2 QBs on the field?

On 8/13/2019 at 8:36 PM, Moiraine said:

He has stated in an interview or two since coming to Nebraska that they try to create new plays all the time and some of them have been disasters. I imagine some of the disaster ones were gimmicky.

And it depends on how you define gimmicky. Are the statue of liberty or half back pass gimmicky or does it need to be weirder than that? Because he did both of those last year (both against Minnesota, I believe).

In my own opinion, I classify gimmicky plays as plays you rarely run or otherwise don't practice all too much. I'm just hoping the O is firing on all cylinders and don't have to rely on these. The games I hate the most where we relied on trick plays, 2010 OU Big XII title game and 2006 @ Home vs Texas come to mind where it paid off but we still lost due to an inept offense.

I don't see offense being the problem with SF. But from what we've heard about Luke, I don't know how you CAN'T put him on the field this year at minimum within that 4 game rule. At the same time, I don't see when it is ever appropriate to remove your starting QB from taking the snap. Makes me think of Last Chance U when Independence tried a Wildcat formation when their QB was getting hot and it didn't fool anybody.

7 minutes ago, FTW said:

In my own opinion, I classify gimmicky plays as plays you rarely run or otherwise don't practice all too much. I'm just hoping the O is firing on all cylinders and don't have to rely on these. The games I hate the most where we relied on trick plays, 2010 OU Big XII title game and 2006 @ Home vs Texas come to mind where it paid off but we still lost due to an inept offense.

I don't see offense being the problem with SF. But from what we've heard about Luke, I don't know how you CAN'T put him on the field this year at minimum within that 4 game rule. At the same time, I don't see when it is ever appropriate to remove your starting QB from taking the snap. Makes me think of Last Chance U when Independence tried a Wildcat formation when their QB was getting hot and it didn't fool anybody.

I recall there being times when Osborne would bring in the backup QB before the game was over and then bringing the starter back in the 3rd quarter for awhile. Kinda doubt we’re gonna risk that (or have the opportunity very often) in year 2 though.

1 hour ago, Moiraine said:

I recall there being times when Osborne would bring in the backup QB before the game was over and then bringing the starter back in the 3rd quarter for awhile. Kinda doubt we’re gonna risk that (or have the opportunity very often) in year 2 though.

Yep, coincidentally enough, Osborne did this very thing with Scott Frost (inserted Frankie London for a series in the first half of a game). London's drive looked okay, and when Frost was back in the game we struggled for a bit. That resulted in Frost getting booed. I guarantee Frost remembers that moment and that feeling - I doubt he would want to put his current QBs in that situation.

also...the opponent in that game? Central Florida.

8 minutes ago, Ulty said:

Yep, coincidentally enough, Osborne did this very thing with Scott Frost (inserted Frankie London for a series in the first half of a game). London's drive looked okay, and when Frost was back in the game we struggled for a bit. That resulted in Frost getting booed. I guarantee Frost remembers that moment and that feeling - I doubt he would want to put his current QBs in that situation.

Ya that’s the main one I remember. 

Been thinking a lot about our back up situation at QB if heaven forbid Martinez went down with an injury.  I think Vedral would do a good job of keeping the offense going despite obv not being the play maker that Martinez is.  From everything we've been reading about McCaffrey he might not do so bad either if he was asked to step in there and have to be the man.  Of course that one might take more time adjustment wise being a true Frosh.  You never know with McCaffrey though as he seems to really be grasping the offense well for a newcomer.

More than anything just hoping we can keep Adrian healthy this year.  This is the most important aspect of our overall QB situation for me this season.  

4 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

Been thinking a lot about our back up situation at QB if heaven forbid Martinez went down with an injury.  I think Vedral would do a good job of keeping the offense going despite obv not being the play maker that Martinez is.  From everything we've been reading about McCaffrey he might not do so bad if he was asked to step in there right now also.

More than anything just hoping we can keep Adrian healthy this year.  This is the most important aspect of our overall QB situation for me.

There's a chance McCaffrey could do as well or almost as well as 2AM did in his true freshman year.

• Fire 1
27 minutes ago, Ulty said:

If I remember correctly, TO did that when the offense wasn't really clicking on all cylinders with Frost, so he put London in and he actually did worse....so he put Frost back in.  He probably was coaching Frost like hell on the side lines.  The fans booed because a lot of them wanted London as the QB to begin with.

1 minute ago, suh_fan93 said:

That's a lot to live up to but anything's possible.  You do get the feeling he could be a gamer definitely.

Yep, and that's the main reason why I added the "almost" part.  

One benefit McCaffrey would have is that everyone around him has been in the system for two years now.  Last year, everyone was learning something new while 2AM was trying to succeed.

It is nice to have this kind of talk - that we have a shed full of quality QBs that enables to discuss the options.  I hope no QB has to be used because one gets hurt but it is nice to know that we are deeper in that area than what we've been in recent years - actually many years.

51 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

If I remember correctly, TO did that when the offense wasn't really clicking on all cylinders with Frost, so he put London in and he actually did worse....so he put Frost back in.  He probably was coaching Frost like hell on the side lines.  The fans booed because a lot of them wanted London as the QB to begin with.

You may be right. It's funny what sort of things stick in the memory. The booing of Scott Frost is much more vivid than the actual game play on the field. I do remember that day being very hot as well, and I think that was the same game when dozens of marching band members contracted a nasty parasite.

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

Osborne inserted London in the 2nd quarter of the game with NU down 10-7.  The offense wasn't necessarily sputtering, but I think Osborne wanted to get London some reps early in the game.  London led the team to a TD drive, scoring on an 8-yard run.  When Frost came back on the field as the QB the next drive, that's when he was booed.

https://dataomaha.com/huskers/history/game/1997-9-13-central-florida

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Osborne inserted London in the 2nd quarter of the game with NU down 10-7.  The offense wasn't necessarily sputtering, but I think Osborne wanted to get London some reps early in the game.  London led the team to a TD drive, scoring on an 8-yard run.  When Frost came back on the field as the QB the next drive, that's when he was booed.

https://dataomaha.com/huskers/history/game/1997-9-13-central-florida

I recall this situation very well at the time and was one if the 76000 in the stadium.   I attended nearly every home game Osborne coached.    I remember the boos very well and there were a fairly loud chorus of them at the time.   I recall reading the newspaper reporting afterwards and Osborne responding with some fairly sharp criticism of the fans 'for booing players' .   Tom may have thought that was the case and perhaps a small minority of the fans were actually booing Frost but the fact is MOST of the boos were actually directed at Coach Osborne for benching London.   They would have booed had he inserted the third string QB as well.   London had played well and lead the team and sparked them from a rather lackluster effort from the game outset.  Thew crowd disagreed with Tom taking London out - not with putting Frost in.     This may seem nitpicky I guess but to me it is a very important distinction.     I don't really ever remember the crowd ever booing an individual Husker player.   The team - yes for lack of effort, etc. a few times.  But never a player.   Now the highly paid coaches?    Yes.   They've got it coming if the make boneheaded calls, etc.   

19 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

I recall reading the newspaper reporting afterwards and Osborne responding with some fairly sharp criticism of the fans 'for booing players' .   Tom may have thought that was the case and perhaps a small minority of the fans were actually booing Frost but the fact is MOST of the boos were actually directed at Coach Osborne for benching London.   They would have booed had he inserted the third string QB as well.   London had played well and lead the team and sparked them from a rather lackluster effort from the game outset.  Thew crowd disagreed with Tom taking London out - not with putting Frost in.     This may seem nitpicky I guess but to me it is a very important distinction.   

People forget that Coach Osborne has a PhD is psychology. His substitution of London for Frost May have been motivated more to settle Frost down or motivate him, or take a series to coach his starter up and less to “spark the team” or create a QB controversy that could have divided the team. There is no “control universe” to tell us what would have happened to Frost or the team if he had Frost sitting longer, but I have no doubt that Osborne knew exactly what he was doing and why he was doing it. Kudos to him for not letting the fans take over his Head Coach responsibilities in that situation.