What did we learn South Alabama?

Just now, ColoradoHusk said:

He didn’t have a good game when was in there. Plus, Lee had a great game after replacing him. 

Yes but no one was having a good game by that point. He was in position I think he would have settled like the rest of the defense but I don't think he played at all past the first quarter

Our offensive line is no better than last year.  Disappointing that Martinez got jumpy because line v was sub par, but her is a 2nd year player. 

1 minute ago, HIHusker said:

I learned that based on what Wiscy did to USF, unless USF is totally rebuilding/down this year, compared to what we did to SA means we might have our hands full at home against them this year.

Way too early 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

Today was admittedly disappointing. However...

- I thought the Defense looked pretty solid. Especially when you consider the Offense kept putting them in bad positions. Turnovers and tackles for loss were nice to see. 

- Strength and conditioning was evident. Lots of guys were noticeably bigger. No one seemed to gas out. 

- O was obviously disappointing, but I don’t see AM and Co. turning in that performance every week. 

- It was nice to see them experience some adversity, but find a way to win, instead of experiencing adversity and finding a way to lose. 

Obviously not what we wanted, but I’ll take the win. I’m thinking the O sharpens up next week. Mo’s situation should likely be settled by then. Hopefully Cam settles in. Having some film will allow everyone to tighten up.  

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

Our offensive line is no better than last year.  Disappointing that Martinez got jumpy because line v was sub par, but her is a 2nd year player. 

Way too early 

That's why I said 'might', but you are right.  I'm with the optimist fans that we had a bit of first game jitters/youth.  That being said, we have to get out sh*t together asap.  We have a very favorable schedule this year, might as well take advantage.  I pray that we show up as world beaters in Boulder.  Losing to them anywhere, anytime is almost the worst (see Texas for that).  Too much reliance on either the D or O for entire stretches of the season will be a problem.  No more 2009's please, thank you.  Game ball goes to the D and Spielman today.  Jurgens is young but his performance today was unacceptable. 

Two years straight Scott's team has had flat starts.  It's the same stuff that happened with Riley.   It's a good day when the other team gives you more gifts then your own mistakes you give away from simply bad football with poor discipline.  As one who had us at 7-5 ... this one shows everyone that no one really knows.  This year could be just as ugly as any other.  I had this one as a W ... but even I thought we'd be crisp at least in the sense of playing hard, playing smart and tough.  Never would have imagined Martinez being so tentative and "off".  No real surprise with the OL issues here. 

What I “learned”:

People leaving the stadium looked like NU lost. It was silent. Like a funeral. 

NU is not athletic. It will take a few years of recruiting and developing them to play with the big boys. 

Im betting Colorado next week (vomited a little in my mouth). 

Roll Martinez out. He didn’t go through reads today. 

The intro was good before the tunnel walk. 

7 - 5 seems a bit high for my pick, hope I'm wrong.  

Negatives:  

1.  The offense after the first series.  

2.  Turnovers.  

Positives:  

1.  Defense forcing turnovers and scoring.  

2.  Special teams (other than the fumbled return).  

3.  We didn't show Colorado anything on offense, hope that was by design.  

• Plus1 3