Blackshirts have been handed out

knapplc

1 minute ago, Cdog923 said:

Sure, I get that, and that is great, but that shouldn't be the only rationale to be a Blackshirt, IMO. And that play in question: he might have had a successful bull rush on a RT, but he was nowhere near making a play. He has also, on more than one occasion, ran himself out of a play and given up rush lanes/cutback lanes. 

Can he grow into a good/great player? Sure. His playing time this year is more of an indication of the lack of depth we have more than his actual ability at this point in time, IMHO. 

You pretty much just described our linebacker play all year long... 

• Haha 1
  • Fire 1

I have been critical of Nelson's play this year, as he is prone to miss assignments (at least I think he's missing them), not playing contain, and not playing with general discipline.

However, it's refreshing to see Nelson's passion for the game and attitude on and off the field.  That type of personality has been lacking across the roster for numerous years.  Coaches can teach fundamentals, technique, and discipline, they can't teach attitude and effort.

44 minutes ago, Jeremy said:

He plays 100%. Granted, he's made some mistakes, but he makes them at full speed, which is all you can ask of a player. There was one play in particular in which he absolutely ran over the Purdue right tackle, and Garrett gives up at least 75 lbs to the guy.

High motor, never gives up - we don't see that from everyone out there. If we had 11 Nelsons out there, I bet we'd be pretty stout.

Seems like everyone (except Lamar, he makes his jogging)is making mistakes at full speed..!  I get the full speed/dont be afraid to fail philosophy but you have to have to EXECUTE at full speed... you cant just have 11 guys running around at full speed and call it a defense.

3 minutes ago, twofittyonred said:

Seems like everyone (except Lamar, he makes his jogging)is making mistakes at full speed..!  I get the full speed/dont be afraid to fail philosophy but you have to have to EXECUTE at full speed... you cant just have 11 guys running around at full speed and call it a defense.

You know, you could just put "I hate Lamar Jackson" in your signature to avoid working it into every post you make.

Other than that - I agree with you. A lot of our guys are flying around, they need to be flying to their assignments though. That's the biggest issue currently.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

Dude gets it.  Happy for him, and, well deserved.  It's not about physical talent, and it's not always about making plays.  It's about doing trying your hardest to do the right thing all the time, on and off the field. 

Frankly, a reaction like this one to receiving a Blackshirt has been missing for a very, very long time.

As far as Jackson - good for him as well.  I'm former US Army, but anytime a fellow brother (or sister) in arms gets an accolade like this one and is holding up not just the reputation of whatever organization they're a member of - but also showing others how it's done as a former member of the US Armed Services, I will forever be a fan.

And at least now, we can at least have someone proficient in Combatives out there on the line :)

• Plus1 3
1 hour ago, TheSker said:

I think there are two important things Nelson brings.  First, he's not ok with being just ok.

Second, he's going to hold guys accountable in the weight room.

The weight room is a big, big deal to Frost.

It also validates the voice he will bring in the locker room - including the example he sets of expectations. Sprinting in between drills and on and off the field is something he'll instill in other players as well. 

9 minutes ago, bugeater17 said:

It also validates the voice he will bring in the locker room - including the example he sets of expectations. Sprinting in between drills and on and off the field is something he'll instill in other players as well. 

I think this move by Frost and Chinander has 2020 in mind.  They are showing all of the younger guys that a true freshman can come in, bust his a$$ every practice and game, and get rewarded for that effort.  That type of effort is going to be needed in S&C and Spring practice, and Nelson is someone who should be viewed as a team leader, regardless of age.

• Plus1 6

Most people on this thread aren’t wrong. I suppose the real question should be, 

is a blackshirt, with all the implications and history it carries, the best thing to use as a prop or motivational tool, this late into a season this poor? 

I honestly don’t mind either way. I’m ok with the fact that the coaches are at least trying something. 

• Plus1 1