What did we learn South Alabama?

6 minutes ago, KazLong said:

Learned sitting around 15 row around the 50 you see a lot of people. My buddy spotted a qb for the Rams? who won a super bowl or played in one that his son plays for the huskers, Kurt Warner. Pretty interesting to see him go down to the sideline and yell at his son. (Who I don't think was even playing) That was fun besides that a lot of Basketball recruits that has these passes around there neck with their names etc... Also other football prospects over all s#!tty game but fun time with the people around us.

Also learned my friend is a better person than me, I wanted to get photos with Kurt, even though not a Rams or Giants fan or with the Nebraska Basketball team... We just let them watch the game. :(

1 minute ago, Decoy73 said:

Just re-watched the game. Live, I was working and sort of watching, so I was off to the DVR tonight. Here are my observations:

1.  Not concerned about our lines. USA had some big dudes to try to move around and we did okay. 

2.  Martinez had a horrendous 3rd quarter and missed that easy TD pass to Wan’Dale before half. Otherwise, wasn’t too bad. Yes he forced some throws, but that’s correctable. 

3.  High snaps were a rhythm killer. Especially the one that lost about 20 yards basically negated a likely scoring drive. Again, correctable. 

4.  Other than the fumble, Mills played okay. Certainly not as bad as some think. He’s just not as flashy as Wan’Dale or MO, but will be good to have in the rotation. 

5.  Hate to criticize HCSF, but some play calling was suspect and didn’t put us in the best position to succeed. No doubt that will improve. 

6.  A lot to like on defense.  Very impressed with the improvements from last year. Good job coaches!

7.  Special teams has improved and will get better.  I don’t think we’ll see JD muff too many more  punts.  

8.  USA didn’t suck. Their QB made some great throws and they had some good athletes.  

9.  Wan’Dale, MO, JD?  Yes please.  

10.  Eric Lee earned a blackshirt IMO. 

11. Cam Taylor is a beast.  Again, props to the coaches. 

To summarize, most of what ailed us today is correctable and after re-watching with the benefit of rewinding. I feel A Lot better about this season than I did after the game. 

If this game is the low point of the season I would rather it be this first game than another game. Last year, the Purdue game was the low point and it was the 4th game of the year. First game jitters happen and we need to improve a lot in some areas. However, the sky is not falling because I trust this staff to get it right. They know what needs to be fixed and we will be able to open up the playbook for next week against a solid opponent. Next week I bet you see more playmakers step up and Martinez playing like his old self. 

• Plus1 2

Did not get a chance to watch but a few minutes here and there (duty called), will watch DVR when I get to destination but what I saw looked extremely vanilla. Not proud of the play but happy with the win. There are some teams that were supposed to win this weekend, that would love to have notched a “W”. 

Biggest thing I learned was that some of the initial comments (some people made) on how poor Minnesota looked in their win, should be less critical before they know how we will play. Sh*t happens in CFB, let’s hope we were just a little tight and held back before next weeks game. Also saw one comment here in this thread about the high snaps throwing off our timing! Couldn’t agree more, it can definitely remove options that might be there if timing was right.

1-0 with much more to come! 

GBR!

Sounds like the team had a couple bad practices especially on offense leading up to this game. Also sounds like the coaching staff made the playbook a little heavier on Adrian during game prep week. Could be all a mental thing and maybe it was too much too fast for him. I trust that coach Frost and his staff will figure it out. 

2 minutes ago, FTW said:

Sounds like the team had a couple bad practices especially on offense leading up to this game. Also sounds like the coaching staff made the playbook a little heavier on Adrian during game prep week. Could be all a mental thing and maybe it was too much too fast for him. I trust that coach Frost and his staff will figure it out. 

Frost said they had fewer plays in this week than later in the season last year.

The high snaps definitely caused major issues. Frost's offense is super dependent on timing and reads and not trusting your center is a big issue. 

I wonder if the o lines lack of push affected any reads too. Hard to read a guy intentially unblocked when another guy is in the backfield too. 

• Plus1 1

What did we learn? I learned that some one needs to  wake me the hell up when off-season hype becomes an expectation instead of the crap I watched today. This team looked so terrible it’s mind boggling. O-Line non existent, D-Line was barely a factor, Running game was abysmal, too many penalties.

I can’t wait for the day I don’t have to sit there shaking my head at every game we are expected to win because we find a way to crap the bed. It’s freaking South Alabama. This is a Riley-esque game and anyone who thinks difference either has to be Scott Frost or related to him.

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 2

Although we might not be quite as good as I led myself to believe, we're much better than we have been...Anyone watch Tennessee lose to Georgia State today? The Vols were in the running for Frost and had to settle for a coach that's probably already on his way out...Few of his players looked like they even wanted to be on the field...Looking forward to the rest of the season to play out.

I learned South Alabama is much better this year. That doesn’t mean squat in terms of Nebraska, we still should win easily. But this was one of the worst teams in the country last year and they played hard today. If they can mix up their fronts like that, execute on the screen and option game...I mean they got a few things that may work for them against their level of competition. They didn’t just mail it in and collect their check. 

• Plus1 2

I haven’t watched the televised game, but live:

1. Our defense looked great until the pass happy, prevent defense started (still got a couple picks). Defense flowed well edge to edge on a mobile qb and sweeps for the most part (compared to aj bush last year as a similar frame of reference).

2. Wasn’t impressed with Mills. He packs no more punch than Washington and doesn’t have as good of vision.

3. I was hyping up Wandale before the game and all the people around me knew who he was by the end of the game. As advertised. Would recommend.

4. Cam struggles with snap placement. We all saw that. 

5. Martinez looked like a confident player who didn’t understand he wasn’t having a good day. Sometimes the best thing to do is let someone else have the ball and let them make a play.

6. Stoll is a beast. Should see 5-7 passes a  game no matter what.

7. Dline looked ok and seemed to free up the backers to do their job most of the time, but nothing really stood out.

8. LB looked pretty good. Mo is Mo. Davis looked huge and fast but wasn’t always in position on his assignment. Miller looked good when I saw him in. JoJo is an animal flying to the ball and should be on the field more. Honas still exists. I only saw Nelson on three straight plays late in the game, but he looks quick and is a big kid. Hope he sees more third down pass rush playing time.

9. Dismuke still seems to be lost in coverage or is slow. I am constantly unimpressed by him which is sad because: Cam Taylor, Lee, and Sullivan (limited time I saw him) all looked great. All three seemed to be better in coverage or getting to and filling the hole in the run game. I never watched Williams before his injury.

10. Jorgensen had a tough spot to fill, but looked shaken moving around before/after attempts and kickoffs. Hope he gets more confidence if he has to continue on all duties.

• Plus1 2