BBS Upgrade Wednesday 8/28 at 10 AM

26 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

I've seen people on here complain that someone else got more upvotes for the same comment.  Or the person who quoted said comment and agreed and got more upvotes than the original.  

This is the entire reason developers include rep systems in board software. Internet points are arbitrary and fake, but people are interested in them.

Reddit is a great example of this.

So you are attempting to migrate from Invision (a php/mysql application) to Xenforo (a php/mysql application).

With this free program (sql buddy) and a database username/pw for READ ACCESS you can look at the database schema of both applications and figure out how to map the data. http://sqlbuddy.com/

Each user in Invision clearly has a database field that contains the "member's total reputation" and another database field that contains the total number of posts. It is just a matter of finding the corrosponding fields in Xenforo and importing from Invision to Xenforo.

In my opinion, this should be done with Xenforo installed on a completely different domain: whatever.com

Once you see that all has gone well and whatever.com looks the way you want, then you just point the domain name huskerboard.com over to the whatever.com and delete whatever.com.

For that matter, it could be done in a SUBFOLDER of huskerboard.com (huskerboard.com/xenforo/) and when the operation is complete just repoint huskerboard .com to /xenforo/ as the root folder. Everything else would remain the same underneath that.

• Plus1 5
5 minutes ago, cheekygeek said:

So you are attempting to migrate from Invision (a php/mysql application) to Xenforo (a php/mysql application).

With this free program (sql buddy) and a database username/pw for READ ACCESS you can look at the database schema of both applications and figure out how to map the data. http://sqlbuddy.com/

Each user in Invision clearly has a database field that contains the "member's total reputation" and another database field that contains the total number of posts. It is just a matter of finding the corrosponding fields in Xenforo and importing from Invision to Xenforo. 

In my opinion, this should be done with Xenforo installed on a completely different domain: whatever.com 

Once you see that all has gone well and whatever.com looks the way you want, then you just point the domain name huskerboard.com over to the whatever.com and delete whatever.com.

For that matter, it could be done in a SUBFOLDER of huskerboard.com (huskerboard.com/xenforo/) and when the operation is complete just repoint huskerboard .com to /xenforo/ as the root folder. Everything else would remain the same underneath that.

No, no, no, no, no, no, no!

WE LIKE THIS SITE THE WAY IT IS. Please don't offer advice how to change it.

• Plus1 7

20 minutes ago, cheekygeek said:

Why would you even suggest this?  Are you an Iowa fan?

• Haha 2

had

29 minutes ago, cheekygeek said:

If we still had eye rolls, I would give you one.  Not because of the idea, only because I have no idea what you are explaining!  JK  Instead I will +1 in case the rep points carry over!

1 hour ago, cheekygeek said:

Next time I'm in Kearney you can explain it to me over a few beers at the Alley Rose. :cheers I know enough tech stuff to be dangerous. 

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, cheekygeek said:

Image result for nerd homer gif

Image result for can you repeat the part of the stuff where you said all about the things

• Haha 3
13 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

So, the conversion and changes are announced.  Everyone gets upset and complains.  We go through the conversion and nobody even noticed the board was down and any changes have been so minor most people can't even notice......and people are bitching.

Some people can't be satisfied.  

For someone with 15,000 non-transferable rep points you sure don't have any clue what is going on. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1