Jesus Tap-Dancing Christ

5 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

I'm going to call BS on anyone that thinks they invented a plant.

My next door neighbor is a geneticist and she’s invented some strains of corn :P

But yeah, not a completely unique plant like Brussel sprouts.

1 minute ago, JJ Husker said:

My next door neighbor is a geneticist and she’s invented some strains of corn :P

But yeah, not a completely unique plant like Brussel sprouts.

When I was a kid I took apart an alarm clock and I took the wires that led to the speakers and stripped them...then I twisted them over the wick of a thunderbomb...I set the alarm and waited...I figured I pretty much just invented a time firework bomb.

Nothing happened...I think my Dad beat my a$$ though.  So I guess it sort of set something off.

From wikipedia:

Although native to the Mediterranean region with other cabbage species, Brussels sprouts first appeared in northern Europe during the fifth century, later being cultivated in the 13th century near Brussels, from which they derived their name

On 8/21/2019 at 10:14 PM, knapplc said:

The only way to stop one First Grader with a gun is with another First Grader with a gun.

We need to arm every First Grader. Clearly.

Holy crap, I forgot about this troll job SBC did on gun nutters.

Some people don't think it's a joke to arm kids.

I took my almost 4yr old out to shoot the BB gun he got last Xmas for the first time.  Still a little big for him to handle.  But my wife thought it would be good to have him shoot her .22 pistol as an introduction to firearms.  He fired 3 shots off with it (yes she was helping him hold it and fire it).  If guns are in the home they need to have a healthy respect for them as soon as possible and understand they aren't toys.  Sheltering them from the dangers does no good if they have no introduction to them but live under the same roof.

10 minutes ago, Redux said:

I took my almost 4yr old out to shoot the BB gun he got last Xmas for the first time.  Still a little big for him to handle.  But my wife thought it would be good to have him shoot her .22 pistol as an introduction to firearms.  He fired 3 shots off with it (yes she was helping him hold it and fire it).  If guns are in the home they need to have a healthy respect for them as soon as possible and understand they aren't toys.  Sheltering them from the dangers does no good if they have no introduction to them but live under the same roof.

I do the same thing with my collection of nunchucks and throwing stars. 

• Haha 4
27 minutes ago, Redux said:

What does the conversation sound like when you are teaching you toddler about guns?

Edit:  honest question - no snark intended in my question. 

Respect.  This gun can hurt someone if not handled appropriately.  Only point at something you're intending on shooting, and always keep the safety on.  There are other finer hunter safety type conversations, but that's the most important gist of it.  

• Plus1 1

That is a tough one.  I almost feel like you are safer or better off NOT showing them or letting them use the guns (or nunchucks).  But just making sure that it is always locked up.  Kids are curios (and stupid and crazy and hyper) and once they know something "is" there it seems more likely that they will want to get to it or use it.  Shoot, adults that have been handling guns for years and years are often times stupid when it comes to using their guns.

I don't know, it is a tough call either way.  It would be an interesting study to see how many kids have been hurt by guns at home and what % of those kids were "taught" about respecting guns and what % were not taught about respecting guns.  

• Fire 1