Tailgating Recipes

Roxy15

I will post them here.  Some will be recipes that I have made and some will be recipes that caught my eye.

Chex™ Tailgate Party Mix:

6 Cups Peanut Butter Chex Cereal

3 Cups Kettle Corn

1-1/2 Cups Kettle Corn

1-1/2 Cups Food Football-Shaped Pretzels Or Mini Pretzel Twists

1 Cup Honey-Roasted Peanuts

1 Cup Candy-Coated Chocolate Candies Or Peanut Candy-Coated Chocolate Candies

In large serving bowl, add ingredients; mix well.

1C7ACDDF-9292-4E4B-AA0A-CE796B835B03.jpeg

This is a great dip if you are looking for a dip for the Nebraska game Saturday.  It has jalapeños so if you don’t care for heat, don’t make it!  

Spinach Artichoke Dip:

2-(8-oz.)-Blocks Philadelphia Cream Cheese, Softened To Room Temperature
1/2 Cup Kraft Real Mayonnaise
1 Cup Fresh Grated Or Shaved Parmesan Cheese
***I Use Kraft Finely Shredded Cheese In A Package
1-(7-oz.)-Can Ortega Fire Roasted Diced Green Chilies
1-(12-oz.)-Can La Costena Sliced Jalapeños-(I Dice Them)
2-(6.5-oz.)-Jars Mezzeta Marinated Artichoke Hearts, Drained Well, Tough Pieces Removed
& Chopped
1-(10-oz.)-Bag Frozen Sunny Select Chopped Spinach, Drained Well
***Put A Colander Over A Bowl/Put Spinach In It & Squeeze Moisture Out Of It

In a large bowl, add softened cream cheese,Real Mayonnaise; cream mixture and mix until smooth.

Next add remaining ingredients; mix until well blended.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Spread dip into baking dish and bake on middle rack of preheated 350 degree oven for approximately 30 minutes or until dip begins to bubble and begins to turn a light golden brown.  

Serve warm with your choice of crackers, chips, freshly sliced baguettes.

E1EA176F-B407-4DCE-BFF9-29AC27ACA1DD.jpeg

These are my favorite chicken wings!  They can be prepped ahead of time and baked when you need them!

I serve them with Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing. but, feel free to use your favorite dressing. 

Hidden Valley Dressing:

Put 1 pkg. Hidden Valley Dressing in a bowl and add 1 cup Real Mayonnaise and 1/2 cup milk; whisk.

I put the dressing in an empty salad dressing jar.

I used party wings!

Baked Hot Wings:

Make enough coating to cover the number of wings you have.

This probably covers 20 wings/ Made more than 20 wings so I repeated this recipe until all the wings were well coated. I also doubled the butter/wing sauce; it just depends on how many chicken wings you have.

Coating:

3/4 Cup All Purpose Flour

1/2 Tsp. Cayenne Pepper

1/2 Tsp. Garlic Powder

1/2 Tsp. Salt

Chicken Wings

1/2 Cup Melted Butter

1/2 Cup Frank's Red Hot Wings Buffalo Sauce

Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil; lightly grease with cooking spray.

Place the flour cayenne pepper, garlic powder and salt into a resealable plastic bag and shake to mix.

Add the chicken wings; seal and toss until well coated with the flour mixture.  Place the wings into the prepared baking sheet and refrigerate at least 1 hour.

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

Whisk together the melted butter and hot sauce in a bowl .  

Dip the chicken wings into the butter/hot sauce mixture and place on a baking sheet.

Bake in the preheated 400 degree oven until the chicken wings are no longer pink in the center and crispy on the outside, about 45 minutes.

****Be sure to turn the chicken wings over halfway during cooking so they cook evenly.

Served with Ranch Dressing.

8DC5553C-E869-4A8F-AE0D-FD50D3F913B1.jpeg

O
Bacon Wrapped Smokies:

***Frozen bacon is easier to cut: then thaw.  You can do this the day before and it’s ready to make!  One less thing to do!

1-lb. Bacon

1-lb. Smokie Links

1 Stick Butter

2 Cups Brown Sugar

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

2. Cut the bacon into thirds and wrap each smokie link.

3. Place all the wrapped smokies in a single layer in a baking dish. 

4. Melt the stick of butter.

5. In mixing bowl combine melted butter and 1 cup of brown sugar

6. Pour mixture over the smokies and bacon. 

7. Take the other cup of brown sugar and sprinkle evenly over the smokies. 

8. Bake for about 15-20 minutes and then turn the heat up to 400F for about 5 minutes or longer until the bacon becomes crispy.

FDBA171E-082E-440F-988F-1FE6F585D397.jpeg

Since Nebraska is playing in the morning, these rolls will come in handy!

These rolls are easy to make and they take no time at all to make them. 

Cinnamon Roll Bites:

2 Cups Flour
1 Tablespoon Baking Powder
1/2 Teaspoon Salt
1/2 Cup Cold Butter
3/4-1 Cup Milk
1/4 Cup Brown Sugar
1/4 Cup Granulated Sugar
1 Tablespoon Cinnamon
1/2 Cup-(1 Stick)-Butter, Melted

Made white frosting with powdered sugar, butter, milk and some vanilla, just eyeballed ingredients.

In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt using a pastry cutter.  

Cut the butter into cubes and add to the bowl.  

Cut in the butter with a pastry cutter or fork until butter is in pea-sized pieces.  I used a pastry cutter.

Stir in milk gradually, adding just enough so that the dough comes together.  Bring together in a ball with your hands.  If you accidentally add too much milk and it becomes sticky, just add a little more flour. 

Grease the sides of a 9-10 inch pie plate.

Place 3-4 tablespoons butter in the bottom of the pie plate, swirl to coat the bottom.

In a medium bowl, combine brown sugar, granulated sugar and cinnamon.

Roll dough in 1-inch balls and dip in cinnamon sugar mixture and place in the pie plate. 

Drizzle melted butter over the dough balls in the pan.  

Bake for 23-26 minutes until rolls are cooked and butter/sugar mixture is bubbling in the bottom of the pan.  I baked the rolls for 23 minutes.

***If you are using a pie plate smaller than 10 inches, it’s a good idea to place a piece of tin foil in the oven under the pie plate to catch any possible drips.

Here are 2 pictures, one picture before I put icing on and the other picture with frosting.

A8321B25-5CAF-4D66-A406-678F9075064C.jpeg

619E2265-B47C-4891-801E-45B73F987BD3.jpeg

I made homemade biscuits awhile back for dinner and they turned out great!  They hardly took any time to make and I will never buy those canned biscuits in the grocery store again!  I put sausage gravy over them and had eggs and homemade hash browns.  I like to put sausage gravy over hash browns too.  

Homemade hashbrowns are so much better than frozen!

I prepped the biscuits a couple of hours before I needed to bake them.  That is the secret to have the biscuits larger!  I also used a dough hook on the mixer to mix the dough after I used the pastry blender.

Biscuits:

2 Cups Flour
1 Tablespoon Baking Powder
1 Tablespoon Sugar
1 Teaspoon Salt
1/3 Cup Crisco Shortening
1 Cup Milk

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
***Trust me, the temperature is not too high!

Stir together flour, baking powder, sugar and salt in a large bowl.  Cut in shortening using a pastry blender until mixture resembles a coarse meal.

Put mixture into mixing bowl with a dough hook in place!

Add milk GRADUALLY, and mix for a few minutes or until the dough pulls away from side of bowl.  Don’t over mix!  The dough will be very sticky!

Turn dough out onto a heavily floured cutting board and kneed 5-6 times or just until it holds together!  Don’t overdo kneading!  I floured my hands before kneeding!

Roll out dough onto a floured rolling pin to 1-inch thickness.

Cut out 2-1/2-inch rounds with a floured biscuit cutter.  I don’t have a biscuit cutter so I just used a small glass and rolled the rim of the glass in flour.  It works just as well so there is no use for me to buy a biscuit cutter!

Brush off excess flour and transfer rounds to an ungreased cookie sheet, spacing 2 inches apart.  I lined the cookie sheet with parchment paper to make sure the buscuits would be easy to get off and that worked great!

Bake until edges begin to brown, 13-15 minutes.  I baked them for 13 minutes!

Store biscuits in an airtight container!

Reheat in 350 degree oven for about 5 minutes!

Sausage Gravy:

Scallions, Finely Chopped-(White Parts Only!)
***I Eyeball It, Depends How Big The Scallions Are!
1-lb. Pig. Jimmy Dean’s Hot Sausage-(Pork)
4 Tablespoons Butter
4 Tablespoons Flour
1 Cup Heavy Whipping Cream
***I Didn’t Have Any So I Substituted Milk & Thar Works!
Pinch Cayenne Pepper-(Opt.)
***I Like Spice So I Add It!
Salt & Pepper, To Taste
***I Used Garlic Salt

Preheat a large skillet to medium/high heat.

Add the scallion whites and a tiny drop of oil and sauté for about a minute.

Add the pork sausage and break up with a wooden spoon, browning all over.

While the sausage is browning, melt the butter in a Dutch Oven.  This will save mess because it will hold everything!

Once the butter is melted and the foaming has subsided, add the flour.  Whisk until it becomes a nice golden paste, about a minute. 

Add the heavy cream, milk, cayenne-(if using)-salt and pepper.  I used garlic salt!
***i just eyeballed it!
***I didn’t have heavy whipping cream, so I just used milk and that works!

Whisk until the gravy is nice and thick and creamy!

When the sausage is done, put sausage on a plate and using a paper towel, pat it to get the grease off!

Put sausage into the Dutch Oven that has the cream mixture!

Serve over biscuits and hash browns.

Pics of biscuits after baking and with sausage gravy over them. hash brown and scrambled eggs.

D25C0759-3EAF-453D-B8F6-9A409FF53EB9.jpeg

D603661B-B8E9-450F-B6FC-510BBE6EE1DF.jpeg

05F8BA29-F1C0-42BB-9637-5AF6DE066DFE.jpeg

Brown Sugar Peppered Bacon:

10 Thick-Cut Bacon Slices
1/3 Cup Packed, Plus 2 Tsp. Light Brown Sugar
2 T. Black Pepper

Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil.  Place a wired rack on the foil.  Place as many bacon slices as you can fit on the rack.

Stir together the brown sugar and pepper in a small bowl.  Sprinkle the bacon with the brown sugar mixture, pressing lightly to adhere.

Bake until the bacon is crispy, 35-40 minutes, rotating the baking sheet halfway-(on same rack)-once or twice during baking time.

A50F5A04-6AF9-4474-879B-D50CDE588C45.jpeg

Flour Tortilla Cinnamon Crisps:

***Line a cookie sheet with Parchment Paper or spray cookie sheet with Pam.

Pour some sugar in a bowl and sprinkle in some cinnamon-all to taste-to cover crisps; mix.

Using a spoon, put sugar/cinnamon mix in a shaker-(example: an empty Creole Seasoning Container, etc.)- to make it easy to cover crisps.

Spread soft Blue Bonnet Margarine-(in a tub)-over the top each flour tortilla you are using, with a rubber spatula.

Shake the sugar/cinnamon mixture over the soft butter of each flour tortilla you are using.

Flip each flour tortilla that you are using, over and repeat with sugar/cinnamon mixture.

As you do each flour tortilla, put them on top each other to stack them and put on a large cutting board.

By staking them, it will be easier to cut into crisps.

When finished prepping the  flour tortillas, cut them to  resemble a Dorito Chip.  

****I take a pizza cutter to make it easy to cut.

Put the crisps on prepared bakkng sheet and bake in the preheated 350 degree oven for 15 minutes.

***They firm up some when you take them out of the oven to cool off a bit.

D4FEDE59-9D6C-4722-961A-3106056CF4B3.jpeg

Stuffed Mushrooms:

Fresh, Large Mushrooms, Stems Removed

And Chopped

1-lb. Sausage

1 T. Worcestershire Sauce

2 T. Parsley Flakes

Garlic, Minced-(To Taste)

Salt

Pepper

1 Cup Cheddar Cheese

Cook altogether mushroom stems, sausage, Worcestershire Sauce, parsley, garlic, salt, pepper and cheese. Stuff into mushroom caps.

Bake at 350 degrees for about 15-20 minutes.

00301A06-B7E8-44D8-BA87-706BDEE1B395.jpeg

Shredded Beef:

***Great For Tacos, Burritos Or Tostadas.

2-1/2-3-1/2 lb. Roast
6-oz. Coke
***ONLY COKE AND NOT DIET!
6-oz. Mexican Beer-(Drink The Rest)
1/2 T. Chili Powder
1/2-1 T. Cumin
1/2-1 Tsp. Oregano
4 Garlic Cloves, Crushed
Jalapenos To Taste & A Few T. Of Juice From Jar
1-(11-oz.) Jar Vlasic Hot Garden Vegetables
***Vlasic Only!

Puree the jar of veggies, including liquid in blender, make sure to remove all stems from peppers. Add some jalapenos & a few T. of juice from the jar. 

Heat some Olive Oil in pan; take some flour, salt & pepper, roll the roast & brown in frying pan on all sides.

Put all ingredients in Crockpot except 1/2 of the pureed veggies.

Cook in a Crockpot on low all day.

Shred the meat with two forks, add the rest of the pureed veggies & keep on low for another hour or two.

2641ADC7-C687-4245-84D1-CF7D12706769.jpeg

This is good to make ahead of time and bake it when needed!  When football is on, I like to have something I can make ahead of time without spending the whole time in the kitchen while the game is on. 

I got the recipe from Olive Garden’s site

and it is the best lasagna I have ever made.  I did add chopped green pepper, 1 Package Jimmy Dean’s Hot Sausage, more Garlic and a package of Mild Italian Sausage that I cut in slices.  I will add some sliced fresh mushrooms to it the next time I make it.. I baked it in a large glass baking dish with a cookie sheet under it to catch any drippings.  I baked it at 325 degrees for an hour , but, it could of been hotter so I will either bake it longer the next time I make it or bake it at a higher temperature.  

Below is the video from Olive Garden, recipe and pictures.

I used a stockpot for this.

3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
1 Large White Onion, Chopped
1 Whole Bulb Garlic, Chopped In Small Pieces
***I Used More Than The Recipe Calls For
1-(1-lb.)-Pkg. Mild Italian Sausage, Cut In Slices
1-(lb.)-Pkg. Jimmy Dean Hot Sausage
1-(1.05- lbs.)-Lean Hamburger
1 Large Green Pepper, Chopped
2-(28-oz.)-Cans Crushed Tomatoes
1/4 Tsp. Dry Oregano
1/4 Tsp. Dry Basil
Garlic Salt & Freshly Ground Black Pepper, To 
Taste

Heat up a stockpot or large pan until medium hot.

Add Olive Oil, onion and chopped garlic.

Sauté until tender, about 5 minutes.

Add Italian Sausage, Jimmy Deans Hot Sausage and hamburger; break up pieces while cooking.

When the meat is done, drain grease 

Reduce heat to simmer and add 2-(28-oz.)-cans crushed tomatoes, 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano, 1/4 teaspoon dry basil, garlic salt and ground black pepper, to taste and chopped green pepper. to taste 

Simmer, stirring occasionally for about 20 minutes.

While the meat sauce is simmering, make the cheese sauce.

In a large mixing bowl, add 1-(2-lb.)-container whole milk Ricotta Cheese, 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded, 1/2 cup Romano Cheese, grated, 1 T. fresh parsley, chopped, 1 T. fresh oregano, chopped, 1 egg, garlic salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste; mix well.

Bring a pot of water to a boil; add 1 T. Olive Oil and a dash of salt.

Add lasagna noodles and cook according to pkg. directions.

When the noodles are done, drain and lay them flat on a piece of aluminum foil to keep their shape.

Spray a lasagna pan or baking dish with Pam.

Cover the bottom of the pan with meat sauce; spread it evenly.

Lay 3 lasagna noodles on top of the meat sauce.  

Spread cheese sauce over the noodles, just to cover-not all of it!  Spread evenly.

Repeat layers exactly with meat sauce, 3 lasagna noodles and cheese sauce.

End with a last layer of 3 lasagna noodles sand a layer of meat sauce.   No Cheese Sauce!

Sprinkle shredded mozzarella cheese over the top.  That will get it nice and brown/crusty and bubbly; spread evenly.

Coat a sheet of aluminum foil with Pam to prevent cheese from sticking.

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

Bake until heated through, longer than an hour.  Or bake at a higher temperature.

When serving, sprinkle Parmesan Cheese on top.

***I let it rest for awhile before cutting.

Served it with a salad and cheese bread.

FEF20910-23E3-40AF-9D54-B9B5FF463B46.jpeg

Bacon Wrapped Jakapeno Poppers:

22 Jalapeño Peppers, Approximately 3-4-in. Long

1-(8-)-oz. Pkg. Cream Cheese, Softened

1 Cup Cheddar Cheese

1/2 Tsp. Onion Powder

1/2 Tsp. Salt

1/2 Tsp. Pepper

12 Sliced Bacon

***Din’t Use Thick Sliced Bacon!

Cooking Spray

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Line a sheet pan with foil and coat it with cooking spray.

Cut the Jalapeños in half lengthwise and use a spoon to scoop out the seeds and ribs.

In a medium bowl, mix together the cream cheese, cheddar Cheese, Onion Powder, salt and pepper.

Fill each jalapeño half with the cheese mixture.

Cut the slices if bacon in half crosswise and wrap each pepper half in a slice if bacon, using a toothpick to secure the bacon.  

Arrange the peppers on the baking sheet and bake 20-25 minutes until bacon is crispy and browned.

Serve immediately.

5F9C6F5F-82B2-4E64-9050-7FA2924AE6CC.jpeg

Jalapeños:

1-(8-oz.)-Package Cream Cheese, Softened
2 Cups Sharp Cheddar Cheese, Shredded & Lightly Crumbled With Your Hands
1/2 Cup Finely Diced Seeded Jalapenos
1 Large Egg 
1-1/2 Cups Panko Breadcrumbs
1/4 Tsp. Salt
1/4 Tsp. Garlic Powder
1/4 Tsp. Onion Powder

Line a large baking sheet-(or 2 smaller ones)-with parchment paper.

Slice jalapeños in half length-wise and remove seeds; chop the jalapeños fine.

In a large bowl, combine softened cream cheese, shredded cheddar cheese, sliced jalapeños and egg; mix well.

In a separate shallow bowl, combine Panko breadcrumbs, salt, garlic powder and onion powder, mixing well 

Roll mixture into 1-in. balls, then roll each ball in the breadcrumbs.

Place on lined baking sheets, one-inch apart.

Bake in the preheated 350 degree oven for 8 minutes, carefully turn-(let them cool for a minute or two before turning)-and bake for 3-7 minutes more, or until both sides are lightly browned. watch carefully!

Remove from the oven and cool for a minute or two before serving.

Use your favorite dipping sauce-(opt.)

DFE69344-C96B-475C-B783-BEE49F8B9CDF.jpeg

If you want something quick for dinner, this recipe works!  You can prepare it way ahead of when you need it and fry it at halftime in the games you are watching or after   

Someone gave us some fish that he had caught and we had it awhile back with hushpuppies and tater tots.  I used Zatarain’s New Orlean’s Style Fish Fri Seafood Breading Mix Crispy Southern for the fish coating and used Louisiana Homestyle Hush Puppy Seasoned Cornmeal Mix for the hushpuppies; had some tater tots too.  

The hushpuppies turned out great!  I put some chopped green onions in the batter.  I prepared them ahead of time.  When I made them, I formed them into balls and put them in a Tupperware container and refrigerated them until time to make them,

That helps the hushpuppies to firm up before making them.  I deep-fried the fish and the hushpuppies.  Used some homemade Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing for a dip.

I always soak fish in milk for awhile; I flipped it over so the other side got soaked in milk, then I cut the fish in pieces so they would fit in the deep-fryer basket; put the fish in a Tupperware container and added the fish seasoning: shook the container to coat the fish and put the lid on and refrigerated it until ready to fry. 

D9F6AB82-0B8A-4DAE-B6E2-749B586CA403.jpeg

E6D272C2-7CC5-4191-AE3A-0DCCA1E74FAA.jpeg