Star Wars: The Mandalorian on Disney+

I haven't watched Episode 7 yet, but overall I'm glad I got the Disney package. We did the Hulu/ESPN thing, and since I've cut cable I've been missing live sports. I pay $13 for three different services, and it's OK.

I hear what you're saying about not paying for this series @Mavric & @Landlord. If this series is why you had gotten Disney, you'd probably be pretty disappointed.

What I like about Disney is they have all the Marvel movies, all the Star Wars shows, all the Pixar and their own Disney content, plus some new series that I haven't gotten around to watching yet.  There's also a whole National Geographic Channel section that I haven't dug into yet. 

I'm not sure how long I'll keep it.  We may end up rotating, where we have Netflix for a few months, then switch to Disney, then to HBO or something. Just to see all the stuff.

We're pretty much at our limit right now. We have Netflix, Disney, Hulu, and Amazon.  That's a lot of stuff, and we don't have nearly the same TV time that we used to.

• Plus1 1

9 hours ago, Mavric said:

And another episode that goes nowhere.  No lead in.  No reason.  Just some crazy s#!t we dreamed up.

Cliffhanger after the last episode - like it never happened in this one.

If it wasn’t “Star Wars” I’d be done.  Glad I didn’t spring for the subscription for this.

Haven't seen EP6 yet, but this is really disappointing to read. Since I have Disney+ free for a year through Verizon, I think I'm just going to wait for the series to air in its entirety and then binge the remaining episodes. It's tough to justify spending time on a show that isn't written very well, only then have to wait an entire week hoping it'll get better and it doesn't.

9 hours ago, knapplc said:

I hear what you're saying about not paying for this series @Mavric & @Landlord. If this series is why you had gotten Disney, you'd probably be pretty disappointed.

What I like about Disney is they have all the Marvel movies, all the Star Wars shows, all the Pixar and their own Disney content, plus some new series that I haven't gotten around to watching yet.  There's also a whole National Geographic Channel section that I haven't dug into yet. 

I agree with this.  I'll probably keep it because it does have a ton of stuff.  Just glad this show wasn't the only reason I decided to spring for it.

2 hours ago, Moiraine said:

Are you guys complaining about 7? I thought it was a good episode. And I'm not sure what prior cliffhanger you're talking about. I assume the owner of the space station and the twi'lek guy will show up again in a later episode.

2 hours ago, Cdog923 said:

This thread must be taking place in Bizzaro World; this show is great, and episode 7 was especially amazing. 

No, Chapter 6.  I haven't seen 7 yet.

14 hours ago, Moiraine said:

Are you guys complaining about 7? I thought it was a good episode. And I'm not sure what prior cliffhanger you're talking about. I assume the owner of the space station and the twi'lek guy will show up again in a later episode.

I'm assuming the cliffhanger is who came up to the bounty hunter laying in the desert at the end of episode 5.   Wasn't addressed at all in episode 6.   Watching 7 tonight to see if it gets resolved.

• Thanks 1

I think a lot of us walked into this series hoping it would be a little gritty and edgy - the way we pictured a Boba Fett-based series to be back when we were kids.

This isn't that. It's one princess away from being a kid's show.

That said, it's immersive Star Wars universe fun, and I'm really liking that.

Watched chapter 7 last night - I thought it was pretty good. The lead up getting to this point has been kind of clumsy, but now they are starting to tie the pieces back together. My kids both shouted at the TV at the end of the episode, so that counts for something in terms of cliffhangers and entertainment value. 

Carl Weathers' acting performance though - seems like he is reading off cue cards that only have three words on each card.

2 hours ago, Ulty said:

Watched chapter 7 last night - I thought it was pretty good. The lead up getting to this point has been kind of clumsy, but now they are starting to tie the pieces back together. My kids both shouted at the TV at the end of the episode, so that counts for something in terms of cliffhangers and entertainment value. 

Carl Weathers' acting performance though - seems like he is reading off cue cards that only have three words on each card.

That pretty much describes Carl Weathers' career, though. 

17 hours ago, knapplc said:

I think a lot of us walked into this series hoping it would be a little gritty and edgy - the way we pictured a Boba Fett-based series to be back when we were kids.

This isn't that. It's one princess away from being a kid's show.

That said, it's immersive Star Wars universe fun, and I'm really liking that.

I dunno...bounty hunters willing to snipe a child and getting blasted through the back, a jail break with a bunch of intergalactic a**holes, and a bounty wanting to get home for Life Day ending up in Carbonite instead?

For being a movie that appeals to an entire family and sells their streaming service, Disney has done a masterful job of this balancing act of grit and cute. Plus, Gus Fring showed up in the last episode (presumably to get the Mandalorian to cook for him on Navarro) *AND* we finally got to see a Tie Fighter land.

I don't think it's nearly as close as you're making it out to be...but yeah, it's not nearly as gritty as other entries (e.g. Rogue One, Empire) in the Universe. 

• Fire 1

I'm finally caught up with episodes 6 and 7, so some updated thoughts.

• Episode 6 felt like episodes 4 and 5 but with different characters. Overall, there didn't feel like a ton of valuable storytelling here.
  • Episode 7 was good and seemed like a natural progression of where this season was going to end up, but it makes episodes 4-6 feel even more confusing. Why was THAT the path we chose to get here? To not really address the overall plot through three episodes, all while sort of rehashing the same story elements time and again, is a bit maddening.
  • Some of the performances are disappointing. Gina Carano (Cara Dune) over-exaggerates her acting, Natalia Tena (Xi'an, the Twilek) was awkwardly weird and Carl Weathers is... well... I'll just say his role as a bad acting coach in Arrested Development feels a tad ironic now. To @knapplc's, I'm having sort of a hard time trying to figure out how seriously this show wants to take itself.
  • Plus1 2