New "No Blind Blocking" Rule

3 hours ago, WyoHusker56 said:

At about the 1:15 mark I think it's Williams throws a text book block based on the new rule. He doesn't blow the guy up instead he puts his hands up and turns his back into more of a screen than a block. 

I think Frost mentioned this one in the press conference.

Then at 1:53 you have one that maybe should have been called against South Alabama when the guy hits Spielman. Either that or a block in the back.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
4 hours ago, WyoHusker56 said:

At about the 1:15 mark I think it's Williams throws a text book block based on the new rule. He doesn't blow the guy up instead he puts his hands up and turns his back into more of a screen than a block. 

Perfect way for the defender to have a chance to get back in the play and make the tackle upfield instead of being neutralized for good (until the whistle).

• Plus1 1
6 hours ago, Landlord said:

Perfect way for the defender to have a chance to get back in the play and make the tackle upfield instead of being neutralized for good (until the whistle).

I completely agree but based on the new rule this is essentially what you have to do to avoid the penalty. 

I think this sort of 'passive' blocking maneuver will be fairly effective, as evidenced by Williams. The key really will be not 'lighting up' the tackler. We will need more data and examples but, so far, it seems like the rule worked as intended and it avoided the injury risk that they're trying to eliminate.

And, at the end of it all, the punt return was successful.

On 8/23/2019 at 2:54 PM, BigRedBuster said:

No,

Even though I see problems with the rule as we know it reading this thread, it's a continuation of trying to make the game safer.....which all of us should support.

We can support the intended goal and still believe this is a bad rule.

Why should we all support that? 

Is anyone being forced to play?  Is anyone being forced to watch?

Do you support making alcohol safer by eliminating all but 3.2 beer?

Are you in favor of banning any cigar that doesn't have some type of filter?

What about personal choice and personal accountability?

What about freedom?

What about the freedom for fans to watch a pure game which has not been watered down and ruined by attorneys and insurance companies?

• Plus1 1

The hard physical contact is an integral part of the game.  By sparing that hit you don't slow or intimidate the defender for future plays.  You change the nature of the game.  And it sucks.  The goal was to hit them as hard as you can.  So you can win.  It is the true essence of American football.  Give that up and what the hell is the point?

• Plus1 1

Can somebody on the board with the knowledge of the rules explain to me the legality or not of the So Bama second TD play (a 'pick' play at about 6:47 mark of the third quarter.   It appears to me that there could have been several possible penalties called on SBama (defensive pass interference; blind side blocking; targeting; defensive holding maybe).    Pick plays are 'legit' at or behind the line of scrimmage I thought?) but the receiver catches the ball 2 yards beyond the line of scrimmage and the blind side block (pick) was clearly intentional and our defender was not looking (i,e, blind) and was actually somewhat injured as well.  The hit occurs about 1.5 to 2 yards down field as well.  It was not all that close to the line of scrimmage at all and was clearly visable from the replays.  

This was clearly done purposefully and allowed an easy TD for the Jaguars in a third down situation.  If the penalty is called, we hold them to a possible field goal attempt most likely. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Can somebody on the board with the knowledge of the rules explain to me the legality or not of the So Bama second TD play (a 'pick' play at about 6:47 mark of the third quarter.   It appears to me that there could have been several possible penalties called on SBama (defensive pass interference; blind side blocking; targeting; defensive holding maybe).    Pick plays are 'legit' at or behind the line of scrimmage I thought?) but the receiver catches the ball 2 yards beyond the line of scrimmage and the blind side block (pick) was clearly intentional and our defender was not looking (i,e, blind) and was actually somewhat injured as well.  The hit occurs about 1.5 to 2 yards down field as well.  It was not all that close to the line of scrimmage at all and was clearly visable from the replays.  

This was clearly done purposefully and allowed an easy TD for the Jaguars in a third down situation.  If the penalty is called, we hold them to a possible field goal attempt most likely. 

I don't think anyone is going to be able to explain it as that was a missed call plain and simple. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

I believe the pass was caught behind the line of scrimmage so that throws out offensive pass interference

I think they did the "proper" blind side block which is more of a screen and less of a hit

Not sure where you get targeting

I didn't see a hold

On 8/31/2019 at 2:37 PM, Moiraine said:

None of this matters, because I'm perfectly fine with them using rules that gets the plays you're referring to called, and I think it's possible to separate them. You're ignoring the fact I just said it would be fine to make the Kenny Bell hit a penalty. That's exactly the type of play you're talking about. They can call them on players who launch into the defender or who make violent hits. Even if it's still subjective, it would prevent some of the dumber calls we've seen with this rule.

People have been documenting these calls closely so far, and the ones I've seen called were ones where the player was not at full speed, the hit was not dangerous, it was not jarring, and it was not violent. I saw one where the blocker hit the defender so lightly on a kickoff return he probably didn't even know he'd been touched.

I seem to remember that it was called a penalty.

35 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I believe the pass was caught behind the line of scrimmage so that throws out offensive pass interference

I think they did the "proper" blind side block which is more of a screen and less of a hit

Not sure where you get targeting

I didn't see a hold

I was rewatching this today and the receiver definitely moves forward before catching it. I'm pretty sure he was at least a yard if not two past the line of scrimmage. 

Edit: it's closer than I thought but he's downfield a bit. About 19:32 in this.