The Athletic: An electric night at Nebraska: A behind-the-scenes look back at how a perfect storm spoiled Scott Frost’s first game

GSG

An electric night at Nebraska: A behind-the-scenes look back at how a perfect storm spoiled Scott Frost’s first game

Pretty good read from Sherman. Couple of tidbits that I enjoyed:

Burton said Nebraska sold a typical amount of concessions at the canceled game — on average, that includes 20,000 slices of Valentino’s Pizza, 14,000 Runza sandwiches and 12,000 hot dogs.

One option remained. Nebraska worked to secure housing on campus in empty dorm rooms. It arranged a hotel to cater breakfast for Akron on Sunday and sent two football staffers to Walmart to purchase bedding for the Zips.

No go, said Williams.

“To be candid, while I appreciated the effort,” he said, “I found that to be somewhat disrespectful. We are competitors. We’re not just a bunch of hired actors. We’re not the Washington Generals. We intended to compete on equal footing.”

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

25 minutes ago, GSG said:

“To be candid, while I appreciated the effort,” he said, “I found that to be somewhat disrespectful. We are competitors. We’re not just a bunch of hired actors. We’re not the Washington Generals. We intended to compete on equal footing.”

It was totally understandable why Akron would not want to submit to those sort of conditions, but I also wouldn't call it disrespectful. NU tried to do whatever they could to make the best of a bad situation and salvage the game. No need for them to be snippy about it.

• Plus1 4
4 minutes ago, Ulty said:

It was totally understandable why Akron would not want to submit to those sort of conditions, but I also wouldn't call it disrespectful. NU tried to do whatever they could to make the best of a bad situation and salvage the game. No need for them to be snippy about it.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.hustlebelt.com/platform/amp/2018/9/21/17888180/akron-ad-calls-out-nebraska-after-cornhuskers-refuse-to-schedule-zips

The guy's a dweeb

• Plus1 4

4 hours ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

Why couldnt they have moved the game inside to the practice field,  took a couple of cameras and put the action up on the video boards?  

I don't know any of this from an official rulebook or anything, but there's no way they would allow a game with all of the needed personnel, support staff, officiating crew, etc. to play a game in a space that small. Just having two full teams in there with coaches and trainers would leave no room on the field level.

People don't appreciate or understand how massive of a production a big time college football game is. The number of people involved and the number of things that need to be accounted for is so big that it's virtually unthinkable to just say, "Well let's do the exact same thing except somewhere else and in an hour". 

• Plus1 3
8 minutes ago, Landlord said:

I don't know any of this from an official rulebook or anything, but there's no way they would allow a game with all of the needed personnel, support staff, officiating crew, etc. to play a game in a space that small. Just having two full teams in there with coaches and trainers would leave no room on the field level.

People don't appreciate or understand how massive of a production a big time college football game is. The number of people involved and the number of things that need to be accounted for is so big that it's virtually unthinkable to just say, "Well let's do the exact same thing except somewhere else and in an hour". 

Well then it would just become "small time".  Coaches, players, refs, training staff.  Maybe when they build the new facilities they can keep it in mind..... just in case 

3 hours ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

Well then it would just become "small time".  Coaches, players, refs, training staff.  Maybe when they build the new facilities they can keep it in mind..... just in case 

Punts would bounce around in the rafters