HuskerBoard has a new Owner ...

39 minutes ago, Ulty said:

Just curious...with the amount of grumbling from valued HB members on these threads and in the status updates, how much potential revenue can this site actually generate with all of the ads that are popping up? Are any of the web-savvy folks here able to roughly estimate the number of clicks, ads, and money that is at stake? What is a typical ad-click worth? How many hits does Huskerboard get on an annual basis?

With this board suddenly becoming less attractive and more cumbersome to use, is the ad revenue worth hundreds? Thousands? Millions? What does it cost to maintain a site like this? 

I don't have a big problem with the changes so far, minor annoyances more than anything. But a lot of people sure are getting pissed off. Is it worth it?

I work in digital marketing so I can try to estimate it but it's super tough to know. You can typically get on average a $1-$1.5 per 1,000 impressions on a site. A traffic estimator I found said the site averages 500,000 pageviews per month which could be totally off. It doesn't seem unreasonable in season though. So, that'd be $500-$750 per month with one ad per page. Then on top of that you get paid extra per click on a page. So, I don't think it's unreasonable a site like this could generate $1000-$1500 per month. This is all extremely variable so it could be way less or more, but it gives you a basic idea. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, WyoHusker56 said:

I work in digital marketing so I can try to estimate it but it's super tough to know. You can typically get on average a $1-$1.5 per 1,000 impressions on a site. A traffic estimator I found said the site averages 500,000 pageviews per month which could be totally off. It doesn't seem unreasonable in season though. So, that'd be $500-$750 per month with one ad per page. Then on top of that you get paid extra per click on a page. So, I don't think it's unreasonable a site like this could generate $1000-$1500 per month. This is all extremely variable so it could be way less or more, but it gives you a basic idea. 

can you convert that all to bitcoin?

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, desertshox said:

found your problem

No to derail this riveting topic but I always find it interesting when people make comments like this.  Did you have a problem with iphones at some point?  Or what is your issue with them?  I've had one for close to 10 years.  No issue.

Same goes with cell phone companies.  Some people absolutely hate Sprint.  I've been with Sprint for almost 20 years.  No issues.

5 minutes ago, desertshox said:

my wife had one. i didnt like it all. but that might have had more to do with my liking my blackberry and it was going the way of the dodo.

biggest issue i have had with sprint is, their service is non-existent where i live in nebraska. and you would think living 25 miles west of lincoln would have decent service.

Sprint can suck in big cities too.

David, if you're still listening....

What is your monthly revenue goal? I'm not asking you what it costs you to run the site. What do you need to generate per month to consider running HB "worth it"?

Because these ads are ridiculous and I'd rather see if we can drum up a fundraising event again and get you the money so you knock off the crap. 

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 5
27 minutes ago, dtbugeater said:

Man, ads suck but I guess I am used to them because I don’t think these are any worse than almost every web page. Plus you can x-out pretty easy. 

New guy has to make money. If this does it for him then I can manage to hit a few x’s to keep this board going. 

The ads are aren't even the biggest problem, IMO. 

It was posted like 3 pages ago - but you WOULDN'T KNOW IT because navigating this board and even having a discussion (gasp, on a message board) is so damn hard - everyone keeps posting the same exact message from page to page because no one wants to read 4 pages to see where the convo is before speaking their mind. It is just the same thoughts regurgitated because people can't have a discussion. On a message board. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
  • BigRedMax unfeatured and unpinned this topic