Jesus Tap-Dancing Christ

I kept/keep my guns locked up, but they weren't that way when I was growing up.  My father and my grandfathers/uncles just had unlocked glass front cabinets, but we knew better than to get into them.  We knew they weren't toys.  Had a healthy fear of them.  

Just now, Frott Scost said:

Do four year olds even know what death or dying is? So telling them something is dangerous and can kill doesnt really make sense to me. 

They don't understand it in the same way we do. I think children know about death but the permanance isn't really understood.

1 minute ago, Frott Scost said:

Do four year olds even know what death or dying is? So telling them something is dangerous and can kill doesnt really make sense to me. 

That's why I used the word hurt.  They know what pain is.  I don't think my kid handled an actual firearm till about 8.  Toted around a Red Ryder for a few years with me before that.

50 minutes ago, NM11046 said:

What does the conversation sound like when you are teaching you toddler about guns?

Edit:  honest question - no snark intended in my question. 

To be fair he is way more mature than a typical 3yr old, I often forget that when conversing with him.  It's no different than any other conversation about them.  Guns are dangerous.  You have to be careful.  They can kill and hurt.  Never point a gun at someone, ever! Etc.

Understanding their danger and what they can do makes a huge difference in my opinion.  Kids much older that have no discussion seem to not understand the ramifications.

20 minutes ago, Frott Scost said:

Mine does.  At least to the extent his young mind can.  It's a huge part of life, respecting that at a young age allows them to appreciate how precious life is.

27 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

They don't understand it in the same way we do. I think children know about death but the permanance isn't really understood.

That's very true, the permanence isn't comprehensible yet.  But having an idea early on allows them to better grip it as they get older.  At least in my experience.

Edit:  Kids that are sheltered from it start learning about death from TV and games, thinking it's not a big deal.  It's the biggest deal.

• Plus1 1
29 minutes ago, Calvin said:

I kept/keep my guns locked up, but they weren't that way when I was growing up.  My father and my grandfathers/uncles just had unlocked glass front cabinets, but we knew better than to get into them.  We knew they weren't toys.  Had a healthy fear of them.  

And did you all stay away from them?  Sounds like you did.

I can remember "house sitting" once when I was like in 8th grade...basically just bringing the mail in and s#!t like that.  Of course I started looking around and sure enough I found my friends moms gun.  I picked it up and checked it out.  It was a revolver.  

1 minute ago, Redux said:

That's very true, the permanence isn't comprehensible yet.  But having an idea early on allows them to better grip it as they get older.  At least in my experience.

I don't disagree at all. Children think about things in strange ways and you have to just be aware of that. But I definitely agree its better they know about it as early as possible. Its the only thing thats sure.

1 minute ago, Nebfanatic said:

I don't disagree at all. Children think about things in strange ways and you have to just be aware of that. But I definitely agree its better they know about it as early as possible. Its the only thing thats sure.

Children's minds work at an unbelievable rate.  The image they can create can become very convoluted if not guided properly

• Plus1 1

11 minutes ago, Redux said:

Edit:  Kids that are sheltered from it start learning about death from TV and games, thinking it's not a big deal.  It's the biggest deal.

This is why I bought a few cats from the pound and killed them in front of my family...I wanted them to know what death was.

Luckily I live by a pet cemetery...I don't want to spoil it for you...but things did not end well.

• Haha 2
Just now, teachercd said:

This is why I bought a few cats from the pound and killed them in front of my family...I wanted them to know what death was.

Luckily I live by a pet cemetery...I don't want to spoil it for you...but things did not end well.

I've found the cuter the animal the better the result.  Go steal some sea lions, REALLY drives the point home.  Dress them up in your child's clothes first too for bonus points.