What did we learn South Alabama?

Not going to overreact after 1 game, but can't say I wasn't disappointed with Martinez play.  He wasn't making any reads.  He knew he was going to Mo on the INT.  On one of the other earlier near-INTs he had Spielman breaking open to the sideline but tried to force it to his first read.

Felt a lot different after his first game last year.  

• Fire 3

I am so disappointed by what I saw today.  I've been looking forward to this day for 8 months and then to see such a poor offensive effort:(  I give props to the D as everyone else is mentioning but I can't forget that South Alabama is not a good football team, heck, they have never had a winning record in their existence and were 3-8 last year.  So if our offense struggles against a better team, I fear our D won't be able to win us the game again like they did today.  The opening drive was so good and then it seems as if Martinez was stuck in quicksand.  We should have been able to run all over these guys.  I don't think next week is going to be pretty...ugh.

I learned;

2AM is not infallible.

Our O Line is not as improved as I'd hoped.

A guy who hasn't practiced the position enough can't come in and play center.

Defense looked pretty serviceable...but it was South Alabama.

Takeaways and special teams can win games (actually I already knew that)

All the off-season S&C hype just got served a dose of reality from a Sunbelt team.

Kool-Aid can cause a guy to predict 11 wins for an 8-9 win team.

I'm now worried about 3-4 more teams on our schedule.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 2
6 minutes ago, VectorVictor said:

I had this team going 9-3, and right now they’re looking like a poor man’s facsimile of Michigan State, which probably gets us to 7-5 at best.

Also, we don’t really have a whole lot of people we can plug into the O-Line to help shore up that weakness. Jurgens was supposed to be great, but I dare say his anemic play was what started the tailspin on offense. 

:waste

Pump the breaks on Jurgens being the problem, he had some pretty bad snaps the first half but he didn’t play much the 2nd half and there was still no offense.  The run game was still anemic.  All game Martinez had time and guys open on a number of plays and made bad reads, throws, or just pulled it down and ran into a pile.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1