What did we learn South Alabama?

2 minutes ago, cheekygeek said:

Because clearly the coaching staff sees MORE UPSIDE with Jurgens in that spot.

We can afford a few miscues in live action, as long as we come away with a win. There is a huge difference between practice snaps and live game snaps and I have no doubt that our current coaching staff understands that. If the game was on the line and Jurgens is not improving, I also have little doubt that our coaching staff knows how to make a move to preserve a win. In the meantime, live game snaps are valuable.

Altitude might necessitate switching out frequently. But man, it wasn’t just one or two errant snaps, it was almost every one of them. It’s easier to count the good ones. 

5 minutes ago, cheekygeek said:

Because clearly the coaching staff sees MORE UPSIDE with Jurgens in that spot.

We can afford a few miscues in live action, as long as we come away with a win. There is a huge difference between practice snaps and live game snaps and I have no doubt that our current coaching staff understands that. If the game was on the line and Jurgens is not improving, I also have little doubt that our coaching staff knows how to make a move to preserve a win. In the meantime, live game snaps are valuable.

I don’t think it’s just upside. They’ve made it clear that he’s just plain our best center. But hopefully that isn’t just in practice. 

It always takes a while for an offensive line (starting 5) to gel. Farniok had to go from thinking "center" to other position in live game snaps. Jurgens had a management "snap count" from the get go. The plan is to do just enough to win all the games until B1G play begins and then "release the hounds".  Hopefully we have the horses (and the breaks) to make that a reality. But having a defense that we feel good about is a GREAT Game One outcome, in my book.

• Plus1 2
4 minutes ago, cheekygeek said:

It always takes a while for an offensive line (starting 5) to gel. Farniok had to go from thinking "center" to other position in live game snaps. Jurgens had a management "snap count" from the get go. The plan is to do just enough to win all the games until B1G play begins and then "release the hounds".  Hopefully we have the horses (and the breaks) to make that a reality. But having a defense that we feel good about is a GREAT Game One outcome, in my book.

What do you mean by Farniok had to think about another position? Will Farniok is the backup center. Matt Farniok starts at right tackle. 

• Plus1 1
15 minutes ago, cheekygeek said:

I long for the day we try to kick every teams a$$ again and we are not worried about “holding back” until conference play 

• Plus1 1

7 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I long for the day we try to kick every teams a$$ again and we are not worried about “holding back” until conference play 

I hate it as an excuse. Our offense looked out of sync and sluggish. That needs to be the excuse not we were holding back.

• Plus1 1

I re-watched the 40 min version of the game and each high snap really screwed up the tempo. It stinks because really, the only way Jurgens fixes it is with in-game experience. You just can't replicate everything in practice. Seems like Farniok did a little better in the second half. Is it enough to make him start vs. Colorado? I think so.

There's still some people questioning whether the staff made the right decision moving Jurgens to center. I just think it will take a few games under his belt to get settled in. You don't completely give up on a kid like that. 

• Fire 1
3 minutes ago, FTW said:

I re-watched the 40 min version of the game and each high snap really screwed up the tempo. It stinks because really, the only way Jurgens fixes it is with in-game experience. You just can't replicate everything in practice. Seems like Farniok did a little better in the second half. Is it enough to make him start vs. Colorado? I think so.

There's still some people questioning whether the staff made the right decision moving Jurgens to center. I just think it will take a few games under his belt to get settled in. You don't completely give up on a kid like that. 

Jurgens will start. He is snapping it fine in practice you have to give him a shot to correct his mistakes. If he can't get it right in the game his leash will be much shorter.

7 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

We live in the era of getting people into space, putting pressure on a defense with tempo. Tempo/no huddle can cover up offensive line deficiencies with a skilled QB. Because Martinez had a bad game, those O-Line deficiencies showed in the game big time. 

What I'm worried about is becoming too one dimensional with Robinson and Spielman in the passing game and having a non-existent run game.

For at least 3 of Mills' carries, if he runs outside, its a 7+ yard gain. We also got really lucky on the PI called on the SA db when we were 3rd and goal. 

I know this is very cliche now, but since we can run I formation, we should ISO, option, or pitch our way in if we ever get first and goal from inside the 5. Maybe don't give 5 yds with the shotgun snap? 

If Mills likes to just run straight ahead, let him come blasting through on the trap option like Schlesinger.

We also need to steal that counter draw from Clemson where Etienne ran for 90. Beautiful play, because the line hardly had to block

1 minute ago, FTW said:

We live in the era of getting people into space, putting pressure on a defense with tempo. Tempo/no huddle can cover up offensive line deficiencies with a skilled QB. Because Martinez had a bad game, those O-Line deficiencies showed in the game big time. 

What I'm worried about is becoming too one dimensional with Robinson and Spielman in the passing game and having a non-existent run game.

Won't happen. This offense is run first. If we can't run our offense won't work all around

Just now, Jeremy said:

For at least 3 of Mills' carries, if he runs outside, its a 7+ yard gain. We also got really lucky on the PI called on the SA db when we were 3rd and goal. 

I know this is very cliche now, but since we can run I formation, we should ISO, option, or pitch our way in if we ever get first and goal from inside the 5. Maybe don't give 5 yds with the shotgun snap? 

If Mills likes to just run straight ahead, let him come blasting through on the trap option like Schlesinger.

We also need to steal that counter draw from Clemson where Etienne ran for 90. Beautiful play, because the line hardly had to block

Etienne is probably gonna be the #1 back in the draft next year, lol. Look at the NFL, a lot of Riley players don't even play but you see a lot of Pelini guys.

Still think Frost has work to do and we're another 1-2 years away from really humming.

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, Jeremy said:

It actually should have been a holding but there was no luck involved.  The defnder had the back of his jersey and was pulling it for a good 5 yards about a yard behind our receiver.  They ran directly in front of the ref and our receiver was literally dragging the defender behind him, he ripped his jersey in the process.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
2 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Won't happen. This offense is run first. If we can't run our offense won't work all around

We both know the USA defensive line won't be the most talented one they face all year. Mo Washington's YPC was promising, Mills was not. We had issues running power last year and converting 3rd & short, 4th & short. The same issues crept up against USA a few times.

If we don't have an inside runner, then you have to turn Martinez loose. I think we saw maybe 1-2 QB designed runs in game 1. There's a lot that wasn't shown in that game. And Martinez is right, a couple of throws he made if he could have them back, they're explosive plays that lead to scoring.

This should have been a 42-14 kind of game.

1 minute ago, HuskerInLostWages said:

It actually should have been a holding but there was no luck involved.  The defnder had the back of his jersey and was pulling it for a good 5 yards about a yard behind our receiver.  They ran directly in front of the ref and our receiver was literally dragging the defender behind him, he ripped his jersey in the process.

I couldn't see that during the game or on the YouTube replay. Agree about the holding, for sure.