What did we learn South Alabama?

4 minutes ago, mwj98 said:

Derrion Daniels looks slow and overweight

Not wanting to be overly critical of your take here but it's a bit funny because last year a lot of fans complained that we didn't have a big body in at nose tackle. Speed isn't usually a quality that you demand of a big nose tackle in a 3-4.   :)

• Plus1 4

27 minutes ago, The Dude said:

After his time at Oregon and UCF where Frosh relished in putting up 50-60-70 points on teams like this, I wonder why he's changed his philosophy to having a vanilla offensive gameplan.

I've said numerous times, in the past I thought we were vanilla by plan, then multiple games in I realized that's all we had.  No surprises, no new wrinkles, nothing but the same crap we showed in game one year whatever (2007-2017).  Frost is an innovator.  No way the most boring game plan I have seen in years was his designed plan.  Granted the O didnt play in the 2nd half, but the limited series in both halves was like ground hog day.  Penalties, going away from what worked, TO's (INT/fumbles etc).....High snaps didn't help.  3 new OL didn't help.  Neither did the play calling. They put like 30 guys in the box and we didn't try anything to get them out.  Deep routes, 2 back sets, misdirection, delays etc....They brought the house every time.  I don't know if we had an answer or simply chose not to show it....IMHO, AMart was off and the staff knew it, but stuck with him.  He looked tentative to run, almost worried to take a hit.  Playing "scared" comes to mind.  In a preseason presser he said he'd run 40 times a game if Frost asked him to.  Put on the weight to take the hits that Frost's scheme demanded.  But yesterday, he never lowered a shoulder, showed any wiggle....he was pedestrian.  Something has got to be up.  Or maybe I'm just hoping that's the excuse.

I watched a lot of football yesterday.  We did not look like a lot of the top 25 teams.  Oregon and Auburn were two of the fastest teams I saw play.  And they hit like runaway trains.  They, and other teams, passed the eyeball test.  We had flashes, but not consistency.  We are getting back, but it will take a while.

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, BIG ERN said:

Our safeties are also playing over 15 yards off the ball on situations where they don't need to be. 

It's weird because this was a problem going back to Bo Pelini's defenses. The entire secondary would give an unusually large cushion to receivers (not to mention RBs who broke through the line) and opposing offenses would exploit it. And for some reason we wouldn't make the adjustment -- not just in-game but season to season apparently. 

43 minutes ago, lo country said:

I watched a lot of football yesterday.  We did not look like a lot of the top 25 teams.  Oregon and Auburn were two of the fastest teams I saw play.  And they hit like runaway trains.  They, and other teams, passed the eyeball test.  We had flashes, but not consistency.  We are getting back, but it will take a while.

I guarantee you there were plenty of Top 25 teams that got their asses chewed by coaches today. I saw a fair amount of football yesterday and saw the expected amount of inconsistency.

12 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I guarantee you there were plenty of Top 25 teams that got their asses chewed by coaches today. I saw a fair amount of football yesterday and saw the expected amount of inconsistency.

UF, Auburn (against top 11 Oregon), Iowa ST and Stanford had very close games.  The other top 25 handled business pretty well.  From the games I watched and the scores we struggled.  If not for the TO's by the D and the ST TD, yesterday might have been a loss.  I never expected the D to ever have to save the offense. 

I would agree most teams made mistakes.  Most got an earful from coaches.  I still stand by my comment that we dod not look like a top 25 team.  Even Frost didn't vote for us to be top 25. I think he had us at 26 IIRC.  

23 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

It's weird because this was a problem going back to Bo Pelini's defenses. The entire secondary would give an unusually large cushion to receivers (not to mention RBs who broke through the line) and opposing offenses would exploit it. And for some reason we wouldn't make the adjustment -- not just in-game but season to season apparently. 

Yesterday was probably the first time since I can remember (2009/2010 possibly) that we had DB's actually playing press instead of giving a 10 yard cushion when 4 yards was needed for a first down. I was pleasantly surprised/pleased to see that as well as improvements on D.  Need to clean up missed tackles, but the sacks, TFL, TO's was great to see.  I just hope it continues.  Against CU last year we looked like sack kings and then cooled off.

2 hours ago, Undone said:

Not wanting to be overly critical of your take here but it's a bit funny because last year a lot of fans complained that we didn't have a big body in at nose tackle. Speed isn't usually a quality that you demand of a big nose tackle in a 3-4.   :)

Unsure if you will find many 300+ NT's that are ripped:D  He did appear to eat up some blocks.  I'm sure/hoping as the season progresses the guys start to gel, rotations get locked down and the level of play bumps up.  

Choosing to see that we’re 1-0. Yes, the offense that was almost shockingly bad. But I saw flashes of athleticism even on offense. Wandale is the real deal and he and Maurice have very similar styles. The defense attacked people and played fast-which we haven’t seen in a very long time 

The o-line is terrible and not sure how to find five fatties that can hold a block at this stage. And although special teams are much improved, can we not find a guy that can kick it out of the back of the end zone?

13 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

The o-line is terrible and not sure how to find five fatties that can hold a block at this stage.

I’ve always been hesitant on center, just so tough for any young player to come in and play, but the line as a whole I’m not kicking to the curb just yet. That was just such a strange game for the offense. 

I definitely don’t buy this talk that Verduzco ruined Martinez’s throwing or throwing motion, because if that’s the case they were lying all throughout fall camp about how improved he was. And I find it hard to believe they were just making s#!t up.

IMO, the options for his worse play are:

a) He isn’t as unflappable as we thought - he was nervous for the opener and just had a bad game. 

b) He had an undisclosed illness

c) He got the yips starting with the 2 bad practices this week. 

2 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I definitely don’t buy this talk that Verduzco ruined Martinez’s throwing or throwing motion, because if that’s the case they were lying all throughout fall camp about how improved he was. And I find it hard to believe they were just making s#!t up.

IMO, the options for his worse play are:

a) He isn’t as unflappable as we thought - he was nervous for the opener and just had a bad game. 

b) He had an undisclosed illness

c) He got the yips starting with the 2 bad practices this week. 

d) he put too much on himself as the leader of the offense and was trying to do too much.

• Fire 1
3 hours ago, BIG ERN said:

Chinander's defense hasn't changed. We rarely overload or use Tannor, David, JoJo to our advantage. We run the same 5 flat alignments all the time and doesn't confuse the offense. Our safeties are also playing over 15 yards off the ball on situations where they don't need to be. Our defense def outplayed the offense, but we also played a very bad So Bama team. I really hope we turn it up next week. Colorado has a good offense. 

Obviously you didn't really watch the game yesterday.

• Fire 2