The Matrix 4

Well, this is unexpected.

Matrix 4 in the Works With Keanu Reeves Returning

The fans have asked and the Lana Wachowski has answered. After a ton of talk about a potential Matrix reboot with Michael B. Jordan taking over the lead role, it seems like the franchise is heading back to its roots. The Matrix 4 is actually happening, with a large part of the original team returning.

According to a report from Variety, a fourth Matrix movie is now in development, with Lana Wachowski writing and directing the film. Furthermore, stars Keanu Reeves and Carrie-Anne Moss reprising their roles as Neo and Trinity.

Warner Bros. and Village Roadshow Pictures are set to produce and globally distribute the new Matrix movie. It was Warner Bros. chairman Toby Emmerich that made the announcement official on Tuesday.

“We could not be more excited to be re-entering the Matrix with Lana,” Emmerich said. “Lana is a true visionary — a singular and original creative filmmaker — and we are thrilled that she is writing, directing and producing this new chapter in The Matrix universe.”

• Plus1 2

Meh. The original's appeal was mainly in its relatively novel premise and effects. After the gee-whiz aspect had worn off, and you were left with movies that were just OK, not great.

47 minutes ago, Toe said:

Meh. The original's appeal was mainly in its relatively novel premise and effects. After the gee-whiz aspect had worn off, and you were left with movies that were just OK, not great.

Boo. Where's the eyeroll when ya need it?

The Matrix trilogy is still one of my favorites to watch over and over again.

• Plus1 1

The original Matrix is one of the best films ever as far as it's impact and forethought. We've advanced so much as a culture n the last 20 years in our understanding of, conversations about, and art surrounding ideas of consciousness, simulation, etc., that it doesn't quite hold up anymore, but that world is ripe for a revisit with how popular and poignant the themes are.

Never got into it at all.  And I love Reeves.  

The special effects are cool but I am not a huge special effects guy so it didn't do much for me.  SciFi lovers had been looking for something for so long that they made this movie what western fans did with Unforgiven, Tombstone and Open Range (Only those are all super awesome)

Matrix was basically Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon when it came to the effects.  

On 8/20/2019 at 3:57 PM, Toe said:

"OK" is generous. Never understood why these were almost universally considered good movies when they so clearly weren't. 

2 hours ago, The Dude said:

"OK" is generous. Never understood why these were almost universally considered good movies when they so clearly weren't. 

I think only the first one is generally considered good, while the sequels are generally considered average to s#!tty.  

I like 'em :dunno

And it may get stranger. I don't particularly like them for the action or special effects. In fact I could do without some of those mass fighting scenes. I just like the premise and the story, but I'm pretty much a sci-fi fan. Movie wise they're nothing great I guess....but I enjoy watching them.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, Toe said:

@Landlord I think if you re-watch them today, the first one doesn't really hold up any better than the sequels.

I rewatch them relatively often, or at least the first one. I agree that it doesn't hold up great in some regards, but I'd counter that part of that reason is because american audiences are very hit or miss with very heavy asian martial arts influence in film these days (way more choreographed and 'unnatural') and also that it holds up far better than the sequels do. Mainly because it's handling of the more philosophical heady bits was much more successfully interwoven into the screenplay instead of this messy fragmented, let's have a mindless action sequence here, then 15 minutes of exposition here sort of formula that plagued the sequels.

I still love The Matrix, and I always thought the 2nd and 3rd movies were good Sci Fi movies, just not great compared to the first one. I will watch the new movie. I'm not someone who thinks anything in the original can be ruined by a sequel. Just like the last GOT season doesn't ruin the ones that came before it.