2019 AP Preseason Top 25

knapplc

Here's a couple of excerpts from Sam McKewon's ballot.

15. Iowa: This ranking is about the offensive and defensive lines. Iowa has good ones, again, and enough skill at receiver and defensive back to win the Big Ten West.

19. Nebraska: You get the sense the Huskers are close, really close, and may be only a solid offensive line away from winning the whole Big Ten. The quarterback is in place, so is the defense, and the skill players are better than advertised.

He talks up Nebraska pretty good, and (surprisingly, to me) basically states the Defense is going to be good. Which is weird, because there's a lot of unanswered questions on that side of the ball.

Personal opinion - if the defense cuts 7 points per game off their 2018 performance, we win the West.

• Plus1 3

22 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Comment from Ralph Russo on a 4-8 team being ranked in the preseason:

That stuck out to me as well. No other team in this top 25 had fewer than 8 wins last season. I'll take it though. Starting higher than maybe we should've could fall in our favor somewhere down the road. Plus I think we'll end up proving this was deserved.

• Plus1 1

16 minutes ago, knapplc said:

He talks up Nebraska pretty good, and (surprisingly, to me) basically states the Defense is going to be good. Which is weird, because there's a lot of unanswered questions on that side of the ball.

Personal opinion - if the defense cuts 7 points per game off their 2018 performance, we win the West.

Totally agree. I would have thought he would have said, "Nebraska might just be one good defensive line away from a Big Ten title."

To your comment in bold above, I tried to put it in those terms at the tail end of last season, too. If our defense and special teams can team up to allow roughly 7 fewer points per game, and our offense can score 7 more points per game we're a 10-2 team that goes to Indy.

I still don't know where we'll be at with special teams. 

• Plus1 2

I normally wouldn't advocate for 4-8 teams to be ranked regardless of who they return but in our case, given the schedule and obvious improvement, I can let it slide. 

33 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

Have to admit I thought we'd be just outside the top 25. Excited we're ranked though. Now let's go prove we're top 25 material! 

In my opinion, Missouri should be ranked.