Blackshirts have been handed out

knapplc

8 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I think this move by Frost and Chinander has 2020 in mind.  They are showing all of the younger guys that a true freshman can come in, bust his a$$ every practice and game, and get rewarded for that effort.  That type of effort is going to be needed in S&C and Spring practice, and Nelson is someone who should be viewed as a team leader, regardless of age.

Agreed.  We have some very young guys that are emerging leaders.......Wan'dale, Nelson......and I think guys like Jurgens and McCaffrey will also prove to be really good leaders.

I'm not sure why this year's captains are struggling, but they are.

• Plus1 2

11 minutes ago, thatguy said:

Most people on this thread aren’t wrong. I suppose the real question should be, 

is a blackshirt, with all the implications and history it carries, the best thing to use as a prop or motivational tool, this late into a season this poor? 

I honestly don’t mind either way. I’m ok with the fact that the coaches are at least trying something. 

I don’t have a problem with it. 

11 minutes ago, thatguy said:I
11 minutes ago, thatguy said:
  • Plus1 1
6 hours ago, Husker in WI said:

You know, you could just put "I hate Lamar Jackson" in your signature to avoid working it into every post you make.

Other than that - I agree with you. A lot of our guys are flying around, they need to be flying to their assignments though. That's the biggest issue currently.

We need multiple hats to the ball every play.  That takes 11 players, executing at full speed every play until the whistle blows.  That last Purdue touchdown, Lamar took the play off, assumed his teammate was going to make the tackle and we gave up 7.   I'm not laying this all on Lamar as he wasn't the only player taking plays off, but collectively it cost us the game.

• Plus1 1

7 minutes ago, Skeeball said:

We need multiple hats to the ball every play.  That takes 11 players, executing at full speed every play until the whistle blows.  That last Purdue touchdown, Lamar took the play off, assumed his teammate was going to make the tackle and we gave up 7.   I'm not laying this all on Lamar as he wasn't the only player taking plays off, but collectively it cost us the game.

That wasn't the last touchdown, and the missed tackles and assignments are more responsible for us losing than guys not hustling. 

• Thanks 1

I did notice when Nelson has gotten a chance to play, I love his energy and heart he shows. Glad he got a blackshirt, because I think at this current state of the program, that is what it means to be a blackshirt. Showing heart and pride and refusing to let any team just mow over you.

It's simple really these days to be a blackshirt at Nebraska. Don't let Minnesota just line up and run it over you time and time again and seemingly not caring at all that they are doing it. Show some pride in the N you wear and what it means. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
23 hours ago, Husker in WI said:

You know, you could just put "I hate Lamar Jackson" in your signature to avoid working it into every post you make.

Other than that - I agree with you. A lot of our guys are flying around, they need to be flying to their assignments though. That's the biggest issue currently.

I don't hate Lamar... I just think he is over rated and feel we have better talent/energy on the bench..

1 hour ago, twofittyonred said:

I don't hate Lamar... I just think he is over rated and feel we have better talent/energy on the bench..

I don't believe that Braxton Clark would have done better than Jackson over the long haul of the season at all.

But moreover, in my opinion Jackson's individual play didn't cost us any wins this season. On that long TD pass in the Colorado game in the fourth quarter, he defended the play really well but it was a Joe Montana throw.

Against Indiana and Purdue, our pathetic lack of a pass rush was the story on defense, pretty much the entire game.

• Plus1 2
25 minutes ago, Ziebol said:

If Alex Davis still has one then the tradition is dead.

This comment deserves to be dissected because there are several layers to Alex's situation.

Chinander seems bent on having a guy who's a little bigger than "normal" sized outside linebacker but smaller than a traditional defensive end be the edge rusher on 3rd down passing situations. Davis was the only realistic body type to fit this role (6'5", not entirely sure of his weight but I'd guess between 250-260).

The thing is, this plan sucks unless the guy filling this role is extremely athletic and talented. So I'm not trying to blast you for your comment here but in my opinion it's more of a situation of Chinander not being able to adjust to do things differently based on the talent he does have. I find it kind of unfair to put Alex down for what he's attempted to contribute because it's the scheme that kind of sucks in my opinion.

• Plus1 2

And here I thought that blackshirts are earned...after all black shirts are a great privilege and not a right. The defense has yet to put a complete game this season. I simply don’t understand why they are being rewarded? This seems worse than buying ice cream for the team after a loss. I bet Suh would not be happy seeing the blackshirts being handed when some players have not deserved them.

They definitely haven't been living up to the standard performance-wise, but handing out/pulling the blackshirts multiple times a year is worse in my mind. I assume Frost/Held/Austin have a deeper grasp on the Blackshirt tradition than I do, and I'm sure they're not happy about how they look right now either. But it just gets ridiculous when they're constantly being yo-yoed - now it's the starters and 2 guys who the starters should be emulating in practice. Not a problem for me.

• Plus1 1