What did we learn South Alabama?

3 minutes ago, FrankWheeler said:

Pump the breaks on Jurgens being the problem, he had some pretty bad snaps the first half but he didn’t play much the 2nd half and there was still no offense.  The run game was still anemic.  All game Martinez had time and guys open on a number of plays and made bad reads, throws, or just pulled it down and ran into a pile.

Farniok hair bros werent moving anybody.

• Plus1 3

We can get almost 90 pages on the game thread with the new posts per page format.

JoJo is a baller

Cam is a baller

Lee is a baller

I am not sold on a 3-4 D scheme without an elite NT and DE's

Martinez looked completely apathetic.  I said uninspired earlier, but apathetic covers it much better.

The whole O looked apathetic.  No fire. No nasty.  Just a whole lot of pushed around.  

I miss Oz.  A lot.  We do not have a power run game.  Running full speed into the DL is not power.  Power is pushing the pile.  Getting tough yards.

I miss Stan.  A lot.  We appear to have no deep passing game and today, no passing game at all.  JD, Stollet (@knappic) and Allen were the only receivers I remember catching the ball.

DL was not near as dominant as I had hoped.

We will not win the West with the team that took the field today.

Way too many missed tackles.  Guys in position, but didn't execute.

Frost said it best-"The worst offensive performance he has been a part of"

Moos was right saying 6-6 is an expectation this year.

Frost was correct not voting us top 25.

Team needs to shut out the accolades and realize like Chin said-People still see us as 4-8 until we change that.

We won.  It was ugly, BUT much better than losing. 

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1

First games are often a horrible barometer of the rest of the season.  I don't think it is sensible to become hyper focused on either end of the spectrum  The offense might not be that poor and the defense is unlikely to be turnover machine.  The defense today looked good against a team without the depth and talent that they will face moving forward.  The offense struggled most notably on the line and QB play.  Perhaps more disturbing is they looked uninspired.  Maybe this is the wake-up call that puts talk of personal trophies and division championships to rest and focus on game by game, play by play.  

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
3 minutes ago, FTW said:

Williams made bonehead plays, penalties, out of position. Think Dismuke will get better and so will Eric Lee. Both those guys made plays today.

Williams went out with an injury in the first quarter. I don't think its fair to not guess he can get better as well. When was he put of position? The late hit wasn't that clear and he whiffed on a tackle when no one could tackle. If he would have had the chance to settle in like everyone else he would have been good

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, Scarlet Overkill said:

Says every fan whose team just played a close game against a vastly inferior opponent.   Not really knocking you, but I see this every year from someone (not necessarily always HERE).

Do you think we called a particularly creative offensive game today?

• Plus1 1

Says every fan whose team just played a close game against a vastly inferior opponent.   Not really knocking you, but I see this every year from someone (not necessarily always HERE).

I think Frost definitely wasn’t showing everything with the offense, especially with the QB run game.

I disagreed with the announcers a lot on the Dline today, they kept saying they were getting beat by South Alabama.  I felt the Dline played pretty well, they kept the Oline off the backers for the most part.  Early on the backers missed a lot tackles, partially due to bad pursuit angles to the sidelines and then over pursuing the hole.

• Plus1 5
  • Thanks 1

I agree. Vanilla and ineffective do not go hand in hand. Today’s offense was vanilla but that is no excuse for being totally incapable of doing anything against an inferior opponent. I’m not giving up at all but they definitely have some things to get worked out.

The offense will come around. Wandale needs to be a huge part of this offense. The defense made some mistakes, but for a first game looked pretty good and aggressive. Also ( if they were holding back and playing vanilla for next week) we cannot take any opponent lightly. This team still needs to learn how to win and put their foot on another teams throat. They are not to ready to overlook opponents