*** Official South Alabama Game Thread ***

Mavric

3 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

I have faith in Frost; I just don't want him to sugarcoat anything. I need some sort of explanation for Martinez's performance other than "he had an off day" because I'm just not buying it. Next week will be very telling.

With the way Frost handles reporting injuries, don't hold your breath on him giving extra info on a player's performance.  What type of explanation are you looking for?

4 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

something... anything... just gotta know that his mental toughness hasn't been rattled

This is the first game in a number of games where Martinez has played poorly. If his poor play persists, then it’s time to start asking to get more answers from Frost. IMO, Martinez had an off game, and he will learn from it and get better going forward. 

1 minute ago, WyoHusker56 said:

This isn't a lot different than the offensive performance against Troy last year. The difference is we found a way to win and good teams do that. I have faith Frost will clean it up and there's no doubt Adrian is going to return to form. 

Did you forget Adrian didn't play against Troy last year? I'd say that's pretty different.

I also think they get it cleaned up,  but this was a clunker with our highly praised sophomore phenom at the helm.

3 minutes ago, runningblind said:

Did you forget Adrian didn't play against Troy last year? I'd say that's pretty different.

I also think they get it cleaned up,  but this was a clunker with our highly praised sophomore phenom at the helm.

Yup I did forget that. Wow my bad. Still think they clean it up and he returns to form. 

Am I the only one who thought our offense as a whole looked aggressive on the first drive and then they looked timid from there on out. Frosts play calling got extremely conservative and so did our play. Not to mention I think we ran more “power” plays today today then all of last year. It’s almost like he kept it super vanilla as not to show anything for next week. The few times he called things other than power or zone it seemed to work ok. USA’s defense didn’t have to think as there was almost no counters, nothing to make them think the ball was going one way just to see it go the other. I think Frost was keeping things close to the vest which made our offense look like trash

8 minutes ago, Gorillahawk said:

Am I the only one who thought our offense as a whole looked aggressive on the first drive and then they looked timid from there on out. Frosts play calling got extremely conservative and so did our play.

The problems were there from the first snap. A couple of big plays made the difference in that first drive.

Very late in the game it seemed we just packed it in, but for the most part it was pretty steady in this regard.

7 minutes ago, brophog said:

The problems were there from the first snap. A couple of big plays made the difference in that first drive.

Very late in the game it seemed we just packed it in, but for the most part it was pretty steady in this regard.

no Doubt we had troubles from the start, but we were at least aggressive enough to overcome the early mistakes to get a td. I felt like frosts play calling was questionable. We hit Stoll for two nice plays the first drive then barely go back in his direction. We didn’t make it a point to get it in jd or wandales hands near enough even though they obviously were the most dynamic players in the field. Instead we try to run between the tackles almost every play. Then after Martinez three the pick he seemed afraid to pass again. Just seemed a-typical of Frost to me

6 minutes ago, Gorillahawk said:

no Doubt we had troubles from the start, but we were at least aggressive enough to overcome the early mistakes to get a td.

The third down play in the first drive to JD was similar to a ball picked later, and another ball that should have been picked. We were aggressive in trying to get the ball downfield most of the game, we just didn’t execute.

8 minutes ago, Gorillahawk said:

Just seemed a-typical of Frost to me

It was, as talked about in other threads. It’s just hard to do some of these things you mention when you’re constantly behind the chains. 

13 hours ago, Gorillahawk said:

Am I the only one who thought our offense as a whole looked aggressive on the first drive and then they looked timid from there on out. Frosts play calling got extremely conservative and so did our play. Not to mention I think we ran more “power” plays today today then all of last year. It’s almost like he kept it super vanilla as not to show anything for next week. The few times he called things other than power or zone it seemed to work ok. USA’s defense didn’t have to think as there was almost no counters, nothing to make them think the ball was going one way just to see it go the other. I think Frost was keeping things close to the vest which made our offense look like trash

I thought the same thing. No mis-direction, and the tight ends disappeared. I was thinking AM was having a bad day, and Frost just shut it down and ran clock. 

I wonder if they ran the most boring offense ever because they didn't want to show Colorado anything or if the interior of the offensive line is so bad and the receivers so inexperienced it limits them offensively.

I can't remember a time when frost was at Oregon or UCF that offense was that basic. No misdirection, not much play action, not deep passing, only a couple quick hitting screen passes.

I'm definitely overreacting but this game worries me. South Alabama is a horrible football team and if Nebraska is really a top 25 team then they should have destroyed them.

On 9/1/2019 at 1:35 PM, LumberJackSker said:

or if the interior of the offensive line is so bad and the receivers so inexperienced it limits them offensively.

That doesn't mesh with what we've heard about practice, which then leads to the question of whether our defense is still bad. Call me crazy but 1 game against South Alabama doesn't convince me they're good. (Likewise, I'm not convinced yet the offense is suddenly bad).