LeGrone, Hunt Suspended Indefinitely

Enhance

6 minutes ago, onlyHskrfaninIL said:

I would think there would be a police trail if it was something like sexual assault or theft.  If sex assault the punishment would also seem inconsistent with what is going on with Mo.  The only way it could be grades is if they really needed to get certain grades in the summer classes and they didn't.  That seems unlikely but possible i guess.  Given the timing (end of camp when depth chart comes out) and the fact that hunt seemed to be in good graces a week ago (meeting with media), I wonder if they had a blow up with coaches or possibly quit when they found out how the depth chart was going to fall.  

Mo is not being accused of a sexual assault. Also, Mo was not involved in the video which he had in his possession. 

So if this issue with Hunt and Legrone is a sexual assault situation, which no one knows yet,  then the 2 situations are completely different and should be dealt with differently. 

• Plus1 1
9 minutes ago, onlyHskrfaninIL said:

I would think there would be a police trail if it was something like sexual assault or theft.  If sex assault the punishment would also seem inconsistent with what is going on with Mo.  The only way it could be grades is if they really needed to get certain grades in the summer classes and they didn't.  That seems unlikely but possible i guess.  Given the timing (end of camp when depth chart comes out) and the fact that hunt seemed to be in good graces a week ago (meeting with media), I wonder if they had a blow up with coaches or possibly quit when they found out how the depth chart was going to fall.  

Firstly, alot of times sexual assualt is reported to the university and handled by the university before police get involved. Its a very weird and convoluted process that should probably be changed to if you as a university are notified of this you must go to the police immediately. Anywho, secondly being accused of sexual assualt/rape is far and away worse than what Maurice is being held up in court with. Its not the same. 

• Plus1 2

10 minutes ago, bugeater17 said:

Mo is not being accused of a sexual assault. Also, Mo was not involved in the video which he had in his possession. 

So if this issue with Hunt and Legrone is a sexual assault situation, which no one knows yet,  then the 2 situations are completely different and should be dealt with differently. 

I understand the known facts in the mo case are very different than actual sex assault.  I don't like the CA law at all and have defended mo.  However, the general public isn't necessarily very well informed or intelligent so they hear anything sex assault-related and lump it all in together.  I would assume the coaches know the optics and would not not let one player play but indefinitely suspend another.  It wouldnt look good at all.

• Plus1 2
5 minutes ago, onlyHskrfaninIL said:

I understand the known facts in the mo case are very different than actual sex assault.  I don't like the CA law at all and have defended mo.  However, the general public isn't necessarily very well informed or intelligent so they hear anything sex assault-related and lump it all in together.  I would assume the coaches know the optics and would not not let one player play but indefinitely suspend another.  It wouldnt look good at all.

Disagree completely. It's not the same, won't get lumped in the same and shouldn't get lumped in the same. Hunt and Legrone should be kicked off the team if they did indeed sexually assualt someone. I'm not even sure Mo should have to sit at this point. 

• Plus1 2
52 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

OK....clarify something.

How can an individual player violate a Title IX regulation?

Sexual harassment/assault falls under the title IX purview on campus 

Title IX violations were the first domino that undid the Baylor/Art Briles disaster. So it’s smart to suspend them immediately if there’s a whiff of anything. 

14 minutes ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

I'm not a fan of Benning either, but I'm hearing that it is criminal issue on campus.   I'm guessing that they were accused of sexual assault.  Only time will tell.

It would definitely fall in line with the statements by Walters/Frost. 

• Plus1 1
22 minutes ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

I'm not a fan of Benning either, but I'm hearing that it is criminal issue on campus.   I'm guessing that they were accused of sexual assault.  Only time will tell.

If that's the case, at what point does it move from campus PD to LPD? 

23 minutes ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

UNL Police have a daily crime blotter...there are some open cases listed for the relevant time frame but I didn't see any sexual assaults. 

https://police.unl.edu/safety-reports-and-statistics

2 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

UNL Police have a daily crime blotter...there are some open cases listed for the relevant time frame but I didn't see any sexual assaults. 

https://police.unl.edu/safety-reports-and-statistics

There may not have been an arrest by the UNL or Lincoln police.  There was probably a complaint filed by a student, which got back to the Athletic Department and Frost, which has led to the current suspensions.  Their status with the team will most likely depend on charges being filed.

3 hours ago, Nebfanatic said:

Firstly, alot of times sexual assualt is reported to the university and handled by the university before police get involved. Its a very weird and convoluted process that should probably be changed to if you as a university are notified of this you must go to the police immediately. 

A sexual assault issue would have undoubtedly been reported to both the Title IX office and the police. If it was reported only to the Title IX office, then the Title IX people share the info with the police. These are compliance issues based on federal regulations (Clery Act) and university policy.

Now, a criminal investigation conducted by police is different than a Title IX investigation conducted by the university. They can both happen at the same time, or not. And the processes for each will be different. If there was a sexual assault allegation, it is possible that a Title IX investigation is moving forward (which could result in a student conduct violation and sanctions from the university), but perhaps the victim did not want to pursue criminal charges. Maybe the police sit on it for a while until more evidence becomes available, but a Title IX investigation has to be carried out more quickly. There are plenty of reasons why none of this would show up publicly, if that is indeed what is going on.

In addition to that, since we are speculating that it is a Title IX issue based on nothing more than a cryptic Damon Benning rumor, it is entirely speculative and unfair to link Hunt and Legrone to a sexual assault claim. Sexual assault is not the only potential Title IX violation in the books (sexual harassment, stalking, indecent exposure, dating or domestic violence are other options, which are also serious of course, but different than rape). Or, since we don't actually know anything, it may not be a Title IX issue at all.

If anyone has questions about Title IX procedures on a college campus, I'm happy to answer/discuss. But I also think it is fair to pump the brakes on this level of speculation in this particular case.

• Plus1 5