What did we learn South Alabama?

1 minute ago, Nebfanatic said:

The fact of the matter is the offense didn't do some things we saw them do vs colorado last year as far as alignment and motion. After hearing all spring and fall how much everyone knows the playbook, I would assume its not because we couldn't do those things.

So Colorado already has film of us doing SUPER SECRET FANCY offense stuff against them, and against other teams all last season.

Then we decide to stop doing those things this time, and also decide to play really bad and snap the ball bad and badly not get open and run block really bad, all as a SUPER SECRET way of making them convinced that we no longer do those things, so then they think we're bad, so then they prepare wrong, and then we DO do all the good things and win?

• Plus1 2

I'm sure this has been brought up maybe not.  I'm not reading the entire thread.  USA probably spent most of their camp preparing for Nebraska.  It's their moment to shine.  Off the tape Nebraska watched for a week or two maybe, they came up with the plays that were going to work against USA.  Thats why Martinez pretty much stared guys down meanwhile dudes are standing around flapping their arms wide open.  I give it to USA's D coordinator he did a good job of calling defense and their d came to play.  USA is not short on athletes, they may be a little short on good football players. 

• Fire 1
16 minutes ago, Landlord said:

So Colorado already has film of us doing SUPER SECRET FANCY offense stuff against them, and against other teams all last season.

Then we decide to stop doing those things this time, and also decide to play really bad and snap the ball bad and badly not get open and run block really bad, all as a SUPER SECRET way of making them convinced that we no longer do those things, so then they think we're bad, so then they prepare wrong, and then we DO do all the good things and win?

We didn't scheme light boxes, we didn't use bubble screens, we rarely ran to the edge. I agree we didn't execute the gameplan well at all, but the gameplan was more basic than normal. Saying the gameplan was vanilla or however you want to word that doesn't excuse the execution, but it is the truth. 

And I think it has very little to do with not putting things on film for Colorado. Not sure of the reasoning but the game plan was limited and not because we can't do it. The players have the ability to line up in different formations and use more motion that isn't a question 

13 minutes ago, Landlord said:

Think about it. It's brilliant in it's simplicity. They'll prepare for a team like Incarnate Word but they'll get the REAL Nebraska Cornhuskers. 3 steps ahead grasshopper, 3 steps ahead.

Never said the gameplan was to play s#!tty. I think what we were doing would have worked well if the snaps were good from the start and Adrian had his head in the game. We couldn't run it up the gut at all , but we had success on the edge and recievers were getting open in the passing game. My point is, we can make running up the gut easier by using formations to create mismatches. We didn't do that on Saturday, and its not because the players aren't capable. That is not going to fix the execution, but alot of the execution can be cleaned up through practice and coaching.

• Fire 1
2 hours ago, brophog said:

I’ve always been hesitant on center, just so tough for any young player to come in and play, but the line as a whole I’m not kicking to the curb just yet. That was just such a strange game for the offense. 

Are we just not to the point we can change a game plan when it isn’t working? Maybe we’re just too young to do mid-game adjustments at this point because pounding the middle may not cut it next week. Need to spread it and use some of that young speed. 

30 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

I'm sure this has been brought up maybe not.  I'm not reading the entire thread.  USA probably spent most of their camp preparing for Nebraska.  It's their moment to shine.  Off the tape Nebraska watched for a week or two maybe, they came up with the plays that were going to work against USA.  Thats why Martinez pretty much stared guys down meanwhile dudes are standing around flapping their arms wide open.  I give it to USA's D coordinator he did a good job of calling defense and their d came to play.  USA is not short on athletes, they may be a little short on good football players. 

That should not matter. They’re a bottom 10% d1 team in the Sun Belt with a projected win total of 2.5.  A P5 team should be enough on its own for a comfortable win with backups in by the 4th

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
6 minutes ago, CapoValley said:

That should not matter. They’re a bottom 10% d1 team in the Sun Belt with a projected win total of 2.5.  A P5 team should be enough on its own for a comfortable win with backups in by the 4th

They are also year two of a new coaching staff if i heard correctly.  Maybe that coach is the next coach frost.  They were well coached and have athletes.  It can be a dangerous combination.  

• Haha 1
27 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Think about it. It's brilliant in it's simplicity. They'll prepare for a team like Incarnate Word but they'll get the REAL Nebraska Cornhuskers. 3 steps ahead grasshopper, 3 steps ahead.

Haha,  I wish this was true.  Slow play and bumble your way through an opening game after an offseason of extraordinary hype, so that your first "revenge tour" opponent gets over confident thinking the hype was unfounded.  Have them believing you stink, and the phenom QB can get rattled, then put 70 on them at their place.  Frost would do that to CU of all teams also.  That's the best part of this fantasy. 

I think I'll keep on believing that all week. Ignorance is bliss right?

45 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

That's the case for every patty cake opponent playing a P5 though.

4 hours ago, lo country said:

I've said numerous times, in the past I thought we were vanilla by plan, then multiple games in I realized that's all we had.  No surprises, no new wrinkles, nothing but the same crap we showed in game one year whatever (2007-2017).  Frost is an innovator.  No way the most boring game plan I have seen in years was his designed plan.  Granted the O didnt play in the 2nd half, but the limited series in both halves was like ground hog day.  Penalties, going away from what worked, TO's (INT/fumbles etc).....High snaps didn't help.  3 new OL didn't help.  Neither did the play calling. They put like 30 guys in the box and we didn't try anything to get them out.  Deep routes, 2 back sets, misdirection, delays etc....They brought the house every time.  I don't know if we had an answer or simply chose not to show it....IMHO, AMart was off and the staff knew it, but stuck with him.  He looked tentative to run, almost worried to take a hit.  Playing "scared" comes to mind.  In a preseason presser he said he'd run 40 times a game if Frost asked him to.  Put on the weight to take the hits that Frost's scheme demanded.  But yesterday, he never lowered a shoulder, showed any wiggle....he was pedestrian.  Something has got to be up.  Or maybe I'm just hoping that's the excuse.

I watched a lot of football yesterday.  We did not look like a lot of the top 25 teams.  Oregon and Auburn were two of the fastest teams I saw play.  And they hit like runaway trains.  They, and other teams, passed the eyeball test.  We had flashes, but not consistency.  We are getting back, but it will take a while.

This is a lot of what I saw. I’m very concerned about Adrian. He looked completely lost and uninterested. The latter you can fix. The former? He could not figure the reads out all day even with a change at center.  He couldn’t make throws 75% of the game. He showed no speed or escapability. I’m worried. 

Scott Frost may have an interesting decision. He is very loyal... and what to do if Adrian doesn’t snap out of it. 

The other concern is this is the year with the easier schedule. Next year is a gauntlet. We may be a better team, but the schedule gets nuts again. 

Rewatched most of the game.  And im not as low on this team as i thought i was.

Originally the D Line and O Line were my biggest dissapoinments.  After watching more closely, the D Line looks ok, even taking into account the weak OLine they were facing.

As far as the O line, the pass protection was pretty good.  The run blocking wasnt as bad as it looked, as USA stacked the box on most of our runs, and we really didnt have the ball enough in the second half to gauge that.  

One thing we really didnt look good at was our receiver blocking.  Our receivers are gonna need to block better if we want to be the offense we all hope for.

29 minutes ago, DefenderAO said:

I’m very concerned about Adrian.

I’m worried. 

Scott Frost may have an interesting decision. He is very loyal... and what to do if Adrian doesn’t snap out of it. 

Jesus you are dramatic :lol:

• Plus1 1