What did we learn South Alabama?

6 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

So, you are assuming we would not have been able to execute anything. Hard to argue with, given what we saw but it also seems maybe a little too alarmist and negative. I’m going wait for another game before I form too much of an opinion.

I’m thankful we had this game. Would have hated to head into Boulder without the feedback from this first game. Just not sure how you fix an entire line in a week. 

• Plus1 2

18 hours ago, Moiraine said:

Yep. See Clemson. As the long as the conference is P5, you have a better chance winning a championship when your conference sucks.

Since 2008 Clemson has played one of Alabama, TCU, Auburn, Georgia, Notre Dame, and Texas A&M in their non con every year. That’s on top of playing South Carolina yearly. They’re definitely not afraid of scheduling big name schools.

2 minutes ago, DrunkOffPunch said:

Since 2008 Clemson has played one of Alabama, TCU, Auburn, Georgia, Notre Dame, and Texas A&M in their non con every year. That’s on top of playing South Carolina yearly. They’re definitely not afraid of scheduling big name schools.

I give them credit by scheduling tough non-conference games, but Clemson also benefits from only having 8 conference games per season, and it’s a conference that is lacking other programs which can compete with Clemson right now. 

32 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

I’m thankful we had this game. Would have hated to head into Boulder without the feedback from this first game. Just not sure how you fix an entire line in a week. 

Line up in formations that doesn't pull all of the defenders into the box. Run where the defenders aren't. Just for starters. We usually do those things, we really didn't on Saturday.

Anybody want to come up with an over/under number on the snaps that Jurgens will execute in practices between now and Colorado kickoff?
Before I even seem them, I'll take the OVERS.

LOL!

I also think that Jurgens will be on a shorter leash in the Colorado game. If this coaching staff is as savvy as I think it is, they will move Farniok over if Jurgens has difficulties again. We can't afford the snapping problems we had in Game One.

5 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Line up in formations that doesn't pull all of the defenders into the box. Run where the defenders aren't. Just for starters. We usually do those things, we really didn't on Saturday.

I saw a play on Twitter where Mills takes the handoff and just goes right into traffic in the middle, rather than following his pulling guard outside. The guard may have been going to the wrong gap, but Mills didn’t even try to do anything except run right into the middle of the pile. 

• Plus1 3
2 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I give them credit by scheduling tough non-conference games, but Clemson also benefits from only having 8 conference games per season, and it’s a conference that is lacking other programs which can compete with Clemson right now. 

Again though they play South Carolina every year. Either way they play 9 P5 teams same as the B1G. Yeah the ACC is pretty mediocre but FSU and Miami are big enough schools that they’ll always have good teams on paper; they just need to find good coaches.

1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I saw a play on Twitter where Mills takes the handoff and just goes right into traffic in the middle, rather than following his pulling guard outside. The guard may have been going to the wrong gap, but Mills didn’t even try to do anything except run right into the middle of the pile. 

He'll get to his 1500 rush yards; we only need to run him 40+ times a game.

On a serious note, his mentality was strange in his last presser prior to the game.  He says he wants to run people over; looks for contact.  When he gets tackled he gets even madder.

How about focusing on running DB's over and not trying to do it with DTackles

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

A little worried about Mills. I'm not sure if its all him, but his vision seemed terrible. If he can't figure it out I wonder if we don't end the season with a few freshman heavily in the rotation. I hope he can though because it doesn't appear to be lack of want to.

9 minutes ago, cheekygeek said:

Anybody want to come up with an over/under number on the snaps that Jurgens will execute in practices between now and Colorado kickoff?
Before I even seem them, I'll take the OVERS.

LOL!

I also think that Jurgens will be on a shorter leash in the Colorado game. If this coaching staff is as savvy as I think it is, they will move Farniok over if Jurgens has difficulties again. We can't afford the snapping problems we had in Game One.

Then why not just move Farniok over now? 

15 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

Then why not just move Farniok over now? 

Because clearly the coaching staff sees MORE UPSIDE with Jurgens in that spot.

We can afford a few miscues in live action, as long as we come away with a win. There is a huge difference between practice snaps and live game snaps and I have no doubt that our current coaching staff understands that. If the game was on the line and Jurgens is not improving, I also have little doubt that our coaching staff knows how to make a move to preserve a win. In the meantime, live game snaps are valuable.