The Athletic: Feldman: 40 college football assistant coaches to watch in 2019

GSG

The Athletic: Feldman: 40 college football assistant coaches to watch in 2019

14. Erik Chinander, Nebraska, defensive coordinator

It’s been a while since Nebraska had a salty defense, but the Huskers got a lot better under the 39-year-old Iowa product. Nebraska improved by 26 spots in the national scoring defense rankings from the unit Chinander inherited. At UCF, he took over a Knights defense that had allowed 38 points per game in 2015 and two years later, UCF lowered that average to 25 points per game. Chinander also helped UCF improve its national ranking in scoring defense by 65 spots in his two seasons in Orlando.

22. Troy Walters, Nebraska, offensive coordinator

The former standout receiver is positioned well from his time as Scott Frost’s right-hand man running the offense, first at UCF and now at Nebraska, where it feels like the Huskers are primed to make some waves in the Big Ten West. The former Stanford All-American could be in play for Mountain West jobs or maybe in the MAC.

• Plus1 5

Thanks for linking @GSG, I would have missed this.  Nice to see the assistant coaches getting some run.  I'm a bit surprised that Walters isn't above Chin just due to the nature of Frost's teams being so gaudy offensively.  Maybe he's getting dinged a bit since Frost has a lot of input on the play calling and whatnot?

Just now, bugeater17 said:

The athletic continues to pump out great material.

Chins seems a bit high but I think he belongs on the list - just a bit further down the list. 

Couldn't agree more on The Athletic, I've been really happy with my subscription thus far.  The first year pricing with the discounts makes it a steal.  It's like $25-$30 for the year.