What did we learn South Alabama?

1 minute ago, FrankWheeler said:

I disagreed with the announcers a lot on the Dline today, they kept saying they were getting beat by South Alabama.  I felt the Dline played pretty well, they kept the Oline off the backers for the most part.  Early on the backers missed a lot tackles, partially due to bad pursuit angles to the sidelines and then over pursuing the hole.

Completely agree, that was annoying me. 

If we would have had some semblance of a run game this would have been a blowout

• Plus1 2

The snaps to AM threw the offense completely out of rhythm all game, gotta fix that.

Defense had a completely different attitude and look compared to last year, loved what I saw from them.

Hopefully Pickering gets healthy by next week

We have a special freshman in Wan'Dale Robinson

My blood pressure doubles during the fall

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1

Yea I think we became way too predictable by getting very few yards on 1st down. Martinez is a leader of this team and you can't be a leader of this team and have terrible body language. He did after the game say that was on me but when you come out in the 2nd half at least change your mentality. Many players did not get to play today because of our poor performance. Vedral and maybe even McCaffrey should have seen snaps today along with the younger receivers and running backs. 

Edit: In the first half it was evident the snaps were frustrating but in the second half they were much better and he still looked off.

• Fire 1

16 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I don’t disagree, but calling for Martinez’s benching is a bit much. 

I am remembering TM playing injured. It would have been much better to let him sit and heal. I have no idea what was going on today, but the freshman phenom from last year was not playing today. If AM is hurt, I prefer to play a healthy QB.

24 minutes ago, HuskerPowerVA said:

First games are often a horrible barometer of the rest of the season.  I don't think it is sensible to become hyper focused on either end of the spectrum  The offense might not be that poor and the defense is unlikely to be turnover machine.  The defense today looked good against a team without the depth and talent that they will face moving forward.  The offense struggled most notably on the line and QB play.  Perhaps more disturbing is they looked uninspired.  Maybe this is the wake-up call that puts talk of personal trophies and division championships to rest and focus on game by game, play by play.  

Even though I expected better. Northwestern did lose to Akron last year and win the West. 

• Plus1 2
7 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I agree. Vanilla and ineffective do not go hand in hand. Today’s offense was vanilla but that is no excuse for being totally incapable of doing anything against an inferior opponent. I’m not giving up at all but they definitely have some things to get worked out.

I think people were expecting too much out of the offense today.  Yes, the performance by the offense was horrible.  The line was starting 3 new guys, including 2 or 3 underclassmen (sorry I can't remember right now).

Remember how everyone was excited about the youth on the offensive depth chart?  Well, that's a double-edged sword, especially early in the season.  Media guys were saying that the offense could struggle early in the season, and we saw that today.

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, CheeseHusker said:

I think Vanilla is becoming overused.

They were just bad.

Truth Martinez missed so many reads. He is now a question mark going forward until he proves otherwise he has another game like this I think the backup QBs might see the field. That performance isn't gonna cut it. Hes missing the most basic reads. He couldn't even make the right reads even on zone reads. I dont have high Hope's for him at least for the rest of the season. I'm hoping he proves me wrong this season, but I'm not confident 

Going into this game, was expecting to see a completely different attitude, discipline, and more power on the lines as compared to what Husker teams have looked like for the past 4+ years.

What we learned:  

***keep in mind this was against a terrible team***

1.  The #1 thing that surprised me was our o-line didnt look any better, in fact, it looked even less powerful than our weak O-lines of late.  We still cant get any push on the run.  Imagine how bad our run game would have looked if that were Wisconsin or Iowa out there on defense.  We made S. Alabama look like THE Alabama defensively.

2. We are supposed to have a really good D-line.  While they looked "decent" against S. Alabama, against Wisconsin or Iowa how is that gonna look?  I was expecting more from our D-line.  That is supposed to be the strength of our defense, we are thin @ LB and in the secondary, if our D-line is just average, im worried about our defense. 

3. Our overall Defense:  we did look pretty good overall, however was that more about how bad USA was? That question remains until we play a better opponent.  They did seem to have many open receivers, and just missed them many times.   Im worried about better teams passing on us.

4.Overall Offense: nothing to see here, we couldnt run the ball between the tackles, and receivers didnt seem to be able to get open.  Adrian had plenty of time, and still couldnt find an open receiver......against SOUTH ALABAMA.  Now i expect Adrian to play better in the future, but can our receivers get open??  An even bigger concern is can we run between the tackles against teams like Wisconsin? 

Certainly a concerning game, it seemed everyone from the crowd, to Frost, to the TV announcers, to even 2AM was shockingly underwhelmed with how our offense truly looks against someone other than our own defense.  I hope im wrong, but its making me think that we thought our D-Line looked good in practice only because our O-Line is worse than we thought.  We will find out over the next 2 weeks if our defense is truly much improved over last year.  Wishful thinking is that USA is better than advertised.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
2 minutes ago, BigPeterJ said:

Going into this game, was expecting to see a completely different attitude, discipline, and more power on the lines as compared to what Husker teams have looked like for the past 4+ years.

What we learned:  

***keep in mind this was against a terrible team***

1.  The #1 thing that surprised me was our o-line didnt look any better, in fact, it looked even less powerful than our weak O-lines of late.  We still cant get any push on the run.  Imagine how bad our run game would have looked if that were Wisconsin or Iowa out there on defense.  We made S. Alabama look like THE Alabama defensively.

2. We are supposed to have a really good D-line.  While they looked "decent" against S. Alabama, against Wisconsin or Iowa how is that gonna look?  I was expecting more from our D-line.  That is supposed to be the strength of our defense, we are thin @ LB and in the secondary, if our D-line is just average, im worried about our defense. 

3. Our overall Defense:  we did look pretty good overall, however was that more about how bad USA was? That question remains until we play a better opponent.  They did seem to have many open receivers, and just missed them many times.   Im worried about better teams passing on us.

4.Overall Offense: nothing to see here, we couldnt run the ball between the tackles, and receivers didnt seem to be able to get open.  Adrian had plenty of time, and still couldnt find an open receiver......against SOUTH ALABAMA.  Now i expect Adrian to play better in the future, but can our receivers get open??  An even bigger concern is can we run between the tackles against teams like Wisconsin? 

Certainly a concerning game, it seemed everyone from the crowd, to Frost, to the TV announcers, to even 2AM was shockingly underwhelmed with how our offense truly looks against someone other than our own defense.  I hope im wrong, but its making me think that we thought our D-Line looked good in practice only because our O-Line is worse than we thought.  We will find out over the next 2 weeks if our defense is truly much improved over last year.  Wishful thinking is that USA is better than advertised.

Jason, is that you? 

At at the end of the day, it feels good saying we beat BAMA. 

Nebraska has a winning record for the first time since early 2017. It doesn't feel right saying that but it is what it is. We collectively need to see some consistency and urgency from this team. They seemed a step too slow today. It was like they were dipping their toe in the water instead of just making plays. We played not to lose today instead of playing to win. As Husker fans, we have seen this too much. 

• Fire 1