Star Wars: The Mandalorian on Disney+

2 hours ago, funhusker said:

All we know is that the group appears to be a remnant of the Empire, right?  Being that the people who supposedly tried to kill "baby Yoda" were with soldiers wearing Storm Trooper gear.  I'm with you guys, it would be nice to know who the bad guys are since we are almost halfway through season 1.

Yep - essentially all we know is the people who wanted Baby Yoda are remnants of the Empire and that they want something Baby Yoda has (I think it's mostly been implied that it has something to do with his force sensitivity/genetics/DNA).

I think the biggest issue more than anything is that episode 4 went off down a path that really only told us two things - 1) Mando is conflicted about his 'code' and 2) bounty hunters are after Baby Yoda. But, we already knew these things to be true by the end of episode 3, so I don't personally think the direction they took episode 4 was overly valuable.

• Plus1 1

I really liked episode 4. I agree with you all that it didn't seem to add much to the story arc (that we know of) and it didn't add any new info about the baby, but I thought there were two really important elements:

1. It added some depth/humanity to the main character

2. I love Gina Carano

9 hours ago, Mavric said:

So it seems to be fast falling into the trap that befell the newest movies: they are a great collection of scenes but the story really doesn't have much continuity.

It's episodic at this point; loosely connected with an overarching plot. And, as the end of the episode last week showed, our Big Bad might be showing up this week. 

1 hour ago, Cdog923 said:

It's episodic at this point; loosely connected with an overarching plot. And, as the end of the episode last week showed, our Big Bad might be showing up this week. 

Yeah, I realize that.  I'm not not sure the last two episodes were doing anything to move the plot forward.  

He basically changed his entire lifestyle almost on a whim.  And now the last two episodes have basically been show up in a random place, someone asks him to do something he doesn't want to do, then he changes his mind for no discernible reason other than that's how we get into the plot for that episode.  

I'm sure they're working to tie everything together as the show progresses.  And they're probably building to that.  But it's a bit forced, especially in the last couple episodes.

5 hours ago, Mavric said:

I'm not not sure the last two episodes were doing anything to move the plot forward.  

He basically changed his entire lifestyle almost on a whim.  And now the last two episodes have basically been show up in a random place, someone asks him to do something he doesn't want to do, then he changes his mind for no discernible reason other than that's how we get into the plot for that episode.  

100% agree. Episode 5 left me feeling the same as episode 4 in that I didn't see any meaningful plot progression. And the cliffhanger at the end of EP5 was... a stranger's ankles finding the body of a dead assassin? We were introduced to, watched die, and forgot about that character all within about 10 minutes, but now we're supposed to believe this scene has relevance? Why?

The show had a lot of promise through episode three but I don't understand the creative vision now.

The last two episodes have felt like fetch quests in an RPG. We started a kickass story but now we're trying to knock out some side content to gain XP, while the main story line just sort of floats out there in the ether.

• Plus1 2

This pretty much sums it up:

Disney Plus’s The Mandalorian continues to be quite good in terms of its overall quality, from its performances to its direction to its music (man, that music), and yet for those who have been watching for all five episodes so far, a pattern is starting to emerge and the overall structure of the show is starting to get a little bit…stale.

The pattern is pretty straightforward:

1. The Mandalorian gets stuck somewhere (Jawas strip his ship, he has to hide in a remote village, his ship is damaged in a gunflight),

2. The Mandalorian must get out of this place, yet has to complete an objective to do so (get egg for Jawas, defeat bandit invaders, take down bounty target),

3. The Mandalorian is aided by someone in this pursuit (old alien man, retired soldier, rookie bounty hunter).

4. The Mandalorian fixes his ship and/or realizes he can’t stay in one place too long and then goes to the next planet.

This has been the structure of the three of the five episodes of the show so far, episodes 2, 4 and 5. 

It’s not that these Mandalorian episodes are bad. They’re enjoyable, and yet it feels like the show is ignoring the larger plot of the series, as it barely even addresses it each week. It seems pretty clear at this point that The Mandalorian has to hunt down the guy issuing all these tracking fobs for Baby Yoda, or else the two of them are never going to be safe. Yet this has never been brought up on the show, and the last two weeks in a row have just been him being chased from planet to planet and having to do some sort of video game-esque quest in order to move on (return [1] egg, kill [20] bandits, eliminated [1] target).

I mean, it's pretty easy to see that, thus far, it's being set up as a "Monster/Adventure/Plot Of The Week"-style show with bits and pieces to move along the main storyline. It's easily the best Disney Star Wars anything, and probably the best Star Wars anything since either The Clone Wars series or Return of the Jedi. 

It is similar to Firefly I think. Except there are a lot fewer characters, and that means less stories to care about. So far we only have River (Baby Yoda) and Mal (Mando), and at this point Mando has already decided what to do with his problem, which is to protect it.

I'm guessing the lady who helped him at the village will make a reappearance at some point.