New "No Blind Blocking" Rule

On 8/23/2019 at 1:34 PM, Enhance said:

I'm interested (nervous?) to see how this is actually enforced because it seems like there could be a lot of nuance.

For example, if I'm a blocker pursuing a defender, and that defender's shoulders are squared up to me, but their head is turned and I'm technically outside their current "field of vision," will I be penalized for hitting them? I can understanding wanted to do away with the hits that happen on the side/shoulder pad area where a tackler clearly couldn't see it coming, but the language seems a bit vague.

That said, I don't rightly know or recall how many hits Nebraska blockers had last year that would qualify as a penalty now. I can't think of any off the top of my head but I'm sure there were some.

I'm going to go ahead and assume any sort of block that de-cleats someone is going to get called. It'll be interesting to see how this impacts offensive play calling, especially with pulling linemen or reverses. It could effectively ruin the ability to run mis-direction plays.

1 minute ago, billdozer15 said:

I'm going to go ahead and assume any sort of block that de-cleats someone is going to get called. It'll be interesting to see how this impacts offensive play calling, especially with pulling linemen or reverses. It could effectively ruin the ability to run mis-direction plays.

Tunnel screens could be dead as well, a pretty big piece of those is somebody picking off the trailing corner and/or pursuing LBs and it's almost always a block like the gif above. Used to just yell at the corners for not warning you, now I guess you yell at the ref to throw a flag. I thought the rule could make sense, but not officiated in the way it has been so far.

15 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

Tunnel screens could be dead as well, a pretty big piece of those is somebody picking off the trailing corner and/or pursuing LBs and it's almost always a block like the gif above. Used to just yell at the corners for not warning you, now I guess you yell at the ref to throw a flag. I thought the rule could make sense, but not officiated in the way it has been so far.

Ya this is going to be brutal on misdirection plays. Maybe if players try to just run in front of defenders, make minimal contact, hands in the air that way you slow them down, but don't decleat them.

2 hours ago, billdozer15 said:

It will become like targeting, actually a rule against hard hits.