Bold Predictions for 2019

Mavric

5 hours ago, Hans Gruber said:

My favorite part about this thread is that a few posters forgot that with the playoff, teams can play up to 15 games now.

So when you predict Nebraska to finish 14-0 you're actually saying that they are 12-0, then win the Big 10 title to improve to 13-0, then don't get selected for the playoff, then win the Rose Bowl and complain about the system being unfair BCS style.

In all fairness, that is a bold prediction.

Or we get a game lightninged out. 

• Plus1 3

On 8/26/2019 at 12:28 AM, brophog said:

It is precisely because this team doesn’t have a 2016 type schedule that makes such a statement so bold.

Huh? This schedule includes the exact same crossover games as that year, but we get NW/OSU/Wisky and Iowa at home this year versus on the road.  Swap Oregon at home for CU on the road.  And you think it's somehow harder?

41 minutes ago, runningblind said:

Huh? This schedule includes the exact same crossover games as that year, but we get NW/OSU/Wisky and Iowa at home this year versus on the road.  Swap Oregon at home for CU on the road.  And you think it's somehow harder?

It’s the timing. That schedule was backloaded, as though Oregon was ranked at the time they’d finish 4-8. Only two teams in those first 7 games would finish with a winning record. That allowed a pretty pedestrian Nebraska team, which wasn’t really much better than the year before, to start 7-0 and therefore become a Top 10.

Ohio St this year being game number 5 changes all of that. To ever get into the Top 6 Nebraska either has to win that game or go on a massive run after that game. A 10-2 regular season, depending on when the losses occur, could never have seen a Top 6 ranking.

6 hours ago, brophog said:

It’s the timing. That schedule was backloaded, as though Oregon was ranked at the time they’d finish 4-8. Only two teams in those first 7 games would finish with a winning record. That allowed a pretty pedestrian Nebraska team, which wasn’t really much better than the year before, to start 7-0 and therefore become a Top 10.

Ohio St this year being game number 5 changes all of that. To ever get into the Top 6 Nebraska either has to win that game or go on a massive run after that game. A 10-2 regular season, depending on when the losses occur, could never have seen a Top 6 ranking.

I gotcha.   We all think this team is much better than that one, and even if they lost to Ohio State if they were 8-1, 9-1, top 10 is still a possibility.  I think there is a great chance to beat Ohio State in game 5 though.

4 hours ago, runningblind said:

I gotcha.   We all think this team is much better than that one, and even if they lost to Ohio State if they were 8-1, 9-1, top 10 is still a possibility.  I think there is a great chance to beat Ohio State in game 5 though.

I know Ohio St is a popular upset pick, but I have a hard time at this point getting behind that idea. When they’ve struggled it’s been when they’ve overlooked an opponent and I’m hoping Nebraska isn’t that kind of opponent this year.

2 hours ago, brophog said:

I know Ohio St is a popular upset pick, but I have a hard time at this point getting behind that idea. When they’ve struggled it’s been when they’ve overlooked an opponent and I’m hoping Nebraska isn’t that kind of opponent this year.

When they've struggled in the past may not be as relevant now with a new/much less experienced coach and a new to the school, new to college football QB still in his first month.  This will be the most hostile environment either of those guys will have faced in their positions.  That is why it's a popular upset pick, in addition to year 2 of Scott Frost.

• Plus1 1