What did we learn South Alabama?

4 minutes ago, Mavric said:

The Good

• Eric Lee - Awesome for him.  Highest-rated recruit in the 2015 class but struggled to get on the field.  Might have saved the game for us today
  • JoJo - difference maker.  Hope he's full-go soon
  • Turnovers (defensive variety)
  • Defensive Depth - We rotated often at every position except corner (and Cam Taylor can play there if needed).  Many of the biggest plays where made by non-starters (Lee, Taylor, JoJo - even Sullivan had a couple nice sticks before getting lost on the TD)
  • Wan'Dale - Looks the part.  Surprised he didn't get the ball more
  • Mo Washington - Run game is just different with him in there
  • JD's punt return was a highlight of an otherwise forgettable day for him

The Bad

• Tackling wasn't great
  • Honas - only thing keeping him out of the Ugly category is hoping he's still shaking off rust.  Looked slow
  • Must be in the NLI for JUCO RBs to fumble in their first game
  • Offense was 3rd & 15+ on each of the first three possessions

The Ugly

• A lot of the offense
  • Mills especially
  • And Martinez
  • Turnovers (offensive variety)
  • Continually running inside when it never worked (was Frank calling plays today?)

Jurgens really deserves a callout in the ugly category IMO—there was a dozen or so high snaps, and the middle of the line was almost non-existent when he was at center. 

He got replaced at the half, but the damage was done. 

Otherwise, pretty spot on. :thumbs

It might be time to let the season tickets go.  I am tired of the University bilking for thousands of dollars, saying " oh we have a great program" then barely beating Sun belt team.  and its been going on since 2004.  At some point you say the emperor has no clothes.  You say we have a great team then you trot out a bunch of stoners with an offensive line looking they just came out of the biker bar ( literally)  and cant snap a ball or push around a 240 pound sun belt D-tackle.  

In practice they break huddle (Farnioks and all) by saying "pipeline".  These guys are as far from the NU pipeline as you are from the Alaska pipeline.  Maybe they are talking about the Mary Jane pipeline?  Sht I saw better football players on the movie Waterboy.  Heres to brighter tomorrows.

Good nite yall!

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 3
2 minutes ago, dvdcrr said:

It might be time to let the season tickets go.  I am tired of the University bilking for thousands of dollars, saying " oh we have a great program" then barely beating Sun belt team.  and its been going on since 2004.  At some point you say the emperor has no clothes.  You say we have a great team then you trot out a bunch of stoners with an offensive line looking they just came out of the biker bar ( literally)  and cant snap a ball or push around a 240 pound sun belt D-tackle.  

In practice they break huddle (Farnioks and all) by saying "pipeline".  These guys are as far from the NU pipeline as you are from the Alaska pipeline.  Maybe they are talking about the Mary Jane pipeline?  Sht I saw better football players on the movie Waterboy.  Heres to brighter tomorrows.

Good nite yall!

Im the most unreasonable person ever and i think your taking this alittle to far.  Gameday at nebraska is always amazing and if you really are a season ticket holder then maybe what youve forgotten what its like to go to a place like that.  Even if frost goes 6-6 this year, he is the man for the job, he is proving to make strides, he has control of his team.  These are all things that the last 4 coaches could not do.  I dont like coming out flat like that either, but there is a process and he has a great process.  It may take time but there is only one way to go when your at the bottom.  Keep your head up, well be fine.  Id take a couple tickets, id love to go to a game again.

Here are my thoughts on being at the game today.

1. The weather turned out to be good...not to hot or cold.

2.  I loved the new intro videos. Seemed like a new level of focus.

3. I agree with many comments that the offense was a mess. Between dumb penalties and poor snaps they had no rhythm in the 1st half and then barely had the ball in the 2nd half.

4. Wandale and JD are a mighty combo...looking forward to them causing teams fits.

5. Dline looked better to me overall. They still need to improve but I liked their push at the line.

6. Kicking game is worrisome. Not one touchback and the kicker struggled to get it to the 10. Had S Alabama not gotten penalties they would have had great field position on 2 kickoffs and maybe would have scored again. He also missed an easy FG. This and the O line are the 2 biggest concerns from today.

7. While the offense struggled, I think Frost was holding back many plays. It seemed a very conservative game overall with come wacky calls near the goal line. I am not sure why he doesn't have the QB do a keeper under center on first and goal from the 1.

I predict NU will look much sharper next week and win by 10 or more at Colorado. 

23 minutes ago, dvdcrr said:

Good nite yall!

I appreciate your take. I’m all for a little less hair flowing out from the helmet and a lot more for “hair on the chest”. The two are not mutually exclusive - let’s see what our Week One to Week Two showing looks like before selling those season tickets. :)

Last year when our offense went dormate or struggled it seemed like Frost could get things rolling with short passes, screens and designed QB runs. Maybe I'm wrong but I don't think I saw that today. 

Maybe things were just so broken even those didn't work, but it just felt like we'd try inside zone or something and end up behind the sticks and unable to catch up. 

Maybe it was by design just seemed weird compared to last year. 

38 minutes ago, dvdcrr said:

Good nite yall!

You’re fun at parties 

Learned sitting around 15 row around the 50 you see a lot of people. My buddy spotted a qb for the Rams? who won a super bowl or played in one that his son plays for the huskers, Kurt Warner. Pretty interesting to see him go down to the sideline and yell at his son. (Who I don't think was even playing) That was fun besides that a lot of Basketball recruits that has these passes around there neck with their names etc... Also other football prospects over all s#!tty game but fun time with the people around us.

1 hour ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Honestly, I can't disagree w/ that assessment, based on his performance today. Even in the postgame presser he looked like he was sleepwalking or had been huffing glue or something

I also agree.  Re-watch him run.  It seemed at 60% speed with little care.  He seems to be thinking way too much.  Something is not right.

• Fire 1

Just re-watched the game. Live, I was working and sort of watching, so I was off to the DVR tonight. Here are my observations:

1.  Not concerned about our lines. USA had some big dudes to try to move around and we did okay. 

2.  Martinez had a horrendous 3rd quarter and missed that easy TD pass to Wan’Dale before half. Otherwise, wasn’t too bad. Yes he forced some throws, but that’s correctable. 

3.  High snaps were a rhythm killer. Especially the one that lost about 20 yards basically negated a likely scoring drive. Again, correctable. 

4.  Other than the fumble, Mills played okay. Certainly not as bad as some think. He’s just not as flashy as Wan’Dale or MO, but will be good to have in the rotation. 

5.  Hate to criticize HCSF, but some play calling was suspect and didn’t put us in the best position to succeed. No doubt that will improve. 

6.  A lot to like on defense.  Very impressed with the improvements from last year. Good job coaches!

7.  Special teams has improved and will get better.  I don’t think we’ll see JD muff too many more  punts.  

8.  USA didn’t suck. Their QB made some great throws and they had some good athletes.  

9.  Wan’Dale, MO, JD?  Yes please.  

10.  Eric Lee earned a blackshirt IMO. 

11. Cam Taylor is a beast.  Again, props to the coaches. 

To summarize, most of what ailed us today is correctable and after re-watching with the benefit of rewinding. I feel A Lot better about this season than I did after the game. 

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, Decoy73 said:

Just re-watched the game. Live, I was working and sort of watching, so I was off to the DVR tonight. Here are my observations:

1.  Not concerned about our lines. USA had some big dudes to try to move around and we did okay. 

2.  Martinez had a horrendous 3rd quarter and missed that easy TD pass to Wan’Dale before half. Otherwise, wasn’t too bad. Yes he forced some throws, but that’s correctable. 

3.  High snaps were a rhythm killer. Especially the one that lost about 20 yards basically negated a likely scoring drive. Again, correctable. 

4.  Other than the fumble, Mills played okay. Certainly not as bad as some think. He’s just not as flashy as Wan’Dale or MO, but will be good to have in the rotation. 

5.  Hate to criticize HCSF, but some play calling was suspect and didn’t put us in the best position to succeed. No doubt that will improve. 

6.  A lot to like on defense.  Very impressed with the improvements from last year. Good job coaches!

7.  Special teams has improved and will get better.  I don’t think we’ll see JD muff too many more  punts.  

8.  USA didn’t suck. Their QB made some great throws and they had some good athletes.  

9.  Wan’Dale, MO, JD?  Yes please.  

10.  Eric Lee earned a blackshirt IMO. 

11. Cam Taylor is a beast.  Again, props to the coaches. 

To summarize, most of what ailed us today is correctable and after re-watching with the benefit of rewinding. I feel A Lot better about this season than I did after the game. 

Number 5 of USA is a beast we should of gotten him imho.