Game Day Parking

18 minutes ago, herbers42 said:

Long time follower, but first time poster. 

Been a few years since I’ve attended a game. Heading to the South Alabama game.  Staying in Omaha Friday night and driving over early Saturday. 

Where is best to park? I don’t mind walking a few miles to stadium. 

Thanks. 

What I have been doing for the last couple is parking at one of the several locations around town where the bus will pick you up.  It will drop you near the stadium and you ride it back.

If you'd rather walk, I think out west by the baseball complex is a good spot.  Maybe a mile or mile and a half walk.  Big dirt lots west of the baseball lot which is mostly reserved I think.  

I typically either park at Big Red Keno and ride one of their three buses or I park at the baseball field and walk over the bridge.  It's not a far walk and the parking is fairly cheap.  If you want to be in the Hay Market for a few hours leading up to game time, don't do the Big Red Keno bus as they try to keep people there for tailgating longer before the game.  I would recommend going early though- it will be pretty busy by 8am that day.    

My go-to for the last several years has been parking at the garage on the southwest corner of 9th and O St. If you enter downtown from the West O St. bridge, you turn right onto 9th St. and it's immediately on the corner right there.

Some caveats, though. I recommend getting to this garage early if you wish to use it, at least three but preferably four hours before kick off. Any later than that and they will likely ask you if it's OK if they put you into a closed off spot, meaning they will pack other cars around yours and you'll have to wait for a couple of hours after the game before you can get your car out. But, this garage is pretty close to the stadium, and if you plan to spend a good chunk of your day in Lincoln, it's a good place.

• Plus1 1
18 minutes ago, Enhance said:

My go-to for the last several years has been parking at the garage on the southwest corner of 9th and O St. If you enter downtown from the West O St. bridge, you turn right onto 9th St. and it's immediately on the corner right there.

Some caveats, though. I recommend getting to this garage early if you wish to use it, at least three but preferably four hours before kick off. Any later than that and they will likely ask you if it's OK if they put you into a closed off spot, meaning they will pack other cars around yours and you'll have to wait for a couple of hours after the game before you can get your car out. But, this garage is pretty close to the stadium, and if you plan to spend a good chunk of your day in Lincoln, it's a good place.

Parking garages can be great, especially if you aren't planning on tailgating.  However, if you are attending a close game and 100,000 people are trying to get out of downtown Lincoln at the exact same time, you can sit in a parking garage forever trying to get out.

4 minutes ago, teachercd said:

For reals...start on O street and drive around for a bit...you will find a free spot.  I have never had a problem.

The city now reads meters on Saturdays until 6:00 PM. So technically that's no longer really an option unless you just don't care about getting a ticket.

To herbers42, it really just depends on how early you want to/are willing to show up. If you're willing to walk "a couple miles," you're totally fine either way; just go south of downtown, kind of in the zone of 10th - 14th Street and you'll find a residential spot. But that'll put you in the neighborhood of walking "a couple miles."   :)

• Fire 1

You can also purchase one of these for $10 if you're worried about getting a ticket....

Football Day-of-Game Meter Hangtags

On Husker home game days, the Parking Services Division offers hangtags for all-day parking at any on-street meter without fear of getting a ticket. These hangtags are available for $10 each & can be purchased at most parking garages from the time parking attendants arrive until supplies last.

http://parkandgo.org/On-Street-Parking