YouTube TV question

I did last year, but I lived in Nebraska.  In Colorado now, like you, so we'll see.  It is going to record the opener, so that's a good sign.  You may have to pay for a deeper ESPN service if it's a super low priority game.  I had to do that to watch some boxing last year.  

8 hours ago, Calvin said:

I did last year, but I lived in Nebraska.  In Colorado now, like you, so we'll see.  It is going to record the opener, so that's a good sign.  You may have to pay for a deeper ESPN service if it's a super low priority game.  I had to do that to watch some boxing last year.  

Does YouTube TV have any package options? It looks like it's only one package.

11 hours ago, Landlord said:

imo it's the best cord-cut 'cable' option out there right now. It's a really good service for it's price.

Agreed. I've had it for a little more than a year and I was able to watch every single Husker game last year without issue. I live in Omaha. Streaming quality was fantastic with SMARTCAST.

9 hours ago, RedDenver said:

As far as I know, everyone has to have the 'base' package which is ~50 channels for $49.99/month, but then there are a bunch of add-on channels and network packages you can get if you want Starz, Showtime, etc. But, since I only purchased it for the college football and Formula 1 seasons, I don't watch a whole lot other than sports.

That said, earlier this year, they added the Discovery network of channels (Travel Channel, Food Network) and I like some of those shows so that's been pretty solid. They also gave me Showtime for free from May to September this year when I hit my one year anniversary.

• Thanks 1

My whole thing with the streaming services is that I wish we could get a true a-la-cart service so I can just get the channels I actually watch. We have AT&T Now (formerly DirecTV Now). It's like $80 per month and there are a lot of channels, but the DVR and menu are wonky as s#!t and there are still a bunch of channels we don't watch. I'm tempted to move to YouTube TV, but I know my fiancee is going to miss a handful of shows she watches on FYI and MTV, not to mention Comedy Central and such.

11 hours ago, RedDenver said:

Enhance is correct.  Everyone gets the base package, and can add to it if you want.  Typically it's $5 per additional channel, like HBO and AMC.  

1 hour ago, GSG said:

My whole thing with the streaming services is that I wish we could get a true a-la-cart service so I can just get the channels I actually watch. We have AT&T Now (formerly DirecTV Now). It's like $80 per month and there are a lot of channels, but the DVR and menu are wonky as s#!t and there are still a bunch of channels we don't watch. I'm tempted to move to YouTube TV, but I know my fiancee is going to miss a handful of shows she watches on FYI and MTV, not to mention Comedy Central and such.

I agree - this would be the best case scenario in the future, but my assumption is that it'll never happen this way. It's probably not cost effective for the network providers and the platforms like YTV/Hulu/etc. to go the a la carte route. They know too many people would go 'just the sports' route or go really simple/cheap, and there'd probably be quite a few channels that nobody would really want.

I don't think a lot of people realize what's happening though. Pretty soon, the money people think they're going to be saving by cutting the cord is just going to be shifted into different revenue streams. With internet + all the different streaming services I have, I'm close to or around $200/month. 18 months ago I was around ~$125 probably? It's getting to the point where I think I'm going to have to start making tough decisions about what I want to keep because I honestly just don't have enough time to watch all the crap I pay for.

52 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I agree - this would be the best case scenario in the future, but my assumption is that it'll never happen this way. It's probably not cost effective for the network providers and the platforms like YTV/Hulu/etc. to go the a la carte route. They know too many people would go 'just the sports' route or go really simple/cheap, and there'd probably be quite a few channels that nobody would really want.

I don't think a lot of people realize what's happening though. Pretty soon, the money people think they're going to be saving by cutting the cord is just going to be shifted into different revenue streams. With internet + all the different streaming services I have, I'm close to or around $200/month. 18 months ago I was around ~$125 probably? It's getting to the point where I think I'm going to have to start making tough decisions about what I want to keep because I honestly just don't have enough time to watch all the crap I pay for.

True a-la-cart is just a pipe dream. You're right about the savings too. We went from paying something like $260 for our internet/TV through Comcast and now we're really only saving $100 a month but that doesn't include Netflix that I pay for and Hulu that she pays for. 

11 hours ago, Enhance said:

You bring up a good point that I was going to make in response to GSG's point. More or less we as consumers have gotten our wish, or we have made the bed we lay in - and its not a great one. We still pine for a day of true a la carte options, but.... I'm not sure we should. I mean, if you do the math (as Enhance alluded to), with everyone proprietarizing? their own content, they're winning more than ever and we're not. 

Netflix $30/mo

Amazon Prime $11/mo

Hulu $15/mo

HBOGo $10/mo

Youtube/Sling/Whatever $50/mo

Internet Connection $80/mo

Disney+ $10/mo

That's $200+ or so (guessed the numbers) as Enhance said. You want to add any other premium channels like starz that's another $10/per, and if youtube tv or sling weren't a thing you know each channel you get from those that would be worthwhile is going to be at least $5 each.

23 hours ago, GSG said:

YouTube TV vs. Sling TV vs. DirecTV Now vs. Hulu and more: Live TV channels compared

Updated August 9, 2019: How the top 100 channels stack up on every cord-cutting live TV service in the US.

Awesome breakdown.  I've kicked around going this route for awhile but haven't jumped in yet.

Based on that, It looks to me like it's either Hulu or YouTube based on offerings.  You can pretty much eliminate all the cheap ones (AT&T, Philo, Sling Blue, Sling Orange) and Fubo because they are missing some combination of BTN, ESPN, ABC and Fox (plus other broadcast networks).  

DirecTV and PS Vue make you pay extra for BTN and some ESPN channels plus don't have as many channels overall so that's not very handy.  

That leaves Hulu and YouTube which are pretty close.  It would probably come down to if there's a "minor" channel that you watch that is only available on one or the other.  AMC, NBA and MLB Network are only on YouTube and YouTube has more channels overall.  History Channel and a couple premium channels are only available on Hulu plus Hulu is $5 cheaper.