Which type I-back do you prefer?

I-Back Type Preference  

64 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

4 minutes ago, Lightfighter214 said:

How many 175 pound, or even quick running backs do you see on sundays or even starting for top 25 programs? Having a rb that can turn a 1-2 yard run to even a 3-4 yard run makes a huge difference on down and distance.

Hell, even when Oregon was putting up numbers that had big running backs like freeman and blount. 

Nebraska definitely needs to get some size at rb. I get they are playing wandale at rb because they literally have no one else. You dont win in college football without good/great rbs. Nfl is about the qb and college is about the rb.

The small ones play 3rd down rb in the nfl.

Cook, barkley, fournette, chubb, jones, bell, coleman, drake, McCaffrey, all of them are 210+ excpet McCaffrey and he is the smallest at 205 or so.

Ziggy!!!

On 8/15/2019 at 4:54 AM, brophog said:

Which is something I always found entertaining when people would immediately dismiss Nebraska draft prospects because our backs didn’t catch a lot of passes. 

Roger Craig would catch 629 passes in the NFL. 

Tom Rathman and Roger CRAIG both set records with the 49ers for running and passing.  This discussion missed the setting for these backs- the offense scheme.  Most of theses backs ran in an I formation with some great full backs blocking and running in options. 

Mid you don’t have great offensive lineman, this magic mutant back that you are dreaming of won’t do much.  With a great line, your grandmother could do well.

• Plus1 1
42 minutes ago, Lightfighter214 said:

How many 175 pound, or even quick running backs do you see on sundays or even starting for top 25 programs? Having a rb that can turn a 1-2 yard run to even a 3-4 yard run makes a huge difference on down and distance.

Hell, even when Oregon was putting up numbers that had big running backs like freeman and blount. 

Nebraska definitely needs to get some size at rb. I get they are playing wandale at rb because they literally have no one else. You dont win in college football without good/great rbs. Nfl is about the qb and college is about the rb.

Cook, barkley, fournette, chubb, jones, bell, coleman, drake, McCaffrey, all of them are 210+ excpet McCaffrey and he is the smallest at 205 or so.

I'm with you on this. That's why i always thought Ziggy stardust was our best back literally the entire time he was here. He fell forward almost every time he carried the ball. 

Then the truly special backs like Saquon Barkley, Adrian Peterson, Bo Jackson, etc are big strong backs but also are incredibly quick and agile. 

51 minutes ago, Lightfighter214 said:

What does NFL style of running back have to do with the college game?  They are playing Wandale at RB because he’s very good at it. He is able to squeeze through creases between the tackles, and has the speed to hit it outside.

9 minutes ago, ActualCornHusker said:

I'm with you on this. That's why i always thought Ziggy stardust was our best back literally the entire time he was here. He fell forward almost every time he carried the ball. 

Then the truly special backs like Saquon Barkley, Adrian Peterson, Bo Jackson, etc are big strong backs but also are incredibly quick and agile. 

Until his senior year, Ozigbo was actually very bad running though tackles and gaining more yards than what was blocked. It wasn’t until he lost weight under the new S&C staff which got him quicker and more wiggle where Ozigbo became a back who was able to make tacklers miss and have the breakaway speed to take it to the house. 

• Plus1 1
34 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Until his senior year, Ozigbo was actually very bad running though tackles and gaining more yards than what was blocked. It wasn’t until he lost weight under the new S&C staff which got him quicker and more wiggle where Ozigbo became a back who was able to make tacklers miss and have the breakaway speed to take it to the house. 

I would definitely disagree with that. Do you remember the bowl his freshman year against UCLA? He looked like the next great back at Nebraska. Then he inexplicably was overlooked for 2+ years. I never was a fan of Newby as a RB, although I'll say he improved a lot his senior year - but Ozigbo was the better back. 

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, ActualCornHusker said:

I would definitely disagree with that. Do you remember the bowl his freshman year against UCLA? He looked like the next great back at Nebraska. Then he inexplicably was overlooked for 2+ years. I never was a fan of Newby as a RB, although I'll say he improved a lot his senior year - but Ozigbo was the better back. 

In probably 80% of his games here, he wasn't even the best back we had that day.

People get enamored with what they think is power running.  But go back and tell me how many games in his career he had the best YPC that day for the Huskers.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, ActualCornHusker said:

Ozigbo was decent at times as a freshman, but he had no explosiveness, elusiveness, or power as a sophomore or junior. He just wasn’t very good, until he got in shape as a senior. 

Just now, Mavric said:

In probably 80% of his games here, he wasn't even the best back we had that day.

People get enamored with what they think is power running.  But go back and tell me how many games in his career he had the best YPC that day for the Huskers.

I'm not a big stats guy. There are a ton of factors that go into stats like YPC so stats don't tell the whole story. Ozigbo was a guy who needed to get into a flow, and he got better and better as the game went along. 

Just the extra 1-2 yds he picked up constantly would have been of enormous impact to the offense had he been used properly. 

2 minutes ago, ActualCornHusker said:

I'm not a big stats guy. There are a ton of factors that go into stats like YPC so stats don't tell the whole story. Ozigbo was a guy who needed to get into a flow, and he got better and better as the game went along. 

Just the extra 1-2 yds he picked up constantly would have been of enormous impact to the offense had he been used properly. 

But you are wrong about the extra 1-2 yards “he picked up”. He wasn’t getting extra yards like you think he was. Ozigbo was one of the worst backs in getting yards after first contact. 

Just now, ActualCornHusker said:

So stats are the be-all end-all huh? 

If Ozigbo was getting the extra 1-2 yards like you say he was getting, his YPC would have been much higher.