2 QBs on the field?

4 hours ago, cheekygeek said:

People forget that Coach Osborne has a PhD is psychology. His substitution of London for Frost May have been motivated more to settle Frost down or motivate him, or take a series to coach his starter up and less to “spark the team” or create a QB controversy that could have divided the team. There is no “control universe” to tell us what would have happened to Frost or the team if he had Frost sitting longer, but I have no doubt that Osborne knew exactly what he was doing and why he was doing it. Kudos to him for not letting the fans take over his Head Coach responsibilities in that situation.

Do you know what his doctoral thesis was?

Spoiler

The best way to get football players to remember plays

• Plus1 1

On 8/16/2019 at 5:10 PM, 84HuskerLaw said:

I recall this situation very well at the time and was one if the 76000 in the stadium.   I attended nearly every home game Osborne coached.    I remember the boos very well and there were a fairly loud chorus of them at the time.   I recall reading the newspaper reporting afterwards and Osborne responding with some fairly sharp criticism of the fans 'for booing players' .   Tom may have thought that was the case and perhaps a small minority of the fans were actually booing Frost but the fact is MOST of the boos were actually directed at Coach Osborne for benching London.   They would have booed had he inserted the third string QB as well.   London had played well and lead the team and sparked them from a rather lackluster effort from the game outset.  Thew crowd disagreed with Tom taking London out - not with putting Frost in.     This may seem nitpicky I guess but to me it is a very important distinction.     I don't really ever remember the crowd ever booing an individual Husker player.   The team - yes for lack of effort, etc. a few times.  But never a player.   Now the highly paid coaches?    Yes.   They've got it coming if the make boneheaded calls, etc.   

Did you personally survey most of those 76,000 people to figure out who/what they were booing? What made it obvious to you that should've been obvious to the players and coaches on the field?

5 hours ago, Landlord said:

Did you personally survey most of those 76,000 people to figure out who/what they were booing? What made it obvious to you that should've been obvious to the players and coaches on the field?

Normally I don't reply to snide remarks but in this case I will:    No I did not survey the entire crowd.   I did not have to as there were plenty of fans nearby me (a fairly representative 'random' sample I would suggest) that all felt the same way.   In fact several made the comment that it also seemed fairly apparent Osborne was afraid if he left London in for another couple series and they ended up in scoring drives (quite possible vs Central Florida - a not so formidable opponent at the time), a real QB controversy might ensue.   

Most fans, I would also add, are well aware that Osborne, not the individual players, make the decision of who is or is not playing.   The fans were quite happy to see London have success and he clearly was having fun doing it.   

I would also repeat that I still don't ever remember a single case where the crowd booed an individual player.   I have heard many an individual fan cuss the play of individual players - happens quite frequently frankly - but the crowd, as a body, not that I recall.   Boos are directed, it seems to me, at the team as a whole or more often the coach(s) for lacklulster play or dubious decisions or calls.   It doesn't happen often but it does happen.  Sometimes, the fans are unaware of all the facts at the time (injury or whatever), but I think Husker fans have been more than patient and deferential to the 'experts'. 

In my view Husker Nation has welcomed home Scott Frost as much as is theoretically possible and entrusted the very future of the entire program to his leadership.   If he fails, it may well be our last best hope of salvation.  Again, I think - as an eyewitnes to the situation - the fans were more booing Tom than Frost.   London played well and it did appear as though Tom benched London after he showed spark, fire and energy and the entire offensive unit seemed to rally abit for him. Sometimes the fans like to see the 'underdog' (the second string QB is often  seen in a sort of 'forgotten' or unappreciated role) get a chance to show what he can do.      

• Plus1 2

I think if the coaches redshirt McCaffrey the risk of losing either him or Smothers is greatly increased because of how the transfer rules are being applied.  Need more separation between the 2.  One of them likely transfers anyway so it doesn't eliminate the possibility but if McCaffrey can be a sophomore next season and Smothers redshirts, then 2021 there would be 2 years between them, not 1.  It's a little more ideal.  This will make whoever commits at QB for 2021 very important.

35 minutes ago, 30-50 Feral Hogs said:

One of them likely transfers anyway so it doesn't eliminate the possibility but if McCaffrey can be a sophomore next season and Smothers redshirts, then 2021 there would be 2 years between them, not 1.

1. Frost doesn't strike me as the kind of guy that plays games like this. He's going to go the "win now" route with what's in front of him.

2. Although anything can happen, the McCaffrey family doesn't strike me as the kind that'll coach Luke to transfer unless somehow he's just not as talented as who he's going up against in 2021/2022. But if Smothers leaves because there aren't two years of separation between him & Luke...well, that's a far cry from anything close to our biggest issues right now.

• Plus1 2

Perhaps this has already been covered in this thread, but we've heard nothing come out of camp about McCaffrey trying out different positions, have we? What we have heard is that he did incredibly well Verduzco's QB quiz (one of the best results, if not the best, of any QB Verduzco has worked with) and that the coaches have not had any discussions with him about changing positions. We've also heard quite a bit of praise from the coaches (and anecdotally from people who've seen practice) about the WR's and how they look now.

Of course, that doesn't mean they may not have some gimmicks or off-shoots that utilize McCaffrey's skill set, but we also haven't heard much about that, either. That may mean something, it may mean nothing.

In a perfect scenario, I imagine Vedral is the safe #2 at this point in time, meaning he would be the go-to option if AM had to leave the game and the season were on the line. McCaffrey I think would ideally get his four games and then redshirt.

3 minutes ago, Enhance said:

Perhaps this has already been covered in this thread, but we've heard nothing come out of camp about McCaffrey trying out different positions, have we? What we have heard is that he did incredibly well Verduzco's QB quiz (one of the best results, if not the best, of any QB Verduzco has worked with) and that the coaches have not had any discussions with him about changing positions. We've also heard quite a bit of praise from the coaches (and anecdotally from people who've seen practice) about the WR's and how they look now.

There has definitely NOT been any talk of any other positions.  And I can't remember for sure but it seems like a reporter asked that question a couple weeks ago and it was shot down pretty hard.

Edit:

He's the report from earlier in this thread:

McCaffrey said NU’s coaches never changed their message to him from the recruiting process to now, and there has never been any talk of him playing a different position. He said they’ve told him he’s here to compete for the starting QB job.

50 minutes ago, 30-50 Feral Hogs said:

I think if the coaches redshirt McCaffrey the risk of losing either him or Smothers is greatly increased because of how the transfer rules are being applied.  Need more separation between the 2.  One of them likely transfers anyway so it doesn't eliminate the possibility but if McCaffrey can be a sophomore next season and Smothers redshirts, then 2021 there would be 2 years between them, not 1.  It's a little more ideal.  This will make whoever commits at QB for 2021 very important.

Pretty sure the separation doesn't matter most of the time.  Either they're starting or their not.  Either they're going to wait or their not.  

If McCaffrey doesn't redshirt, he's closer to the established starter.  If he does, he's closer to the next guy.  If Smothers redshirts, he's closer to the guy behind him.  Zero sum game (basically). 

Quarterbacks transfer.  There's really no way around it.  You do the best that you can for your team that year and sort it out later.

And keep recruiting.

• Plus1 2

18 minutes ago, Undone said:

1. Frost doesn't strike me as the kind of guy that plays games like this. He's going to go the "win now" route with what's in front of him.

2. Although anything can happen, the McCaffrey family doesn't strike me as the kind that'll coach Luke to transfer unless somehow he's just not as talented as who he's going up against in 2021/2022. But if Smothers leaves because there aren't two years of separation between him & Luke...well, that's a far cry from anything close to our biggest issues right now.

I don't believe Frost would play McCaffrey just to avoid redshirting him.  My comment was based on McCaffrey being good enough to see the field this season.  And I don't think transferring is really in the mindset of the McCaffrey family either but it's also a very new landscape with how transfers are handled so it's too early to know.

2 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Pretty sure the separation doesn't matter most of the time.  Either they're starting or their not.  Either they're going to wait or their not.  

If McCaffrey doesn't redshirt, he's closer to the established starter.  If he does, he's closer to the next guy.  If Smothers redshirts, he's closer to the guy behind him.  Zero sum game (basically). 

Quarterbacks transfer.  There's really no way around it.  You do the best that you can for your team that year and sort it out later.

And keep recruiting.

As I mentioned, I think they only reduce the chance of him transferring by him not redshirting.  Not eliminate it.  It may not matter either way.  Who knows?  But in reality, he needs to be good enough to be able to see the field before we can speculate any further.

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

There has definitely NOT been any talk of any other positions.  And I can't remember for sure but it seems like a reporter asked that question a couple weeks ago and it was shot down pretty hard.

That's what I was thinking, too. I think that solidifies it. I also just listened to Sip's Friday segment on Severe & Benning and he said Walters gave the fairly clear impression last week that there were eight guys they really liked at WR so far this year, so much so that some of the younger guys (like Nance) may not need to be relied on. Barring injury, most of the young WR blood may be on the four games and redshirt path.

So, outside of gimmick, doesn't seem like there's any real substance to McCaffrey playing WR.

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

100% agree. I think a lot of fans put way too much stock into the QB separation and 'but will he leave?' discussion. Virtually every recruiting reporter out there will tell you that a program's QB depth doesn't really matter much as someone might think. Most QB's are entering college believing they're the best and/or they're going to win the starting job. If they don't, and they want to start, they transfer. I think the coaches are incredibly aware of this and do their best to prepare for it.

In Smother's case, we might get a year out of him because of the redshirt rule. But, if McCaffrey or someone beats him out in 2021, somebody is likely going to transfer and it just is what it is.

23 minutes ago, Enhance said:

100% agree. I think a lot of fans put way too much stock into the QB separation and 'but will he leave?' discussion. Virtually every recruiting reporter out there will tell you that a program's QB depth doesn't really matter much as someone might think. Most QB's are entering college believing they're the best and/or they're going to win the starting job. If they don't, and they want to start, they transfer. I think the coaches are incredibly aware of this and do their best to prepare for it.

In Smother's case, we might get a year out of him because of the redshirt rule. But, if McCaffrey or someone beats him out in 2021, somebody is likely going to transfer and it just is what it is.

Part of - maybe a lot of - the reason we've struggled getting some QB depth over the last 10ish years is we had two straight guys who started as Freshman and stayed until they were seniors (TMartinez and Armstrong).  That's not the most appealing situation to recruit into.  On the day Gebbia committed I said there was basically no chance that both he and POB finished their careers at Nebraska.  That's just how it works now-a-days.

McCaffrey is basically the perfect guy to bring in one year behind Martinez: an elite athlete who - due to lack of experience - has some growing to do as a QB.  That combined (hopefully) with his family background would give you a guy who is fine with waiting a bit.  But I would say the chances of both him and Smothers both playing out their eligibility here is already extremely small (barring a position switch for one). So you keep Smothers in the fold and work like crazy on your 2021 guy.  Because you can bank on losing at least one of the three.  So you've got to keep the hopper full.

1 minute ago, Mavric said:

Part of - maybe a lot of - the reason we've struggled getting some QB depth over the last 10ish years is we had two straight guys who started as Freshman and stayed until they were seniors (TMartinez and Armstrong).  That's not the most appealing situation to recruit into.  On the day Gebbia committed I said there was basically no chance that both he and POB finished their careers at Nebraska.  That's just how it works now-a-days.

McCaffrey is basically the perfect guy to bring in one year behind Martinez: an elite athlete who - due to lack of experience - has some growing to do as a QB.  That combined (hopefully) with his family background would give you a guy who is fine with waiting a bit.  But I would say the chances of both him and Smothers both playing out their eligibility here is already extremely small (barring a position switch for one). So you keep Smothers in the fold and work like crazy on your 2021 guy.  Because you can bank on losing at least one of the three.  So you've got to keep the hopper full.

Great summary, Mav.  With QB's, teams have to recruit one or two great ones every year, and hope they stick around.  It's nearly impossible to control the QB transfer problem, it's just the way of life in college football.  Hopefully Frost and Verduzco build the relationships with the QB's and they want to stick around, but there are going to be guys that transfer.  I'm sure both McCaffrey and Smothers think they are going to win the QB job in 2021 (assuming Adrian leaves early for the NFL), as you have pointed out, it's unlikely that both of them stay at NU for their entire college careers.

I think one avenue where Frost can use to keep the QB depth strong is targeting walk-ons each year.  Frost can ask an in-state or nearby QB to walk-on, and if he ends up getting the #2 spot, he will be put on scholarship.