The emasculation of the American Farmer

10 minutes ago, TheSker said:

I doubt anyone is unaware of your opinion.

they want to vote against their own self interests and that's ok.   it's their vote.   and i know some farmers won't vote for the conman....they have seen through his facade.   but a big majority will vote for him solely because of that letter by his name. 

• Plus1 1

17 hours ago, TheSker said:

Who do they vote for?

They will vote for the person who will help their pocketbook.  Which will probably be a Democrat who will stop Trump's nonsense tariff policies.   It isn't Trump this time around.  He said he would do so in 2016 but the Farmers became his whipping boys/gals in his game of tag with China.  However when China tagged back, the farmers were "IT" and not Trump. I don't think Trump would do a tariff on something that would affect his business enterprises. So he plays wt the interests of those who can't defend themselves and gives them a subsidy in return - hardly a good return for the lost profit and travail they are going through because of Trump's boneheaded policies.   

• Plus1 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Whoever wins the Dem nomination needs to present a clear vision to how they are going to help farmers gain back the ground they lost.  Not just blame Trump for their problems.

Most farmers I know still plan to vote for Trump because they don't see how a Dem would make it better either.  And I haven't heard a dem candidate lay out how they'll help either, so I don't necessarily blame the farmers...

• Plus1 3
45 minutes ago, funhusker said:

Whoever wins the Dem nomination needs to present a clear vision to how they are going to help farmers gain back the ground they lost.  Not just blame Trump for their problems.

Most farmers I know still plan to vote for Trump because they don't see how a Dem would make it better either.  And I haven't heard a dem candidate lay out how they'll help either, so I don't necessarily blame the farmers...

Not to be flippant, but Elizabeth Warren has a plan for that:  https://medium.com/@teamwarren/a-new-farm-economy-8db50fac0551

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2

36 minutes ago, NM11046 said:

Not to be flippant, but Elizabeth Warren has a plan for that:  https://medium.com/@teamwarren/a-new-farm-economy-8db50fac0551

That's an interesting idea.  I'm perfectly fine with rethinking how we do things....including supporting agriculture.  One thing that made me roll my eyes though was this part:

As a consequence, the agriculture sector has become one of the largestpolluters in our economy. As farmers are pressured to plant fence row to fence row and use more fertilizer in search of a higher yield, rural communities lose their soil and water and the environment suffers.

I know it's a small part of the entire article.  But, farming today pollutes much less than it did years ago.  Can it improve?  Yes.  But, this statement makes it sound like there haven't been efforts in the industry to improve.

Now, about the Supply Management Program.  Most farmers I know would love to not need the farm program to support them.  I'm not against looking at something like this.  But, I would need more information before I can say I fully support it.

2 hours ago, funhusker said:

True.  But that message isn't being delivered in Nebraska unless people make an effort to go look for it.  

I think we'll see more appropriate messaging (policies that are pertinent to the audience) as they hit states outside the early primary ones, has she (or anyone else running) been to NE yet?

I know that she's def shared policy and ideas specific to her audiences, so Id anticipate this would come up in Iowa and other spots.  I'd have to look at her appearances in IA to see if she got into it there.

The new rotating banners on HuskerBoard are relatively small and non-intrusive, but I still didn't like seeing the face of Wayne LaPierre on the latest one. 

I'm sure we looked like a swell demographic fit, but someone should tell the NRA that HuskerBoard P&R got taken over by the libs. 

• Haha 3