What did we learn South Alabama?

28 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

We did a QB sneak from under center later in the game though that was somewhat a strange formation

I'm thinking specifically of tOSU last year. AM lines up in the pistol, and quickly moves under center, tOSU puts 5 guys over the center. They knew (gambled) that formation had only one play. I'm hoping with the I formation we'll have plays we can audible into and have success.

• Plus1 1

18 minutes ago, Gage County said:

I'm thinking specifically of tOSU last year. AM lines up in the pistol, and quickly moves under center, tOSU puts 5 guys over the center. They knew (gambled) that formation had only one play. I'm hoping with the I formation we'll have plays we can audible into and have success.

That is a great point. I think that formation has a ton of possibilities with Mills at FB. When they ran the sneak  Mills was offset like a strong I fullback maybe they can motion an I back behind him in that formation as well. If not its kinda weird with Mills not directly behind Martinez.

17 hours ago, brophog said:

I don’t remember much of that, either, but I can say you really can’t pull if you can’t control the middle of the LOS and that was a massive problem all day. I’d have to go over the game to answer that better, but their NG really made things difficult for us, regardless.

Didn't their 1st string NG get hurt and leave early? It is sad if the 2nd string NG from a Sun Belt team that finished near last in defense last year can dominate the interior of our line. 

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, teachercd said:

The good news is...we are bitching about a win.

If this team is good, next weekend will not look like this weekend.  

This is the encouraging part. The offense had 2 turnovers, special teams added a 3rd, we rushed for under 100 yards on 44 attempts, our QB could not find the open man, and when he did, he usually missed the throw. Despite all that, our defense and remaining special teams easily won the game for us. The game was never in doubt, and at one point we were up by 21, and could have driven a steak through their heart if the offense was not so terrible. It looks like it will take a few games before the OL is ready. I have no idea what happened to AM, but I trust the coaches will correct it if there is not an injury. I hope he is not having more shoulder problems.

15 hours ago, The Dude said:

It's too early to question everything but I do wonder, for example, what Greg Austin was talking about when he said there's 12 offensive linemen ready to go.  I'm not sure if there's 5 at this point.

Also what was all that talk from the broadcasters about Verduzco overhauling Martinez's throwing mechanics this offseason?  If that's true he needs to go hack to what he was doing when he strolled on campus.

Your right he didn't seem to be able to drop anything in over the cb's . Everything was just a straight shot to a receiver. Let's hope our QB whisper {Verduzco}, hasn't changed what AM brought to the table last year. 

I also don't think Frost wanted to show to much, for Col to get a good look at what's coming. 

Col doe's have a very good QB and receiver, if they can get them open like S Ala did with their's, could take a shoot out to win.

GBR!!!

In the past four seasons of Husker football, there's probably only been two games that come to mind off the top of my head where our defense bailed out the offense and definitively won the game. Two of them occurred in the last three games. In my opinion, that's progress. I have a feeling Cam Taylor is going to get used in the game this week and I think we're going to play well on defense.

This offense was best last year when we threw the ball early in the first quarter. Part of this is because of where Washington's strengths lie both as a ball carrier and as a receiver. I believe Frost will do just about anything to win this Colorado game. I think it took Scott roughly five-ish games to figure out where the strengths really were in his offensive roster and once he had that dialed in, the play calling started doing wonders for our production. He's one of the smartest offensive minds in college football today; hopefully our fans recognize this and wait for the game on Saturday to play out before panicking about what the rest of the season is going to look like.

It was incredibly hard to get Adrian in rhythm when he had to jump for roughly 20% of the snaps in the first half.

39 minutes ago, Thurston from Pender said:

South Alabama QB more likely to win the Heisman than Martinez.

imagine if Nebraska played Alabama yesterday instead of South Alabama.

I’m worried about Northern Illinois and Illinois. Can we schedule Southern Illinois and Indiana State instead? Last minute switch?

Well aren't you a delight to have on board.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 2

42 minutes ago, Thurston from Pender said:

South Alabama QB more likely to win the Heisman than Martinez.

imagine if Nebraska played Alabama yesterday instead of South Alabama.

I’m worried about Northern Illinois and Illinois. Can we schedule Southern Illinois and Indiana State instead? Last minute switch?

If this is how you feel after a win I bet you've been a delight the last two years. 

I'm starting to come around to the vanilla offensive game plan talk.  I rewatched the first series of (probably scripted) plays and the offense looked great.  Hit TE Stoll a few times for nice gaines, got Spielman and Robinson involved early.  I'm guessing we see more of that in the future.  Did we go back to the TE at all in the 2nd half?

Martinez went down in the first game last year.  He may have been on a short leash as far as what they wanted him to do running the ball in this opener.  He was still able to dance out of some pressure pretty easily.  

Chinander's defense hasn't changed. We rarely overload or use Tannor, David, JoJo to our advantage. We run the same 5 flat alignments all the time and doesn't confuse the offense. Our safeties are also playing over 15 yards off the ball on situations where they don't need to be. Our defense def outplayed the offense, but we also played a very bad So Bama team. I really hope we turn it up next week. Colorado has a good offense. 

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

Chinander's defense hasn't changed.

I wasn't personally really expecting it to change. I'm looking for an improvement in the play of our run defense this year, both from the linebackers and down linemen.

7 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

Our safeties are also playing over 15 yards off the ball on situations where they don't need to be.

This was the real cause for concern.