Blackshirts have been handed out

knapplc

• 2 months later...

6 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

I honestly don't get the love for Garrett Nelson at this point. 

He plays 100%. Granted, he's made some mistakes, but he makes them at full speed, which is all you can ask of a player. There was one play in particular in which he absolutely ran over the Purdue right tackle, and Garrett gives up at least 75 lbs to the guy.

High motor, never gives up - we don't see that from everyone out there. If we had 11 Nelsons out there, I bet we'd be pretty stout.

• Plus1 2

11 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

I honestly don't get the love for Garrett Nelson at this point. 

I think there are two important things Nelson brings.  First, he's not ok with being just ok.

Second, he's going to hold guys accountable in the weight room.

The weight room is a big, big deal to Frost.

• Plus1 4
1 minute ago, Jeremy said:

He plays 100%. Granted, he's made some mistakes, but he makes them at full speed, which is all you can ask of a player. There was one play in particular in which he absolutely ran over the Purdue right tackle, and Garrett gives up at least 75 lbs to the guy.

High motor, never gives up - we don't see that from everyone out there. If we had 11 Nelsons out there, I bet we'd be pretty stout.

Sure, I get that, and that is great, but that shouldn't be the only rationale to be a Blackshirt, IMO. And that play in question: he might have had a successful bull rush on a RT, but he was nowhere near making a play. He has also, on more than one occasion, ran himself out of a play and given up rush lanes/cutback lanes. 

Can he grow into a good/great player? Sure. His playing time this year is more of an indication of the lack of depth we have more than his actual ability at this point in time, IMHO. 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
3 minutes ago, knapplc said:

If nothing else, we lose nothing from our current LBs when he's on the field, and he's only a freshman.

1 minute ago, TheSker said:

I think there are two important things Nelson brings.  First, he's not ok with being just ok.

Second, he's going to hold guys accountable in the weight room.

The weight room is a big, big deal to Frost.

These are very good points. 

1 minute ago, Ziebol said:

Lol explain.

I'd rather watch him make freshman mistakes at 100% speed then watch Davis and Ferguson make the same mistakes as Seniors every game.

Lol look up.