Speed City

Mavric

4 hours ago, knapplc said:

I'd say this is a reference to both the speed of the players and the speed of the plays. I think the Offense is ready to move FAST. Sounds like they're practicing about as quickly as the coaches want, and they're ready to unleash it live.

If the coaches are speaking publicly about it, they're confident.

I like it.

I like it until they need to bleed clock and don’t know how.

3 hours ago, Scarlet Overkill said:

Now that you said that, a few practices ago, the offense struggled with the four- minute and two-minute offense. Being accustomed to moving fast, I can see how that will take time to master. 

12 hours ago, Scarlet Overkill said:

8 hours ago, Pedro G said:

Now that you said that, a few practices ago, the offense struggled with the four- minute and two-minute offense. Being accustomed to moving fast, I can see how that will take time to master. 

I don't think that's how Scott wants his offense to operate. I think if he gets things humming like he wants, it's stand on the gas and don't let up until they're finished. It's like when you tell a racing driver to slow his lap time down to conserve his tires. He loses his rythm and can end up losing the car. Better to just tell them to be smooth :B)

5 minutes ago, ZRod said:

I don't think that's how Scott wants his offense to operate. I think if he gets things humming like he wants, it's stand on the gas and don't let up until they're finished. It's like when you tell a racing driver to slow his lap time down to conserve his tires. He loses his rythm and can end up losing the car. Better to just tell them to be smooth :B)

I agree. It'd be interesting to see a stat on how often bleeding clock works vs doesn't. I can think of so many games where a team tried to waste time, but instead went 3 and out, gave the opponent great field position and ended up tied or losing. It's risky yes, but go for the win. 

13 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

I agree. It'd be interesting to see a stat on how often bleeding clock works vs doesn't. I can think of so many games where a team tried to waste time, but instead went 3 and out, gave the opponent great field position and ended up tied or losing. It's risky yes, but go for the win. 

I think there's a balance between trying to bleed clock and going for the win.  For example, Ohio State was up 2 scores last year against Nebraska early in the 4th quarter and they threw 3 incomplete passes.  IMO, I thought that was a terrible series.  If Ohio State runs at least twice, at least a minute and a half comes off the clock.  Not only did Ohio State go 3 and out, but the 3 incomplete passes took no time off the clock.

If NU is up by 2 scores early in the 4th quarter, I think it would be prudent to slow the offense down just a bit.  If the clock is running, I think NU could take the clock down to around 10 seconds on the play clock, rather than snapping the ball early in the play clock.  There are opportunities to let the clock run which NU should take better advantage of.

26 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

If NU is up by 2 scores early in the 4th quarter, I think it would be prudent to slow the offense down just a bit.  If the clock is running, I think NU could take the clock down to around 10 seconds on the play clock, rather than snapping the ball early in the play clock.  There are opportunities to let the clock run which NU should take better advantage of.

IMO that's way too early to be doing things differently.  Once you change what you're doing, it changes everyone's mind-set.  "OK, we're just going to relax and take it easy now."  Maybe go a little more run-heavy but not changing how you're doing other things

Once you get under about 5:00, then maybe tweak some things.  Before that I'm not in favor of the Frank Solich Prevent Offense (TM).

• Plus1 2