Youth sports.

16 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Parents ruin s#!t...and people that run these sports are making a killing (good for them) and it is amazing that parents continue to fall for it.

With that said, I wish I was still running my summer football/conditioning camp because I LOVED the extra cash!

As a parent with kids ages ranging from 11-3, I am not sure what the answer is.  While I hate that ultimately you have to have your kids started by the time they are 6, often having to move from low cost YMCA programs to expensive club programs by the time they are 9, I haven't been able to see any alternatives. For me, it is very important that my kids participate in sports, not because I hope that they get any college scholarships, but because of the other things sports bring to the table, ie, structure, discipline, work ethic, heathy strong bodies, exercise  habits, etc.  Due to the fact that there are literally no "free" or "low cost" options for these kids outside of the volunteer coach based YMCA programs until 7th grade years in school, I feel forced to fall into the expensive club based systems. I have been dedicating a lot of my free time and energy to help revitalize the Abbott sports complex here in Lincoln and it is solely to try to help facilitate more low cost avenues because I am passionate about access to youth sports in America and we are getting further and further away from it. It is a legitimate problem and I am not sure of solutions at this time.  

52 minutes ago, Husker03 said:

As a parent with kids ages ranging from 11-3, I am not sure what the answer is.  While I hate that ultimately you have to have your kids started by the time they are 6, often having to move from low cost YMCA programs to expensive club programs by the time they are 9, I haven't been able to see any alternatives. For me, it is very important that my kids participate in sports, not because I hope that they get any college scholarships, but because of the other things sports bring to the table, ie, structure, discipline, work ethic, heathy strong bodies, exercise  habits, etc.  Due to the fact that there are literally no "free" or "low cost" options for these kids outside of the volunteer coach based YMCA programs until 7th grade years in school, I feel forced to fall into the expensive club based systems. I have been dedicating a lot of my free time and energy to help revitalize the Abbott sports complex here in Lincoln and it is solely to try to help facilitate more low cost avenues because I am passionate about access to youth sports in America and we are getting further and further away from it. It is a legitimate problem and I am not sure of solutions at this time.  

You are correct.  The only answer is this...parents need to GO BACK to YMCA and Park District (baseball especially) and schools should try and start sports at 5th grade.  

For years and years and years, kids made their high school teams, kids got college scholarships and pro sports found players...without club and select sports and QB camps and QB gurus and AAU ball.