One Player from the Riley Disaster

Since we seem to be rehashing the same topics over and over again, I was trying to come up with something new to discuss over the next 19 days. So, if you could choose one offensive and one defensive player that was on a Mike Riley roster to bring back for the 2019 season who would you choose? It feels like some great talent was wasted during those three seasons. 

On defense, I think I'd bring back Luke Gifford for another year. With more good coaching from Frost and Co I think that he could be a great OLB option this year which is a major position of need. I think De'Mornay Pierson-El lost a lot of potential to injuries and I think he could have excelled in a frost offense. 

So, who does everyone else have?

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Jeremy said:

I thought this would be about bonehead plays from the Riley era. I would go with the byu hail Mary that started the misery off, or when Armstrong threw the ball against Illinois late with the lead when kneeling would have won it.

It was 3rd down, kneeling would not have ended the actual game.  Mike called a play in formation they never ran from in practice.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, KingBlank said:

It was 3rd down, kneeling would not have ended the actual game.  Mike called a play in formation they never ran from in practice.

It stopped the clock with 55 seconds left and Illinois had no timeouts. If you don't stop the clock you can run the entire play clock down on 4th down and essentially no matter what you do  Illinois has at best has a couple seconds 70+ yards from their endzone to maybe run one play, though since the failed pass to Janovich on 4th down took 10 seconds off the clock there is a good chance the game ends on that 4th down play.

Keeping the clock running, using the entire playclock and taking a 5 yard delay of game penalty also means you can kick a 32 yard field goal and if there's any time left the game ends on a squib kick.

• Plus1 3