Which type I-back do you prefer?

I-Back Type Preference  

64 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

52 minutes ago, billdozer15 said:

One could argue part of that temper is what made him so great.....on the field. 

And anyone making that argument would be wrong. Did he run/play in a violent manner, sometimes-sure, but if you’ve read much about him from his coaches and teammates you’d know his success on the field really had nothing to do with his temper and demons off of it. Every account I’ve ever seen (and they’re many) claims he was a great teammate and actually a stable, calming force in practice, on the sidelines and in games. You don’t receive those glowing reviews based on being controlled by a temper.

1 hour ago, brophog said:

Impossible. It’s a false dichotomy.

I didn't find the actual statistic (most rushing TDs per attempt) by historical records for NU so I just looked over the career thousand yard rushers and would suggest the llist is weighted pretty heavily toward the powerful vs the speedy quick little ones.    Note:   we have had many RBs that possess both speed and power so they certainly qualify under the power category as it is ideal to have both.  But arguably Nebraska coaches have elected to put the fastest POWERFUL runners out there over the speedy not so powerful ones.  We've had dam few RBs who were not atleast 4.6 or faster so we really have few slow bruisers to consider in my view.

POWER & SPEED and or QUICKNESS:   Rozier, Green, R Craig, Dubose, Phillips, Bukhalter, Kinney, Orduna, T Davis, Dedrick, C Jones, Burkhead, plus almost all the fullbacks and many more backups etc at I back and full back (dozens more certainly).  Ozigbo ought to be mentioned even though his career total yards is not all that exceptional.  His YPC were notable on a losing team surely.

SPEED / QUICKNESS w/little power:   Helu, C Ross, D. Brown, T Rodgers, j Redwine, Rick Berns, IM Hipp, Reynolds, K Jones F Solich (arguably).   Actually, one could make a case that Abdullah,  K. Jones, IM Hipp maybe even Helu could be moved up the list, although one would not think of them as pile pushers.   

Don't know if it is fair to say someone like E. Crouch was not a powerful runner as he was 6 and 200 lbs and did run hard at times.  

NU has had very few smaller "scat' backs over the years so I am sure the most touchdowns were produced by powerful RBs historically  Wandale Robinson and Mo Washington would seem to be more likely to end up in the latter group but their careers are just beginning and we don't know what size and so on they will end up being.    

20 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Going back thru the RB’s of my time here is how I would classify the best RB’s I have seen play since the early 80s. 

Rozier: great combo of size and speed

Keith Jones: pure speed back with sprinter’s speed

Ken Clark: power back with good speed

Derek Brown: speed and agility with decent power, versatile back

Calvin Jones: good combo of size and speed

LP:  best combo of size and speed. Most talented NU I-back ever

Ahman:  speed back who had power when needed. Probably the 3rd best I-back ever at NU

Helu: speed back who could break the long runs

Burkhead:  power back who could get tough yards between tackles by making himself small and finding the creases

Ameer:  good, but not great speed. Great power for his size, very quick and elusive with the ability to get to top speed after 1 cut. 4th best I-back in my lifetime at NU. 

I believe you described Bo Jackson.

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

I would say the only reason Craig (arguably the best pro career of any Husker RB) doesn’t make the top 4 or 5 on this list is because he had the disadvantage of most of his career coinciding with that of Rozier.  If Roger would’ve been the feature back for 3 or 4 years he’d likely be widely considered just as high as Rozier.

And of course I prefer a combination of speed and toughness at the RB position. But I chose toughness/physicality over speed on the assumption that it had to be one or the other. Also it’s really dependent on the quality of the O line. With our better O lines, I would lean towards speed/quick backs. But with average to poor O lines, definitely the physical type back.

While Craig had decent speed, I guess I can’t classify him as a burner. Those who remember the 1981 game where Nebraska beat Missouri 6 to 0, Craig broke into the clear of what appeared to be a sure TD. But there was a DB who was at least 10 yards behind him and who caught up to him and brought him down without any angle. With that said, Craig was a great back. 

10 hours ago, brophog said:

I posted this earlier this offseason, but we actually really did a good job in these scenarios. On 3rd and short rushes, we converted on 27 of 35 for an average of 5.94 yards.

Wisconsin converted on 20 of 34 for 3.21 as a comparison.

Do you have a link to those stats?  I'd be really curious.

I know we were very bad at those early in the year.  Perhaps we got better as the year went on but I would not have guessed that much.

2 minutes ago, brophog said:

Awesome.  Thanks.

I was curious what they were calling "short"  I was guessing 4 yards but 3 is a good number.  I paged through the Colorado and Troy games and there were several misses there but not as many as I thought.  We did have a bad time on 4th down and that was maybe where more on the early struggles were instead of 3rd down.

• 3 weeks later...