning of the season and Eric Crouch almost left the team. Then, as we know, Newcombe got injured, and the rest was history. He should had remained at wingback, and he could had been by far the best one at that time since Irving Fryer. But Newcombe was never the same after that and never became a star after moving back to wingback. I don’t remember if he had a bad attitude, or it was poor coaching by Frank Solich.  

The biggest thing that hurt Newcombe's career was getting injured (torn MCL in 1998).  That really took away his quickness and explosiveness as a QB.  I don't know if it's fair to say he should have never started at QB in 1998.  First, he was a super highly regarded recruit with amazing speed and running ability, and probably was a better passer than Crouch.  Second, there weren't many people who thought Crouch would be the QB that he ended up being.  Crouch spent the '97 season being injured (broken foot I think) and battled injuries himself (hip mainly) in 1998.  Newcombe was a better QB in 1998, but after his injury, Newcombe was not the better QB in 1999.

• Plus1 1

5 hours ago, FTW said:

Does Frost even call gimmicky plays?

It is probably a little early to say. You have to have players conditioned and understanding the whole offense and firing on all cylinders with your bread & butter, before you can afford to even start thinking you can execute a trick play on demand.

5 hours ago, FTW said:

Does Frost even call gimmicky plays? I can't remember any from last year nor his time at UCF, but I could be wrong.

He has stated in an interview or two since coming to Nebraska that they try to create new plays all the time and some of them have been disasters. I imagine some of the disaster ones were gimmicky.

And it depends on how you define gimmicky. Are the statue of liberty or half back pass gimmicky or does it need to be weirder than that? Because he did both of those last year (both against Minnesota, I believe).

• Plus1 1