Star Wars: The Mandalorian on Disney+

• 2 months later...

Anyone watch this yet?  I "watched" it last night but I was also trying to finish up some other stuff so I wasn't paying as close of attention as I normally would.

Need to watch it again but my initial impression is ... eh, OK I guess.  I think part of that is how they are setting up the character.  More of a cold intro - just jumping right into the middle of the story such that you have to figure out what all is going on as the shows come out.  And that might end up working out well.  But it didn't seem to just reach out and grab you.  Kind of disjointed and plot-holey.

It looks great, at the very least. Set design, cinematography, blending of cgi and practical effects is very impressive. The story seemed relatively forgettable, which wouldn't be as big of a deal if they dumped all the episodes at once a la Netflix. Only having the first 40 minutes, which don't really hook me into anything specific, and then having to wait to get more episodes is kind of a bummer, but I'll definitely keep watching.

I liked it.   I also love the bounty they were looking for.   I wonder if they will be doing what marvel is doing and having shows on Disney+ tie into future movies.   The bounty they were looking for could end up having a role in Episode IX and that would be fun to see.

I have spoken.

I loved it.  Favreau did an excellent job with this first episode.  I think I enjoyed it more than some of the last few movies actually and it was only 40 minutes long.  Excellent.  I believe the 2nd ep airs tonight.  

Spotted Brian Posehn who was driving the landspeeder and the blue guy who was taken bounty by the Mandalorian was Horatio Sanz.  

• 3 weeks later...

On 11/13/2019 at 12:52 PM, Landlord said:

It looks great, at the very least. Set design, cinematography, blending of cgi and practical effects is very impressive. The story seemed relatively forgettable, which wouldn't be as big of a deal if they dumped all the episodes at once a la Netflix. Only having the first 40 minutes, which don't really hook me into anything specific, and then having to wait to get more episodes is kind of a bummer, but I'll definitely keep watching.

Spot on.  I'm hooked because I didn't get a chance to watch any of it until 3 episodes were available.  If I had only watched the first episode, I don't know if I'd have made a point to continue watching.  Although "baby Yoda" at the end of Ep. 1 was quite a cliffhanger...

Overall, I've enjoyed the series so far, though episode two was fairly slow and episode four felt incredibly rushed. Episode four

Spoiler

felt like they didn't give near enough time to developing the relationship between Mando and the village woman. They sort of forced the love interest without much context. The villagers defeat the raiders, 'a few weeks go by,' and all of a sudden she's trying to pull his helmet off to see his face and acting like she's in love with him. It just felt odd to me.

TBH I am kind of frustrated with the amount of spoilers that are happening. The whole Baby Yoda thing popped up on my social media feeds before I had had time to watch the show. But, in this era of social media, it's sort of what you sign up for if you don't stream a show as soon as it goes live.

• Plus1 1

I'm still having fun with it but I really dislike and don't enjoy shows that don't give me a glimpse at what it all means. We're halfway through the season and I don't understand why I should care. Sometimes that works, but not when your show is part of a bigger intellectual property and you know it's going to have a bigger scope/stakes of story be revealed at some point. 

On 12/4/2019 at 12:38 PM, Landlord said:

I'm still having fun with it but I really dislike and don't enjoy shows that don't give me a glimpse at what it all means. We're halfway through the season and I don't understand why I should care. Sometimes that works, but not when your show is part of a bigger intellectual property and you know it's going to have a bigger scope/stakes of story be revealed at some point. 

I agree. I thought they started off fairly strong and built the right amount of tension through the first few episodes, but last week's episode really fell off for me. About the only reason I'm being made to feel that I should care right now is there's a really cute baby alien and we should protect it because it's pretty adorable and loving.

Part of me feels like we're missing the "other side," if that makes sense. Following Mando as the primary character is natural, but there's obviously a bigger picture element here as well as some primary antagonist (whether it's a single individual or a group of people, who knows for certain). We're not really seeing any of that perspective.

• Plus1 1
9 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I agree. I thought they started off fairly strong and built the right amount of tension through the first few episodes, but last week's episode really fell off for me. About the only reason I'm being made to feel that I should care right now is there's a really cute baby alien and we should protect it because it's pretty adorable and loving.

Part of me feels like we're missing the "other side," if that makes sense. Following Mando as the primary character is natural, but there's obviously a bigger picture element here as well as some primary antagonist (whether it's a single individual or a group of people, who knows for certain). We're not really seeing any of that perspective.

All we know is that the group appears to be a remnant of the Empire, right?  Being that the people who supposedly tried to kill "baby Yoda" were with soldiers wearing Storm Trooper gear.  I'm with you guys, it would be nice to know who the bad guys are since we are almost halfway through season 1.