What did we learn South Alabama?

18 minutes ago, HuskerJax said:

The offense will come around. Wandale needs to be a huge part of this offense. The defense made some mistakes, but for a first game looked pretty good and aggressive. Also ( if they were holding back and playing vanilla for next week) we cannot take any opponent lightly. This team still needs to learn how to win and put their foot on another teams throat. They are not to ready to overlook opponents

I wonder if they just had no motivation to play this particular team, thinking they could just show up and get the W - I thought that was in the past, but now, thinking it isn’t.  I can recall that even in a loss, the CU game last year was at least fun to watch the offense work.  This was about like paint drying.

23 minutes ago, lo country said:

We can get almost 90 pages on the game thread with the new posts per page format.

JoJo is a baller

Cam is a baller

Lee is a baller

I am not sold on a 3-4 D scheme without an elite NT and DE's

Martinez looked completely apathetic.  I said uninspired earlier, but apathetic covers it much better.

The whole O looked apathetic.  No fire. No nasty.  Just a whole lot of pushed around.  

I miss Oz.  A lot.  We do not have a power run game.  Running full speed into the DL is not power.  Power is pushing the pile.  Getting tough yards.

I miss Stan.  A lot.  We appear to have no deep passing game and today, no passing game at all.  JD, Stollet (@knappic) and Allen were the only receivers I remember catching the ball.

DL was not near as dominant as I had hoped.

We will not win the West with the team that took the field today.

Way too many missed tackles.  Guys in position, but didn't execute.

Frost said it best-"The worst offensive performance he has been a part of"

Moos was right saying 6-6 is an expectation this year.

Frost was correct not voting us top 25.

Team needs to shut out the accolades and realize like Chin said-People still see us as 4-8 until we change that.

We won.  It was ugly, BUT much better than losing. 

Reading through this thread I agree with this post the most. 

I like JoJo and Cam on the field.  Game ball to Lee, maybe he is just better at safety and props to him for a great game. Probably the worst game I have seem from AMart.  Looked slow and indecisive, didn't drive his throws, was inaccurate.  I didn't see him as one who would buy his own hype but he did not look ready to lead and play today.  I think part of this is that we don't have Stan as a security blanket anymore and the defense knows to double JD.  We have to find some other receivers.  I'd play more with JD, Robinson, and Washington all on the field at the same time.  These guys seem to be able to get open and make some tough catches.  Would like to see Warner as as a reliable target out there also.  AMart and our OL struggled against the amoeba defense they played as they dropped guys into coverage and confused AMart and our OL.  The OL and DL needs work.  We are not going to be able to hang with the teams that will dominate us in the trenches.  Props to Robinson giving us some spark.  Shout out to Lamar Jackson as he played pretty well.  I have no idea what the hype around Jurgens was.  

I just don't see how we are going to hang with the likes of Wisconsin who plays amoeba defense and strength is to run it behind a strong OL at our lackluster DL; their strengths are our weaknesses.  The lack of our power run is going to make it hard to break the big plays and keep defenses off balance.  We have some high level skill guys but there is no real threat of busting big runs from the backfield.  

Lots of work to do.  Will be interesting to see what the line is for CO.

• Plus1 1

I learned we should get the ball in Stoll's hands early and often.  In fact, take that hip thruster off the auto plates and rep with stoll's mullet.  Defense havoc rate was good (take aways, tfl, sacks, etc but seemed like a sieve against everything else.  It was bad but will get better.  

1 minute ago, Scarlet Overkill said:

I wonder if they just had no motivation to play this particular team, thinking they could just show up and get the W - I thought that was in the past, but now, thinking it isn’t.  I can recall that even in a loss, the CU game last year was at least fun to watch the offense work.  This was about like paint drying.

After the game, Frost mentioned that the offense didn't have good practices on Tuesday and Wednesday this week.  Benning mentioned that practices during the first week of school usually aren't as sharp during the first week of school.  With as many young guys on the offense, it's not surprising to see the offense struggle a bit.  I do agree that I didn't expect the offense to be as poor as it played today though.

4 minutes ago, Scarlet Overkill said:

that's an insult to drying paint

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

As bad as the offense was today, great teams are good at all 3 facets of the game so when one side inevitably has a bad game, the other 2 can pick up the slack and still win overall. The offense can't be like this all year, but the last 4 years we were losing so much because defense and special teams couldn't pick up the slack.

• Plus1 1

The O-line looked bad. The defense looked a little better, but this was against South Alabama. I sincerely hope our D-line hasn't been getting talked up this fall simply because they've been practicing against a bad o-line.

I expect our offense to get better as the year goes on, but they did not play well today at all.

• Plus1 2

- Cam Jurgens is nowhere near ready to be a starting center. 

- The middle of the offensive line needs a lot of work, but it's better with Farniok in. 

- That was Martinez's worst game as a Husker. He's going to have to clean things up quickly. 

- That was Chin's best game as a playcaller. Well timed blitzes all day. 

- I sincerely hope that the staff has an idea as to what will happen with Washington's trial.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

Ultimately, our sense of urgency was not there. However, I am confident in these players and coaching staff to get this fixed. Frost is the coach for now and later and I put my faith in him to get it right. Also, we can't compare UCF year two to year two of Nebraska. They are both completely different circumstances and teams. Nebraska has a much tougher conference they are in as well. Many of us are disappointed but we will get it right.

We are all so hungry for a quick turnaround but it might not happen until next year. There are also 11 games left on our schedule and we have a chance in all of them. If we are to have an underwhelming performance I am glad we got it out of the way now rather than against better competition. 

1 minute ago, Cdog923 said:

- Cam Jurgens is nowhere near ready to be a starting center. 

- The middle of the offensive line needs a lot of work, but it's better with Farniok in. 

- That was Martinez's worst game as a Husker. He's going to have to clean things up quickly. 

- That was Chin's best game as a playcaller. Well timed blitzes all day. 

- I sincerely hope that the staff has an idea as to what will happen with Washington's trial.

Have to agree with the above.  OL is a huge liability moving forward with no improvement.

To the bolded, I can't help but to think they know something hence the 1/2 game suspension.  Maybe everything is already known to involved parties and this was done to satisfy the parties.  Just a thought/hope.