S. Alabama Depth Chart Released

knapplc

1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Neal was a big talent coming out of Omaha Central.  I am not sure what derailed his college career, but he may have been recruited as a 4-3 DE, and couldn't find a fit in the 3-4 scheme.  That's just a guess.  With 20-25 scholarship players recruited each year, and only 44 players on the 2-deep, around half of the guys recruited will end up as non-contributors.

I get that, but after 5 years in the program, one would hope that they would find their way.  Same with Anderson and Lee.

8 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Part of it is he's probably best-suited as a 4-3 DE.  Part of it is it seems pretty tough for a guy that big to win at "low man wins".  I was kind of skeptical from the start on that front.

But long arms help lock out and maintain spacing, particularly whenever you’re asked to 2 gap. Expect much better handwork this year under Coach T.

6 minutes ago, 30-50 Feral Hogs said:

I get that, but after 5 years in the program, one would hope that they would find their way.  Same with Anderson and Lee.

Looking at the 2015 class (who are now 5th year seniors) which was a combination of Bo and Riley recruits, 11 of the 21 enrollees ended up as contributors.  That's not a bad percentage, but there weren't a lot of "stars" from that class.  Stanley Morgan and Ozigbo had the best careers at NU, with Mo Barry the best player left from that class.

Lee and Anderson came in as 4-star recruits from great high school programs in Colorado.  I have no idea why they didn't up contributing, but it happens.

7 minutes ago, 30-50 Feral Hogs said:

I hope this isn't the case.  Neal is listed at 6-7 and we just recruited a DE at 6-6 and 3 OL that are listed at 6-7, 6-7, and 6-9

I'm sure it was more of a not finding his way in a different defense

NU wants huge DE's and big o-linemen so they can control the edges on both sides of the lines.

2 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

In fairness to Neal, I thought he played well early last year before they shut him down with a shoulder injury. If we're actually going to roll 9 deep, he could still contribute this year. But he hasn't been mentioned by Tuoti from what I remember, so that may not be the case. 

Forgot about Neal's injury to his shoulder.  That would have to be a tough injury to recover from and get enough strength to be an effective DE.

23 minutes ago, 30-50 Feral Hogs said:

I hope this isn't the case.  Neal is listed at 6-7 and we just recruited a DE at 6-6 and 3 OL that are listed at 6-7, 6-7, and 6-9

I'm sure it was more of a not finding his way in a different defense

Offensive line is a completely different set of circumstances.

Neal is 6-7, 310 as a senior.  Robinson is 6-6 315 a freshman and will possibly grow into being a DT.  So not quite the same.

• Plus1 2

5 hours ago, BIG ERN said:

Jameis Winston and Cam Newton played all year with pending cases. Maurice won't start but will play Saturday IMO 

My goodness yes and I believe Winston was facing a rape charge - a hell of a lot of difference between that and some simple inappropriate text message sent.   To say he's guility of a some serious crime for having had someone send his phone a text video (that's how it got on 'his' phone apparently) is simply unfair at a minimum.   Someone sent this very message to a participant in the said video so obviously she was aware of its existence etc.   The entire criminal proceeding being filed is borderline outrageous in my view.   Unless there is a lot more to the story than has been reported thus far, the case should  be dismissed with prejudice and an appology issued to Washington for all his trouble etc. 

In the meantime, Washington ought to be allowed to play and fully participate, unless there are specific team rules which provide that the simple fact of being charged with a criminal offene results in suspension from game participation.   This is just inherently unfair and turns our basic values of due process and the right to defend oneself before being punished upside down.        

• Fire 1
57 minutes ago, Frott Scost said:

If Mo is suspended for Saturday, I think Johnson is Mills backup. It says Mazour as third string, but I think it will be Johnson moving up. 

Technically they're both third-string (-OR-).  And they might go to Mazour for this game as we (hopefully) won't be in any danger of losing.

But I'd love to see Johnson get some snaps.  Lightning in a bottle.

39 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Technically they're both third-string (-OR-).  And they might go to Mazour for this game as we (hopefully) won't be in any danger of losing.

But I'd love to see Johnson get some snaps.  Lightning in a bottle.

Johnson also is listed as OR for the second kick return spot. I think he'll be a participant in most games this year.

• Fire 1