Best Husker Team to Not Win a National Title Game 6: 1993 Nebraska vs. 1982 Nebraska

Cdog923

Best Husker Team to Not Win the National Title Game 6:  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Pick the Winner

• 1993 Nebraska
    • 1982 Nebraska

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/27/2019 at 04:59 AM

Time for the next game in the BHTtNWaNT tournament! As it turns out, strep throat knocks you on your a$$ and makes you really not want to do anything, so this game is going to be a bit truncated. For the next 5 days, let's determine which team is best between the 1993 Huskers, and the 1982 Cornhuskers. Our last game between the '83 Huskers and '96 Huskers was much more of a blowout than I anticipated, as '83 won 21-1. Now, onto the Tale of the Tape! 

#2: 1993 Nebraska: 

• Record: 11-1 
  • Conference Record: 7-0
  • Coach: Tom Osborne (11-1)
  • Points For: 437
  • Points/G: 36.4 (7th of 106)
  • Points Against: 194
  • Opp Pts/G: 16.2 (13th of 106)
  • SRS: 20.31 (3rd of 106)
  • SOS: 5.48 (23rd of 106)
  • Bowl Game: Lost Orange Bowl 18-16 versus Florida State
  • Notable Players: Tommie Frazier, Trev Alberts, Calvin Jones
  • Notable Games: vs. #20 Colorado (W, 21-17), vs. #16 Oklahoma (W, 21-7), vs. '65 Nebraska (W, 31-0)

#3: 1982 Nebraska: 

• Record: 12-1 
  • Conference Record: 7-0
  • Coach: Tom Osborne (12-1)
  • Points For: 514
  • Points/G: 39.5 (1st of 113)
  • Points Against: 167
  • Opp Pts/G: 12.8 (8th of 113)
  • SRS: 21.94 (2nd of 113)
  • SOS: 4.48 (38th of 113)
  • Bowl Game: Won Orange Bowl 21-20 versus LSU
  • Notable Players: Mike Rozier, Roger Craig, Turner Gill
  • Notable Games: vs. #8 PSU (L, 27-24), vs. #11 OU (W, 28-24), vs. #13 LSU (W, 21-20), vs. '84 Nebraska (W, 31-4)

'82 Nebraska has the advantage statistically, but '93 Nebraska played the harder schedule. SRS has them separated by one spot, but they both finished 3rd in the polls. This is an intriguing matchup for the right to play '83 Nebraska in the title game. 

• Plus1 1

Tough matchup, these were both legitimate national champs who got screwed out of the title by poor officiating. I have a perception that 82 was maybe a little more dominant overall and would have been scarier to play against, but 93 was tough as nails and refused to be pushed around. I'll say 82 for now.

Semi-on topic: The '93 Orange Bowl was a gut-wrenching, heartbreaking game. I wanted to be able to claim a national title in my lifetime at that young age so bad. I have this vivid, cementing memory of my brother taking some baby toy that belonged to our sister's kid and slamming the toy on the floor in frustration, LOL. 

The bulls*** pass interference penalties, the missed field goal...so frustrating. We were that close to four titles in five years.

That game made what happened a year later all the sweeter, though. That's the thing.

This is the toughest matchup yet and probably should’ve been bracketed to be the final game.

Both teams were better than anyone they played.

The only reason both of these teams didn’t win nattys is because they were screwed by officials on critical calls.

I can’t really tell you which was the “better” team or who would’ve beat who so I will rely on the consensus feeling at the time and go with 82. In 82 we knew we were the best team and did not expect to lose to anyone. In 93, even though we did out play FSU and deserved to win that game, the feeling was that we couldn’t get over the hump with the Florida teams in Florida so it was always in the back of your mind that we may lose to them. Plus I was at UNL for those 82 and 83 teams so I’ll always be a little bit biased towards them.

I have to go wt the 82 team.  Saw both play.  I think the 82 team was more dominant.   I recall that they seemed to be very balanced on both sides of the ball without any glaring weakness on either side.  The O had such a strong offensive line  - Remmington and Steinkuhler on the same line - give me a break.  Roger Craig and Rozier & Jeff Smith playing backup still got 500+ yards  in the backfield - give me a break # 2.  We also had the Triplets  - give me a break # 3.    The 1993 team was very talented but still coming to that conclusion themselves - they were young and hungry.  93 team winning the NC would have been as an underdog. 82 being named the NC would not have been as an underdog.  They were truly deserving and would have been so outside of the ref's call at PSU.

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

This is the toughest matchup yet and probably should’ve been bracketed to be the final game.

Both teams were better than anyone they played.

The only reason both of these teams didn’t win nattys is because they were screwed by officials on critical calls.

I can’t really tell you which was the “better” team or who would’ve beat who so I will rely on the consensus feeling at the time and go with 82. In 82 we knew we were the best team and did not expect to lose to anyone. In 93, even though we did out play FSU and deserved to win that game, the feeling was that we couldn’t get over the hump with the Florida teams in Florida so it was always in the back of your mind that we may lose to them. Plus I was at UNL for those 82 and 83 teams so I’ll always be a little bit biased towards them.

Osborne might agree with you: https://www.omaha.com/huskers/blogs/tom-osborne-says-huskers-were-best-nebraska-teams-to-not/article_95d68d06-2966-5726-89c4-eb554c8df807.html. I seeded it by overall votes/mentions, and '83 is the first out of almost everyone's mouths when this question is broached.