What did we learn South Alabama?

7 hours ago, KazLong said:

Also learned my friend is a better person than me, I wanted to get photos with Kurt, even though not a Rams or Giants fan or with the Nebraska Basketball team... We just let them watch the game. :(

If you are a grown man, do not get pictures with former athletes at their son’s sporting events. Also do not get pictures with other college athletes at games. It might be different if you are at a tailgate party or other social event. 

• Plus1 1

9 hours ago, teachercd said:

He put on 25 pounds of muscle...not 25 pounds of amazing Amigos soft tacos with ranch sauce.

If what some of these people are thinking is true...the entire team would be made up of 85 pound 4th graders.  Dude has one bad game and all of a sudden we go to the "working out is bad for you" card.  

10 out of 10 doctors agree that working out is good for you.  

And the 11th doctor lives in NYC and thinks it makes the batteries in your remote die faster...(or something really stupid like that :blink:)

• Haha 1

I think we'd have to say the most improvement appears to have been made in the defense and special teams, although both are still a work in progress.  The offense failed to show up apparently.    I am wondering if all the praise and expectations put on Adrian Martinez has overwhelmed him mentally.   He clearly seems to be afraid to fail which is the opposite of what Frost seems to say is what he wants his players to do.  I don't like the green (no contact) jerseys on the QBs in practice.   I believe you play like you practice and it seems like it making our QBs into 'flag' or touch football players.  They become accustomed to the game being slower as defenders are not coming hard, etc.  The QBs also tend to run with the ball less than full tilt and so on.    

Frost's offense is the most QB performance dependent offense we've attempted in Linoln in my view.  When the QB is really good and playing as well as a coach, the scheme will produce tons of yards gained and quite a few point scored.   But without a great QB, the offense falls on its face.

I wish we could have seen Vedral for a couple series as well.   I think we could diagnose the problems better.  I know many have posited that Frost's offensive schemes will somewhat compensate for a mediocre offensive line.   However, based on what we've seen so far in the Frost era, I am not so sure we can say that.   4-8 last year and this season is off to a impotent start this year.   We gained quite a few yards last year but only scored about 30 poiints a game.   Without ball control and time of possession dominance, 30 points is not enough to really put games a way unless you have a truly dominant - elite - level defense. 

I have been quite hopeful for this season and thinking that 9 or ten wins are within reach but after game 1, we have a long way to go before that may happen.  The hard part for me on this game is trying to find some kind of explanation for the offensive impotency that is easily fixable.   At this point, however, I don't really see it.      

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
3 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

I think we'd have to say the most improvement appears to have been made in the defense and special teams, although both are still a work in progress.  The offense failed to show up apparently.    I am wondering if all the praise and expectations put on Adrian Martinez has overwhelmed him mentally.   He clearly seems to be afraid to fail which is the opposite of what Frost seems to say is what he wants his players to do.  I don't like the green (no contact) jerseys on the QBs in practice.   I believe you play like you practice and it seems like it making our QBs into 'flag' or touch football players.  They become accustomed to the game being slower as defenders are not coming hard, etc.  The QBs also tend to run with the ball less than full tilt and so on.    

Frost's offense is the most QB performance dependent offense we've attempted in Linoln in my view.  When the QB is really good and playing as well as a coach, the scheme will produce tons of yards gained and quite a few point scored.   But without a great QB, the offense falls on its face.

I wish we could have seen Vedral for a couple series as well.   I think we could diagnose the problems better.  I know many have posited that Frost's offensive schemes will somewhat compensate for a mediocre offensive line.   However, based on what we've seen so far in the Frost era, I am not so sure we can say that.   4-8 last year and this season is off to a impotent start this year.   We gained quite a few yards last year but only scored about 30 poiints a game.   Without ball control and time of possession dominance, 30 points is not enough to really put games a way unless you have a truly dominant - elite - level defense. 

I have been quite hopeful for this season and thinking that 9 or ten wins are within reach but after game 1, we have a long way to go before that may happen.  The hard part for me on this game is trying to find some kind of explanation for the offensive impotency that is easily fixable.   At this point, however, I don't really see it.      

Every team in Anerica has done the no contact on QBs for years, that is not the issue. Honestly, I'm not worried about the offense. Adrian will be kicking himself in the film room because I think we could have done alot better on offense with a few different reads from Martinez. That doesn't fix the run game, but I think Frost can scheme the run game better than he did Saturday because we were pulling people into the box with our formations. Frost can play the mismatch game and create uneven numbers for our line to block which I think will help.

8 hours ago, WyoHusker56 said:

The high snaps definitely caused major issues. Frost's offense is super dependent on timing and reads and not trusting your center is a big issue.

This^. 

Also if your QB is forced to waste brain cycles & adrenaline just to bring in the ball from center, it can’t help the probability of a good play outcome.

• Plus1 1

21 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Besides Martinez looking like a deer in the headlights for the majority of the game, the only "easy" thing to point to is the OL.  Very inexperienced and replacing starters who to be honest, were not world beaters either.  Not an easy fix, as only experience will do this.  Sadly, for all the hype about how S&C crushed it, the OL appeared to get manhandled quite a bit......

I hope they  get it figured out.  Uphill from here.

iformation.png.0e0f369d12df46f014838252ce5036d3.png

I was encouraged when we motioned in the I on the first play. It's wasn't for nostalgia sake. There were times last year when we were 4th and 1 and really could have used some plays with the QB under center. Seeing the I formation leads me to believe we have a QB sneak (or a full back dive) play in the book now. I don't think we run this formation just for the toss sweep.

• Plus1 3
7 hours ago, brophog said:

I learned South Alabama is much better this year. That doesn’t mean squat in terms of Nebraska, we still should win easily. But this was one of the worst teams in the country last year and they played hard today. If they can mix up their fronts like that, execute on the screen and option game...I mean they got a few things that may work for them against their level of competition. They didn’t just mail it in and collect their check. 

Sorry but I'm not buying it. They might be improved, but they're not "much better." Seems like every season or two we play down to an inferior team, and then someone talks about how much better that team is from the year before. I remember back in 2013 when we barely beat Wyoming in the opener, and people were saying how much better Wyoming was that year and that they'd likely win their conference. They ended up 5-7. I bet Memphis blows S. Alabama off the field in a couple weeks when they play.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Gage County said:

iformation.png.0e0f369d12df46f014838252ce5036d3.png

I was encouraged when we motioned in the I on the first play. It's wasn't for nostalgia sake. There were times last year when we were 4th and 1 and really could have used some plays with the QB under center. Seeing the I formation leads me to believe we have a QB sneak (or a full back dive) play in the book now. I don't think we run this formation just for the toss sweep.

We did a QB sneak from under center later in the game though that was somewhat a strange formation

• Plus1 3
5 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Sorry but I'm not buying it. They might be improved, but they're not "much better." Seems like every season or two we play down to an inferior team, and then someone talks about how much better that team is from the year before. I remember back in 2013 when we barely beat Wyoming in the opener, and people were saying how much better Wyoming was that year and that they'd likely win their conference. They ended up 5-7. I bet Memphis blows S. Alabama off the field in a couple weeks when they play.

You apparently didn’t read the second sentence, but that’s ok, reading isn’t for everyone.

• Plus1 1