recruting wars

I got this in an email, thought it was kind of neat, Not sure where it was posted first but I thought the board might enjoy it. All credit goes to the original author

Big XII North Recruiting Rankings: A new approach

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last week a poster counted up all the BCS offers kids had received at all the Big XII North schools to attempt to see which schools are recruiting the best quality kids.

This post got me thinking. The previous poster counted up all the BSC offers a kid had received, but I wanted to see how Big XII North teams were recruiting against top 25 schools only (as opposed to total BCS offers). I used the Rivals preseason top 25 as a gauge. The idea is that the Preseason top 25 teams are not only some of the most successful programs on the field recently but they are also the schools doing the best job recruiting. I assigned the #1 team (Ohio State) 25 points down through #25 Alabama who was worth 1 point. I did not count offers by BCS or non BCS schools not ranked in the top 25 at all.

For instance, Harrison Beck was worth 60 points (17 for Florida, 12 for FSU, 16 for Miami, and 15 for Michigan.) Zach Potter was worth 24 points for his offer from Notre Dame.

I realize this is not scientific in the least, but it not only gives us a gauge for the quality of recruits we are getting vs. other Big XII North Schools it also shows how well Nebraska recruits against the big boys of college football vs. how well the other Big XII North schools recruit against the big boys.

I only looked at the ’04, ’05 & ’06 classes. I realize that Callahan did not have much time to put together the ’04 class, but looking at these three classes will give us an idea of what to expect on the field over the next couple years.

Without further adieu, here are the results:

‘04

1. Kansas State: 146 Points, 5.62 points/player (average)

2. Nebraska: 98 , 4.9/player

3. Missouri: 76, 3.04/player

4. Iowa State: 58, 2/player

5. Kansas: 38, 1.81/player

6. Colorado 0,0/player

‘05

1. Nebraska: 345 Points, 10.78/player

2. Iowa State: 123, 4.56/player

3. (Tie)Mizzou: 63, 2.74/player

KSU: 63, 2.42/player

5. Kansas: 42, 1.5/player

6. Colorado: 0, 0/player

‘06

1. Nebraska: 259 Points, 11.8/player

2. Colorado: 50, 2.27/player

3. KSU: 41, 1.37/player

4. Missouri: 36, 1.5/player

5. Kansas: 30, 1.2/player

6. Iowa State: 7, 0.23/player

The Overall Rankings for all three years:

1. Nebraska: 702 points, 9.49/player

2. KSU: 250 points, 3.05/player

3. Iowa State: 188 points, 2.19/player

4. Missouri: 175 points, 2.43/player

5. Kansas: 110 points, 1.49/player

6. Colorado: 50 points, 0.746/player

A few things pop out: One, Nebraska is kicking butt in recruiting and is head and shoulders above the other Big XII North schools when it comes to winning recruiting battles against top schools (not that we didn’t already know that). Two, Iowa State is very inconsistent. Three, Kansas State might be a tougher game than we think this year based on their ’04 recruiting class but then they will suck badly. Four, Dan Hawkins looks like he will be a good recruiter, at least compared to Barnett considering Hawkins only had a couple months to put together his class.

Also of interest, Cruz Barrett had the highest point total of any Nebraska recruit (or any Big XII North recruit for that matter) He was worth 67 points for his offers from FSU (12), Florida (17) , OU (18) and West Virginia (20).

Nebraska has 3 recruits worth more points by themselves than the total points Colorado had the entire 3 years. Cruz (67), Beck (60) and Zackary Bowman (53)

I realize this analysis does not take into account certain aspects of recruiting but it is pretty fair. For instance, if a kid got 40 offers which might skew the rankings, I only used the offers Rivals had listed which was only 7 or 8 at the most. This kept any one kid from totally skewing the rankings. As Rojo would say, just something to think about.